Official Review: Sister Carrie by William

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
While in the forum's younger and less active days this used to be the one and only forum for "reviews and discussions about specific books", this is now just the subforum "other fiction" in a more well-organized "reviews and discussions about specific books" section with subforums for each genre. Check it out! :) Remember, the forums in the reviews section (including this forum) are for posting about a single book or series in topic, and the topic title should include the book's title. If you are creating a new topic, please try to post it in one of the other genres rather than posting it here in the "other fiction" section. This is only for books that do not fit in any of the other genre categories we have listed.
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
2017 Reading Goal: 52
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 50
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 313
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: The Scary Snow Day by Kyle Derby Pratt

Re: Official Review: Sister Carrie by William

Post by bookowlie » 15 Jan 2018, 09:55

CommMayo wrote:
12 Jan 2018, 15:24
Thank you for the interesting review. It almost sounds like you were generous with the 3 out of 4 review...I often wish it was out of 5 or 10 stars!
Thanks for the kind words. I struggled with the rating with this book and decided to be generous due to being moved by the main character. You have a good point about wanting more stars to pick from! There is no "middle ground" with a 4-star system.
"I am not afraid of storms, for I am learning how to sail my ship" - Louisa May Alcott

bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
2017 Reading Goal: 52
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 50
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 313
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: The Scary Snow Day by Kyle Derby Pratt

Post by bookowlie » 15 Jan 2018, 10:00

kandscreeley wrote:
14 Jan 2018, 10:38
Your review was quite thorough. It sounds like a nice short story that couldbe developed into something a bit longer and more detailed. Still, I'm intrigued by what happens to the two sisters after the abrupt marriage. Thanks!
Thanks Kandscreeley! The book was more of a novella (approx. 120 pages) than a short story, but I definitely would have liked it to be expanded. There are long time jumps and I would have liked more info about the married couple's life.
"I am not afraid of storms, for I am learning how to sail my ship" - Louisa May Alcott

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”