Official Review: The Piketty Problem by Garth Hallberg

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Re: Official Review: The Piketty Problem by Garth Hallberg

Post by Manang Muyang »

Capitalism, politics, and Trump don't excite me, but your review does. From the sample, I could see the author's clever manipulation of language, characters, and plot to get his serious message across. I wonder if this book was written before Trump won. Would Donald's victory have changed anything?

P.S. McDonald's is the best personification of America. Clever!
Izesicle
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 140
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-izesicle.html
Latest Review: With Malice Aforethought by Thonie Hevron
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Izesicle »

I really liked the cover, the alternative title and the sample. Thank you for explaining who Picketty is. I'm excited to read the rest based on your review.
Spirit Wandering
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... bastian</a>
Currently Reading: Apollo's Raven
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spirit-wandering.html
Latest Review: JOURNEY - Becoming the Dream Walker by T.N. Bui

Post by Spirit Wandering »

I too had not heard of Piketty so look forward to the opportunity to learn more about his economic theories. Thanks to the reviewer and also to the author for the book.
Interested in books that help one's spirit move beyond the ordinary.
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

It is very fascinating that such a stuck up study kind of subject as politics is presented in a humorous manner but this isn't my cup of tea. Your review is very facilitating though, thank you!
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
SeeHopeRead
Currently Reading: The Piketty Problem
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-seehoperead.html
Latest Review: From Drift to SHIFT by Jody B. Miller

Post by SeeHopeRead »

When I saw the cover, I immediately thought, "A book about politics and McDonalds? And what do robots have to do with those? This should be interesting." :lol2: After reading the first chapter and your review, it's all come together. As a personal rule, I don't talk about politics unless the situation involves something I can't possibly keep quiet about. It was as interesting to see (well, in my imagination anyway,) people with such different views share a dinner table-- but to share your life with someone who has such different values? How'd that happen?

I'm looking forward to the conversation where Susanne doesn't bite her tongue! I also can't wait to find out what will happen with the robot employees you mentioned! I have to agree the author's wit and writing style makes for an entertaining read. I'll have to add this title to my shelf.
R-g-R
Currently Reading: The Picketty Problem
Bookshelf Size: 153
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-r-g-r.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman

Post by R-g-R »

An excellent review and, from the sound of it, an excellent book. You have successfully described exactly the impression I have from reading the sample, and am very much looking forward to the development of the plot, characters and ideas explored in The Picketty Problem.
The introductory dinner conversation is so layered already, by different opinions, nationalities, personalities and ways of expressing opinions, that it suggests a delicious entree to a book of delightful further courses. Why shouldn’t workers receive a living wage, ensuring the cost of living is affordable? Why should CEOs receive hundreds of times more than their average worker’s wages? These are important issues that must be explored. How fabulous that this can be done in such a clever and enjoyable manner!
N_R
Favorite Author: James Mace
Currently Reading: Happy Healing
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-n-r.html
Latest Review: Kiwi Jacks by Hairy Jack
fav_author_id: 21042

Post by N_R »

This sounds like a great novel actually to read on quite a dry subject matter. Thanks for this great review and being really honest about subjects which are not to your liking, however, the book presented these in a way to be informative to you.
NL Hartje
Favorite Book: Kushiel's Dart
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 385
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nl-hartje.html
Latest Review: Looking forward as the Journey continues by George Mills

Post by NL Hartje »

Wow, what a glowing commendation! I wonder if you enjoyed this type of economic fiction prior to reading this book or if this was your first. I personally don't gravitate toward this sector so I'm waffling over whether or not it's for me.
“So the writer who breeds more words than he needs, is making a chore for the reader who reads.”
-Dr. Seuss
Scerakor
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 315
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scerakor.html
Latest Review: Gaslighting & Narcissistic Abuse Recovery: by Don Barlow

Post by Scerakor »

What a great way to take a complex and academic topic, bring it to the layman, and even make it funny. I love books can teach you a little bit of something while entertaining at the same time. It sounds like this book even has the added bonus of creative and witty wordplay.
Haute_Coffee
Currently Reading: Pimp
Bookshelf Size: 368
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-haute-coffee.html
Latest Review: A Stone of Hope by Janet S. Kleinman

Post by Haute_Coffee »

Interesting. Sounds like it is both educational and entertaining. Thanks for the review.
Linnea Tanner
Favorite Book: Apollo's Raven
Currently Reading: Shadow of the Raven (Book I of Sons of Kings trilogy)
Bookshelf Size: 354

Post by Linnea Tanner »

Thank you for the review of Garth Hallberg's The Piketty Problem. It sounds like a book that has been intelligently written in a light tone to discuss a serious social economic issue where wealth rests with 1% of the rich. It sounds like the author has been able to incorporate economic principles into the narrative, using humor to help the reader grasp the important theme.
tarafarah7
Favorite Author: Mitch Albom
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... ">tuesdays with Morrie</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1437
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tarafarah7.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 2544

Post by tarafarah7 »

Your review was excellent...thank you! A master of character development, this author really knows how to engage readers! Today's BOTD sounds like one that will have you glued to the pages, dying to find out what comes next. I downloaded my free copy, and I'm looking forward to reading it! Thank you!
Reb63OBC
Currently Reading: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reb63obc.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by Reb63OBC »

The Piketty Problem: or The Robots Are Coming, The Robots Are Coming
by Garth Hallberg

Humm.... a hotly contested 2016 presidential election? Robots taking over jobs at McDonalds?
Political progressive, Suzanne Dealy with a flair of the dramatic recovering her libido? What
is it all about? I guess I will have to read on
Surabhi Rani
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Demonslayer
Bookshelf Size: 1902
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-surabhi-rani.html
Latest Review: How To Decorate Cookies With Your Kids in an Afternoon by Micah Rhodes

Post by Surabhi Rani »

'Official Review: The Piketty Problem, by Garth Hallberg', is a nice introduction to the book and acquaints the reader very well with the book! It is a complete one and fulfills the purpose of a review!
FayJac
Currently Reading: Begin Again
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fayjac.html
Latest Review: Ironbark Hill by Jennie Linnane

Post by FayJac »

This sounds like a well-written book with interesting characters and story line. I appreciate you saying that it is for mature audiences with sexual themes. After reading your review, however, I don't think I would enjoy this book.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”