Forum Navigation: Forum Index » Books and Reading » Reviews and Discussions about Specific Books and Series » Other Fiction Forum

Want FREE books and FREE Amazon gift cards?

Each day we announce via email a book that is either FREE or on a temporary sale at a great discount price. These are not your average free books. These are incredible insider deals on well-rated books. OnlineBookClub.org is where tomorrow's bestsellers are born. We also give away over $1,000 per month of free Amazon gift cards in free daily giveaways, exclusively to those signed up to these announcements! Hurry, sign up free now:

Sorry, this proves you are human.

Official Review: 'Rosie, Bara, Gerry & Tom'

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.

Official Review: 'Rosie, Bara, Gerry & Tom'

Post Number:#1 by MarisaRose
» 10 Oct 2017, 08:07

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "'Rosie, Bara, Gerry & Tom'" by Peter Wood Cotterill.]

Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Review by MarisaRose
Share This Review

Rosie, Bara, Gerry & Tom: a novel by Peter Wood Cotterill is a fictional account of four first person narratives. The four main characters, Rosie, Bara, Gerry and Tom, are all connected in one way or another. Bara and Gerry were married at one time; Tom and Gerry were good friends in the past, and Rosie and Tom are lovers. However, things become a bit twisted when, one day, Gerry goes looking for Tom and runs into Rosie instead. Gerry and Rosie start up a relationship; meanwhile, a chance encounter finds Tom and Bara reconnecting. Set in England and parts of Africa, this book follows the foursome over multiple decades as they grow and their relationships change.

This book is really about people: how they face relationships, how they grow over time, and how people change but also remain the same. The most successful aspect of this book is the unique voice the author gives to each of the four main characters. Rosie, Bara, Gerry and Tom all have chapters told through their first person narration. Without reading the title of the chapter (which would start with the name of the character at the focus of the chapter), it was easy to tell who was narrating. Each of the four characters speak differently and have unique thoughts that are clearly attributed to their individual personalities. The author masterfully brought to life four unique, understandable personas, making their stories that much more interesting.

Although the author succeeded in many aspects, there were a few drawbacks to this story. First of all, when we are first introduced to Rosie, her chapters are very difficult to interpret. She is a non-native speaker and has a very thick accent, as well as a poor handle on the English language. Despite this being an accurate representation of her character, the writing style for her narration was very difficult to decipher and significantly hindered the flow of the story. However, as the story progresses and Rosie’s understanding of English improves, this is reflected in her narration, and her portions become much easier to get through.

Additionally, there were a few points in the story where the pacing dragged and it became difficult to connect with or care about the characters. Generally, I enjoyed reading about Rosie’s growth and Tom’s struggles, but I had difficulty liking Gerry or caring about Bara. This book is relatively short, and it didn’t feel like there was enough time to develop all four of the characters so the reader could feel a stake in their outcomes, leading to a lack of interest in the overall ending of the story.

Rosie, Bara, Gerry & Tom is a difficult book to rate. I enjoyed the author’s writing style and the unique voice he gave to each of the four main characters. However, the general story was sometimes lacking and the pacing felt off at times, preventing me from giving it the highest rating. Therefore, I decided to rate the book 3 out of 4 stars. Readers who enjoy books about different perspectives and those interested in international stories will enjoy this author’s style.

'Rosie, Bara, Gerry & Tom'
View: on Bookshelves

Like MarisaRose's review? Post a comment saying so!
"No two persons ever read the same book." -Edmund Wilson
MarisaRose

Favorite Book: Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
Currently Reading: Little Fires Everywhere
Bookshelf Size: 185 books

View Reviewer Page
Reading Device: Kindle Paperwhite
2017 Reading Goal: 25 Books
Goal Completion: 352%

Did you know?

Once you join the forums and log in you will get to enjoy a very ad-reduced experience. It's easy and completely free!

Re: Official Review: 'Rosie, Bara, Gerry & Tom'

Post Number:#2 by kandscreeley
» 10 Oct 2017, 15:09

I love that the author was so successful at giving each of the characters their own voice. The pacing would definitely bother me, though. I'm not sure I'd get through the book. I'll have to think about it. Thanks!
“There is no friend as loyal as a book.”
― Ernest Hemingway
kandscreeley's Latest Review: "The Crying Tree Diary" by Lorah Green
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader

Currently Reading: Strong Heart
Bookshelf Size: 106 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 100 Books
Goal Completion: 87%

Post Number:#3 by MarisaRose
» 10 Oct 2017, 15:18

kandscreeley wrote:I love that the author was so successful at giving each of the characters their own voice. The pacing would definitely bother me, though. I'm not sure I'd get through the book. I'll have to think about it. Thanks!

Yes - the author created vivid characters in this book. Thanks for commenting!
"No two persons ever read the same book." -Edmund Wilson
MarisaRose

Favorite Book: Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
Currently Reading: Little Fires Everywhere
Bookshelf Size: 185 books

View Reviewer Page
Reading Device: Kindle Paperwhite
2017 Reading Goal: 25 Books
Goal Completion: 352%

Post Number:#4 by KeriCraven
» 10 Oct 2017, 16:22

From your review the story sounds both interesting and maybe a little difficult. I would be bothered by the pace. There are some stories where the slow pace full of information is welcoming. Then there are stories where they are fast paced but lacking information. Thank you for your review.
KeriCraven's Latest Review: "Life Before" by K.L. Romo
KeriCraven

Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 100 Books
Goal Completion: 13%

Post Number:#5 by davidemkt
» 11 Oct 2017, 01:27

The Author has Touch my previous relationship i was Gerry there was this girls loved me much but i didn't care at all, but there was a reason for it, and because this book has reminds my past will going to rate it "5". am happy that we sometimes learn through books and recover from our bad behavior that was bad aspect in our life, to me the author has succeed in reflect community based stories that always happen even though the Book is Fictional but i enjoy it according to the review made by online book store and i want to read it
davidemkt

Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0 books
2017 Reading Goal: 0 Books
Goal Completion: 0%

Post Number:#6 by meteku4
» 11 Oct 2017, 01:40

I love exploring human relationships and how interconnected we are. Your review sounds great and interesting, but I guess the story is a bit difficult.
meteku4's Latest Review: "Keys to Tetouan" by Mois Benarroch
meteku4

Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39 books

View Reviewer Page

Post Number:#7 by kislany
» 12 Oct 2017, 02:17

Pity that the book dragged a bit at times. I enjoyed your review and thanks for being honest about the book. Not quite sure if it's for me, tbh.
kislany

Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41 books

View Reviewer Page

Post Number:#8 by Athena Moon
» 12 Oct 2017, 05:14

I honestly got confused with the introduction of characters. I always do that when it comes to several main characters in the book, but I genuinely got interested in the questions about the relationship raised in the story. I am looking forward to learning it from the book! Thanks for the review!
Athena Moon's Latest Review: "Holy Here Wholy You" by Kim Lincoln
Athena Moon

Favorite Author: Paulo Coelho
Favorite Book: The Lovely Bones
Currently Reading: Holy Here Wholly You
Bookshelf Size: 42 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 30 Books
Goal Completion: 30%

Post Number:#9 by kjuliah
» 12 Oct 2017, 10:03

The book indeed has a very high impact to my heart. Every lines has a “uhg” feeling. I love it. I might read it again.
kjuliah

Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2 books

Post Number:#10 by Smrity
» 13 Oct 2017, 00:11

Pity that the book dragged a bit at times. I enjoyed your review and thanks for being honest about the book. Not quite sure if it's for me, tbh.
Smrity

Currently Reading: Strong Heart
Bookshelf Size: 2 books

Post Number:#11 by Kat Kennedy
» 13 Oct 2017, 17:24

I enjoyed your review. I wondered about this book from the title. It's kind of like an old movie, Bob and Carol, Ted and Alice. The plot may be similar. It's been a while since I've seen it.
Kat Kennedy

Currently Reading: Call Me Pomeroy
Bookshelf Size: 35 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 20 Books
Goal Completion: 20%

Post Number:#12 by Aimy
» 14 Oct 2017, 02:15

Your review has highlighted the interesting aspects of the book. Developing four different characters in a book which is not very long, could have been challenging for the author.
Aimy

Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15 books

View Reviewer Page

Post Number:#13 by Sarah Immanuel
» 15 Oct 2017, 00:42

Honestly this is a hard story. I was not so amused when I read it. I'd rate it 2 out of 4.
Sarah Immanuel

Favorite Book: My Trip To Adele
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27 books

Post Number:#14 by Ashley Simon
» 15 Oct 2017, 10:29

It's too bad that the story dragged and you had difficulty connecting to the characters. I usually enjoy novels like this - I'm a sucker for first person narration. Thanks for the review, MarisaRose!
Ashley Simon's Latest Review: "A Book Without Dragons" by Olivia Berrier
Ashley Simon

Currently Reading: Zero K
Bookshelf Size: 132 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 20 Books
Goal Completion: 50%