Review by Marquis05 -- Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Marquis05
Currently Reading: From drift to shift
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marquis05.html
Latest Review: "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon

Review by Marquis05 -- Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon

Post by Marquis05 » 23 Oct 2017, 19:18

[Following is a volunteer review of "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Charlie Sheldon’s Strong Heart is his first book in his Spear thrower series and soon to be followed by Adrift. Strong Heart is set in the Pacific Northwest.

Charlie Sheldon spins a fascinating tale in which an old native American Tom and his two friends William and Myra , William’s daughter, are about to take a long and adventurous trip pass the Olympic national park so that Tom can properly bury his more than forty-five years already dead grandfather ,Bob-bob. Series of unfortunate events make for the arrival of Tom’s new granddaughter, 13 year old Sarah, at his door. Sheldon sets the wheel rolling with an ever increasing dexterity. As Sarah’s disappearance, her unbelievable captivating story ,her dart throwing skills ,the sceneries of the Olympic peninsula ,town politics and many more keep the audience locked in and make for a really balanced tale of science ,history ,native legends ,mysticism and even a bit of romance.

Sheldon begins with not much background information on the characters. But this does not present a disadvantage in any way as it enriches the story because the characters react (go on) unexpectedly as does the story too. Sheldon’s portrayal of Sarah’s character is magnificent and I really applaud him. He does not lose an effort to portray his themes and he does this with a lovely class. Sarah’s story too (when she ran away) is a true beauty, aiding better comprehension of the total story and a more thrilling suspense in the book.

The book is written mostly in third person objective view except Sarah’s story (which is in first person objective). I applaud Sheldon’s ability to paint vivid pictures with a lovely choice of words as this hems the garment of every intriguing tale. He avoids ambiguous expressions and this makes it easy for all levels of readers to comprehend. Also his research work is awesome. I like not just the way he presents his facts but that they are all exact. The work is thoroughly edited with hallmarks of no errors and no hindrances to comprehension. The way Sheldon ends the book is also lovely although it might seem so abrupt but I believe it’s because Strong heart is the first of the series and what a lovely way to leave his audience waiting for the other editions of the spear thrower series

I rate the book 4 out of 4 stars as in addition to the author’s uniqueness ,I saw adequate proof reading ,well researched facts and a very intriguing tale filled with suspense even at the last page and words of the book.

Strong Heart
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Marquis05's review? Post a comment saying so!
Latest Review: "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon

Espie
2018 Reading Goal: 12
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 116
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 72
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-espie.html
Latest Review: Pastoring is not what you think by Elijah Oladimeji

Post by Espie » 29 May 2018, 21:13

Thank you for your review. I also read, reviewed and loved the book. I also liked Sarah's character although not initially because of her annoying defiant attitudes but that eventually changed as I came to discover what an amazing soul she really is for bravely overcoming her past and all the other challenges she gets through. I also admired the author's flair in combining well-researched details and theories with fanciful folklore and traditions.
"Life has many different chapters for us. One bad chapter doesn't mean it's the end of the book."-Unknown
"To err is human; to forgive, divine."-Alexander Pope
"Put GOD first; He'll bless your efforts with success."-Proverbs

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”