Official Review: The Spirit of Want by William H. Coles

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
MarisaRose
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 665">Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban</a>
Currently Reading: The Family Upstairs
Bookshelf Size: 435
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marisarose.html
Latest Review: The Magic Shard by eelonqa K harris
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Re: Official Review: The Spirit of Want by William H. Coles

Post by MarisaRose »

CatInTheHat wrote:
MarisaRose wrote:I read this book, too, and I have to say I'm shocked by your rating! I found so many issues with the plot and pacing, I was simply frustrated by the end and couldn't wait to be done with it. I failed to see the connection between quite a few plot lines, and I also felt the characterization was incredibly lacking, things just happened at random. Glad you liked it though.

I think that this is why it is good that more than one reviewer reads a book and reviews it. We often see different things in a story. I have enjoyed your reviews in the past, so I'll have to go back and see if I can find yours, just to see your thoughts on it :)
Agreed! Which is why I love the quote I use as my tag: “No two persons ever read the same book.” I always enjoy your reviews as well! It’s great to read your opinions :)
SpiderDreamer1
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by SpiderDreamer1 »

This does sound fairly interesting. You mention that the legal case has to deal with a televangelist; how are they portrayed? I happen to have a very low opinion of such people, but I like the idea a lot of a legal scandal story involving one.
geoffrey ngoima
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-geoffrey-ngoima.html
Latest Review: "The Little Girl Inside Owning My Role in My Own Pain" by Tonya Barbee
Reading Device: B00UB76290

Post by geoffrey ngoima »

I like the psychological aspect of the book and that the author did his homework well, great review.
Latest Review: "The Little Girl Inside Owning My Role in My Own Pain" by Tonya Barbee
Abodunrin
Currently Reading: Temptation Trials Part II
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abodunrin.html
Latest Review: "From Drift to SHIFT" by Jody B. Miller

Post by Abodunrin »

The fact that you were able to draw out deep informations like the writer writing out of a thorough study on the subject matter and not just creating non realistic scenerios shows you really studied it and it is worth commending. Well-done!

-- 10 Oct 2017, 14:56 --

"The more you read the easier it gets and the more efficiently you can extract relevant data and depth of information from the printed page" :- Ben carson
Latest Review: "From Drift to SHIFT" by Jody B. Miller
MrsCatInTheHat
Favorite Book: Cry the Beloved Country
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrscatinthehat.html
Latest Review: Marc Marci by Larry G. Goldsmith
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 0

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

SpiderDreamer1 wrote:This does sound fairly interesting. You mention that the legal case has to deal with a televangelist; how are they portrayed? I happen to have a very low opinion of such people, but I like the idea a lot of a legal scandal story involving one.
The case with the televangelist was only one aspect of legal situations in the story. It would be a major spoiler to explain how this particular televangelist is viewed.
Life without a good book is something MrsCatInTheHat cannot imagine.
BoyLazy
Currently Reading: Temptation Trials Part II
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-boylazy.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 2 by H.M. Irwing

Post by BoyLazy »

Want to read this book after seeing this review. Thanks :)
Boy Lazy
Reviewer | Blogger | Influencer

RegularGuy3
Currently Reading: All the Light We Cannot See
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-regularguy3.html
Latest Review: Farmer Beau's Farm by Kathleen Geiger

Post by RegularGuy3 »

Sounds great. I love a story with a faulty narrator--it makes for an added layer of entrrtainment. Congrats on BOTD!
mindyg123
Currently Reading: Lycan Fallout
Bookshelf Size: 565
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mindyg123.html

Post by mindyg123 »

Good review. This sounds like a good read and something I would enjoy. A lawyer falling for her client and following him leaving her family behind sounds interesting. Is the client innocent or guilty as charged? I don't know but hopefully I will once I read this drama mystery. Congrats on being BOTD and for making it free.
Mindyg123 :techie-studyingbrown:
Strangerthanfiction
Currently Reading: Night Seeker
Bookshelf Size: 304
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-strangerthanfiction.html

Post by Strangerthanfiction »

Great review! This book sounds quite intriguing. I enjoy a good mystery especially ones that involve medical or legal communities and thus has both. Add in the complications of big religion and I expect a very complex read.
“You know you’ve read a good book when you turn the last page and feel a little as if you have lost a friend.” – Paul Sweeney
ReviewerDiksha
Currently Reading: The Katharina Code
Bookshelf Size: 151
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reviewerdiksha.html
Latest Review: A Brighter Tomorrow by Lori Schneider, MD

Post by ReviewerDiksha »

I read another William Cole book that was the Book of the Day, a day or two ago. If this one is anything like that, I would love to read it. Your review was very insightful and I look forward to reading the book, now. Thank you for the glowing review.
salpag
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... Programmed To Kill</a>
Currently Reading: McDowell
Bookshelf Size: 28

Post by salpag »

Congrats to the author and on BOTD!Definitely the story is intriguing as well fascinating.And I agree this also happens in real life.Big smile for a wonderful story!
Athena Moon
Favorite Author: Paulo Coelho
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =3217">The Lovely Bones</a>
Currently Reading: The Piketty Problem
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-athena-moon.html
Latest Review: And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White
fav_author_id: 2451

Post by Athena Moon »

The background of the story sounds truly vivid and diverse. It must have taken quite an effort to study those fields and embed them so realistically with the characters. Thanks for the review!
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

A tale that melds several arenas and explores multiple emotions? Sounds like a good read for fans of the genre. The story follows one woman's struggles who discovers the complexity of religion and love. That the author shows the legal legal process in a realistic manner is certainly a plus. Not really my cup of tea, but I am glad you enjoyed it. Thank you for the review!
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Gswag
Currently Reading: Les Miserables
Bookshelf Size: 50

Post by Gswag »

I will say there is barrier with connection of some characters, however the book pose to carry a very powerful storyline , showing the ills in open carriers that only the professionals go through; the mystery in workplace and digging up the wrong of religious leaders. I like the book thou ,there is always room for improvement, thanks.
Doaa Wael
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-doaa-wael.html
Latest Review: "My Trip To Adele" by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer

Post by Doaa Wael »

This book seems 3 dimensional as it is dealing with multiple themes. It sounds like an interesting read. From the comments above, I deduced that this writer is a brilliant one, looking forward to it.
Imagination Trumps Reality.
Latest Review: "My Trip To Adele" by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”