Official Review: A Faithful Son by Michael Scott Garvin

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kinnera
Currently Reading: Escape
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kinnera.html
Latest Review: "A Faithful Son" by Michael Scott Garvin

Official Review: A Faithful Son by Michael Scott Garvin

Post by Kinnera »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "A Faithful Son" by Michael Scott Garvin.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

A Faithful Son by Michael Scott Garvin is a striking tale of coming-of-age, loss, sexuality, and self-discovery, filled with rich characters and beautiful prose. The story follows Zach Nance from his childhood in Durango, Colorado to adult years in Los Angeles. With colourful characters in a small town, the townspeople are significant entities in the lives of Zach and his family. Zach faces considerable challenges, including the death of a loved one, his father's eventual slide into alcoholism, and facing his own sexual orientation when there is no acceptance of homosexuality. As the title suggests, the story is based on the idea of Zach as a ‘faithful son’ and duty to family factors into the novel till the very end.

Filled with vibrant writing and vivid with descriptions that open windows into a different world, A Faithful Son shows the evolution of Zach’s observant and deeply sensitive personality in a rural perspective, alongside America’s shifting economic conditions. Zach, an old-fashioned soul, accepts both dark times and life’s pleasures as his due. As a closeted gay young man raised by a devoutly religious mother, Zach attempts to navigate life, entrusting his faith in a God he questions.

My favourite part of the storyline was that each phase of Zach’s journey – his childhood, teen years, adulthood- was dealt with separately. Rather than a singular plotline, the novel follows Zach’s decisions episodically and provides a beautifully realistic perspective of life. There is painful clarity to the life Zach leads and he is never free of constraint, but the story weaves in the choices he makes at every crossroad he reaches in life.

The author delves deeply into the characters, and it is reflected in the compelling prose. While the story does not flow with surprising twists, it is populated with extremely believable characters and a pragmatic line of thought. The families in the small town share the richness of their beliefs and the community finds joy in its strong connections to the church.

Other than Zach, the book does not have any defined protagonists or antagonists, but the characters feel like a natural progression of the story. Written in a matter-of-fact tone, the book has multi-faceted characters with stories and secrets of their own. At times, the novel feels like it borders on non-fiction, but it is just a representation of the author’s writing skill and ability to draw in a reader.

A Faithful Son has a wonderful depth of characterisation and reveals Zach's sensuality in an understated way that subtly transfers to the reader. I rate it 4 out of 4 stars and I would strongly recommend this book to lovers of literature that exposes the roots of recognisable lives without unnecessary flash.

A Faithful Son
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Kinnera's review? Post a comment saying so!
Latest Review: "A Faithful Son" by Michael Scott Garvin
Ihejohn
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Ihejohn »

Interesting book to read
Kat Berg
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 5">Raven's Peak</a>
Currently Reading: James Baldwin
Bookshelf Size: 223
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kat-berg.html
Latest Review: Why Am I Here by Melvin Bell
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Kat Berg »

This sounds like a wonderful book. Some books are meant to be gobbled up, others are meant to be slowly consumed. This sounds like the latter.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Sounds quite interesting. I'm not sure this one is for me, but I'm glad that you were able to enjoy it so much! Thanks for the review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Mercelle
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 10262">The Wisdom and Peace of the Teachings of the Tao Te Ching</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercelle.html
Latest Review: The Future of Finance and Money by K. Braeden Anderson

Post by Mercelle »

What a moving story. Sounds like Zach had a difficult life. His position is one which a lot of people can relate to.
"The minimum requirement for a dream is a safe place to lay your head."
~OluTimehin Adegbeye
kwahu
Favorite Author: Kathleen Geiger
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kwahu.html
Latest Review: The Ripples Spread by Fay Spurgin
fav_author_id: 73488

Post by kwahu »

Sounds quite fascinating. I feel for Zack as he tries to run to a God he questions. I would love to read the book and get to know where he ends.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”