Official Review: The Canterbury Hall Tales by Bert Johnston

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Official Review: The Canterbury Hall Tales by Bert Johnston

Post by bookowlie »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Canterbury Hall Tales" by Bert Johnston.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Canterbury Hall Tales by Bert Johnston is a collection of fifteen short stories written in traditional verse. It was inspired by William Chaucer’s classic, The Canterbury Tales. The book can be categorized in General Fiction. Although the stories are set in present day, they are written in the style of the fourteenth century. At Canterbury Hall, a group of elderly residents sit around a table on Sunday evenings and tell each other one tale per week. These gatherings are known as “Sunday Night Table.” In the process of telling these tales, the storytellers often reveal information about themselves.

I thoroughly enjoyed this creatively written book. When I read the Amazon summary, I wondered if the language in the tales would be difficult to understand. Fortunately, the author does a wonderful job of crafting contemporary, easy to understand stories while keeping the flavor of the language from the 14th century. The overall effect is a group of engrossing, character-driven tales that are a unique blend of Old English style and present-day characters and situations.

Each story centers on a character (or characters) in a specific situation. “The Accountant’s Tale” is about a man who attends his class reunion, intent on revenge. In “The Parson’s Wife: Siblings,” three brothers and a sister take various paths in life, including Alan whose dreams are put on hold due to family circumstances. One of the elderly storytellers, “The Peddler,” used to be a successful travelling salesman before retiring and chasing the ladies at Canterbury Hall. Although the other residents revile him, Pete still appears at “Sunday Night Table” to spin a yarn about a drunken college man’s experience. Although all of the tales are absorbing, my favorite is “The Accountant’s Wife’s Tale: The Cosmetic Queen.” Maxine and her husband Mort are very relatable and the plot contains a few interesting twists.

The characters are vividly described and I felt like I was right there in the middle of the action. I found this an amazing accomplishment by the author, considering he also adhered to a consistent rhyme structure and 14th century writing style. While the tales appear effortlessly told, I am absolutely sure there was painstaking work involved to achieve this result. There are two typos in the latter part of the book; these errors are surprising since the rest of the book appears to be professionally edited.

I give this book the highest rating, 4 out of 4 stars. The tales are something to savor while curling up on the sofa with a hot cup of tea. I would recommend this collection to readers who love Chaucer, character-driven stories, and really anyone who appreciates excellent writing.

The Canterbury Hall Tales
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like bookowlie's review? Post a comment saying so!
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

Sounds like a great collection of tales. It is great the author managed to write easy to understand stories while keeping the flavor of the old language. Thank you for the great review!
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

Thanks Gali! I chose the book because the concept sounds interesting and it was even better than i expected. :)
MsTri
Favorite Author: Miranda Ann Markley
Favorite Book: The Spirit Seeds Book 1
Currently Reading: the Secret of Safe Passage
Bookshelf Size: 1033
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mstri.html
Latest Review: Suddenly Free, Vol. 1 by Yvette Carmon Davis
Reading Device: B07HZHJGY7
fav_author_id: 225682

Post by MsTri »

Thanks for the splendid review! Sounds like an interesting read and I'm glad the 14th century writing style wasn't a hindrance. I'll have to check it out.
bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

Thanks MsTri! It was such a nice mix of old style and contemporary themes.
Quinto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 704
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-quinto.html
Latest Review: The Longfellah's Son: An Almost True Irish Story by Michael Cassidy

Post by Quinto »

Great review. The tales appear very engrossing and told among friends. I would like to explore the book, so i'll put it in my to read list.
Kat Berg
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 5">Raven's Peak</a>
Currently Reading: James Baldwin
Bookshelf Size: 223
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kat-berg.html
Latest Review: Why Am I Here by Melvin Bell
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Kat Berg »

This book sounds good. I am not always a fan of short stories, but when they are done well, they can be amazing. Great review!
kislany
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 527
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kislany.html
Latest Review: Golden Skies by Juan Zapata

Post by kislany »

I generally don't like poems (weird, I know) and I'd be really afraid to pick up a book that is written in the style of the fourteenth century. You've been way braver than I'd be :) Great review, it was fun to read!
Gingerbo0ks
Currently Reading: All the Crooked Saints
Bookshelf Size: 168
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gingerbo0ks.html
Latest Review: "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon

Post by Gingerbo0ks »

I enjoyed Chaucer at school, so I've enjoyed looking at your review. It sounds like the author has pulled off the language really well... it's not easy!
"One must always be careful of books, and what is inside them, for words have the power to change us.”
― Cassandra Clare, Clockwork Angel
Latest Review: "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon
kandscreeley
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I also enjoyed the Canterbury tales in school. This sounds like it is a great nod to Chaucer. I'll have to look into this. It seems fun.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Kalin Adi
Currently Reading: Island Games
Bookshelf Size: 141
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kalin-adi.html
Latest Review: French for Girls by JP Wright

Post by Kalin Adi »

I'm going to prepare my lemon grass tea before reading this collection of tales. They sound worth reading because of the mix of old language and the setting in present day. Thanks for the great review!
MrsCatInTheHat
Favorite Book: Cry the Beloved Country
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrscatinthehat.html
Latest Review: Marc Marci by Larry G. Goldsmith
Publishing Contest Votes: 0

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

I enjoyed the original Chaucer tales, and have actually run a lit group for high schoolers based on them. This sounds like a book that is right up my alley!
Life without a good book is something MrsCatInTheHat cannot imagine.
Miss ejay
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miss-ejay.html
Latest Review: "Guardian of Deceit" by William H. Coles

Post by Miss ejay »

Great review. Sounds like and interesting collection of tales and worth reading.
Latest Review: "Guardian of Deceit" by William H. Coles
Mercelle
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 10262">The Wisdom and Peace of the Teachings of the Tao Te Ching</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercelle.html
Latest Review: The Future of Finance and Money by K. Braeden Anderson

Post by Mercelle »

A collection of tales from different people; sounds interesting. I like stories that are well written and easy to follow but since I think I would have trouble reading the 14th century writing style, I'll pass on this.
"The minimum requirement for a dream is a safe place to lay your head."
~OluTimehin Adegbeye
Steph K
Currently Reading: The Hobbit
Bookshelf Size: 137
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-steph-k.html
Latest Review: Ever After by H M Irwing

Post by Steph K »

I'll have to check this out. I'm glad you said the fourteenth century language wasn't too incomprehensible, otherwise I probably wouldn't be brave enough to try it!

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”