Review of Liddy-Jean Marketing Queen

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Sean Patrick Tracy
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sean-patrick-tracy.html
Latest Review: Godspeed, Cedar Key by Michael Presley Bobbitt

Review of Liddy-Jean Marketing Queen

Post by Sean Patrick Tracy »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Liddy-Jean Marketing Queen" by Mari SanGiovanni.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

“Liddy-Jean Marketing Queen and the Matchmaking Scheme” by Mari SanGiovanni is a novel that explores the issues faced by children with Intellectual and Developmental Disabilities (IDD). The story is told through the perspective of 21-year-old Lindsay Jean Carpenter, known as Liddy Jean, who was born with intellectual challenges to Maggie and Stan Carpenter. The couple also has another daughter, Dawn, who does not have a disability. Despite assumptions that Liddy Jean would not be able to read, write, or reason like others, she resolves to prove everyone wrong.

Liddy Jean develops the ability to write early in life, always jotting down anything she hears to remember it. She has excellent hearing, which she uses to her advantage, understanding conversations that others assume she cannot comprehend. Her parents want her to work to socialize, and a job is secured for her in the marketing department of a company. This could be where Liddy Jean would make a name for herself; however, she would constantly be treated poorly due to her disability, especially by Gina. A promising prospect for her is an ambition she secretly starts working toward within the company, which would set her on the journey to exceeding everyone's expectations of her. What is that plan, and what are the huddles she needs to face to reach her goal? Grab this suspenseful and thrilling story to unravel more.

One of the most commendable aspects of "Liddy Jean Marketing Queen and the Matchmaking Scheme" by Mari San Giovanni is the portrayal of Liddy Jean's resilience, growth, and how she believes herself despite the societal prejudices against individuals with intellectual and developmental disabilities (IDD). The novel beautifully illustrates Liddy Jean's journey from being underestimated to her determination to set straight before everyone the reality she holds about herself in achieving remarkable success. For example, Liddy Jean's keen ability to overhear and comprehend office conversations that others assume she cannot understand is both a testament to her intelligence and an insightful critique of how society often underestimates people with IDD. Another thing I like about the book is its easy-to-read and understandable writing style, especially for readers under 18. The story humorously portrays the behaviors of children with disabilities and illustrates the importance of genuine friendship, as shown by Rose’s unwavering support for Liddy Jean.

This book earns my rating of 5 out of 5 stars because I don't have anything to dislike in it. The impactful and relatable qualities of the story are a great gain to me as a reader, as they help me get engaged while reading the book. I only found a typo in the book, which proves that it has undergone professional editing work.

The novel is most suitable for readers who enjoy heartwarming and inspiring stories of personal growth and triumph. It holds particular resonance for families and caregivers of individuals with IDD, offering them a narrative that underscores the importance of support and belief in the potential of those they care for. Additionally, the book would be an excellent read for educators, employers, and policymakers, as it provides valuable insights into the experiences and capabilities of people with disabilities, advocating for a more inclusive and empathetic approach in various societal contexts.

Liddy-Jean Marketing Queen
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Ifeanyi Nwokike
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ifeanyi-nwokike.html
Latest Review: Helpers Anonymous by Jeanne Tiberio

Post by Ifeanyi Nwokike »

Wow what a great review. I really enjoyed this review as it took me on a sweet ride about the book. What got me consumed is the tenacity and perseverance seen in liddy jean to prove she can become something or achieve something worthwhile regardless of her disabilities and the society's prejudices. Thanks!
Areena David
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17

Post by Areena David »

I wish this novel could be distributed to individuals with special needs, especially for readers interested in inspirational stories and personal development. It's also suitable for families and caregivers of individuals with intellectual and developmental disabilities. Additionally, it's particularly relevant for teachers, employees, and policymakers seeking a better understanding of the experiences and capabilities of people with disabilities, promoting inclusivity and deeper empathy for this community across various societal contexts.
Ammirati Michael
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Ironbark Hill
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ammirati-michael.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by Ammirati Michael »

I thoroughly enjoyed this review, as it provided a delightful exploration of the book. What captivated me was Liddy Jean's determination and persistence to prove that she can achieve something meaningful despite her disabilities.
Charlse Ochoa
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charlse-ochoa.html
Latest Review: Surviving the Business of Healthcare by Barbara Galutia Regis PA-C

Post by Charlse Ochoa »

"Liddy-Jean Marketing Queen and the Matchmaking Scheme" by Mari SanGiovanni immediately captures my interest with its heartfelt and inspiring narrative. The story of Liddy Jean, a young woman with intellectual challenges who defies societal expectations, promises to be both moving and empowering. I am particularly drawn to how the book portrays her resilience and intelligence, especially her ability to understand and navigate office dynamics despite being underestimated by others.
Sandre Lamar
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sandre-lamar.html
Latest Review: In It Together by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes

Post by Sandre Lamar »

Emotionally impactful and beautifully written.
Sandre Lamar
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sandre-lamar.html

Post by Sandre Lamar »

“Liddy-Jean Marketing Queen" by Mari SanGiovanni shines in its portrayal of resilience and determination, challenging stereotypes about intellectual disabilities through a compelling and heartwarming narrative.
Thomas D Flowers
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thomas-d-flowers.html

Post by Thomas D Flowers »

this review of "Liddy-Jean Marketing Queen and the Matchmaking Scheme" by Mari SanGiovanni makes the book sound both heartwarming and inspiring. The focus on Liddy Jean's journey to overcome societal prejudices and prove her capabilities despite her intellectual and developmental disabilities is compelling. I appreciate how the story highlights her resilience, intelligence, and the support from genuine friendships like Rose's.
Slippy Spectrum
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-slippy-spectrum.html
Latest Review: Sister B by David Charles Hart

Post by Slippy Spectrum »

Oh, y'all, this here book "Liddy Jean Marketing Queen and the Matchmaking Scheme" by Mari San Giovanni sounds like a real winner, sha! It's a heartwarming story about a girl with IDD who ain't lettin' nobody underestimate her. From what I reckon, this book is worth every minute of your time. With a 5 outta 5 star rating, it's got me mighty intrigued. So go on, give it a read, and let Liddy Jean show y'all what real determination looks like! Immersive world-building, felt expansive and richly imagined.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”