Official Review: The Spirit of Want by William H. Coles

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Faith Mhizha
Currently Reading: Love's Healing Power
Bookshelf Size: 24

Re: Official Review: The Spirit of Want by William H. Coles

Post by Faith Mhizha »

Sounds like a good book to add to my shelf. I like that it explores the many human relationships in detail. Congratulations for being BOTD.
BookDragon100
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookdragon100.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner

Post by BookDragon100 »

This book seems like it has something in it for everybody. The warning that distressing things happen to children is helpful to me. I might need to do a little research in order to make sure this is something I can handle. Thank you!
Sunnyroyish
Currently Reading: Journey of a Bedroom Poet
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sunnyroyish.html
Latest Review: Mythic Worlds and the One You Can Believe In by Harold Toliver

Post by Sunnyroyish »

I do not usually read drama as it bores me. However, the story of Luke has some mystery to offer. I will pass this one but I congratulate the author on BOTD.
Life is just a parenthesis in the vastness of infinity.
Shas F
Currently Reading: Monsters in the Hallway
Bookshelf Size: 255
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shas-f.html
Latest Review: The Engine Woman's Light by Laurel Anne Hill

Post by Shas F »

I've read the opening chapters of The Spirit of Want by William H. Coles and I'm going to read it through because of Lucy, a lawyer who seems to be a ticking time bomb. We see her driving drunk in the first chapter and of course, Lucy and surgeon Dr. Luke Osbourne end up in an accident. Her conversations with Osbourne and her sister make her appear to be a troubled character on the brink of something - emotional collapse, nervous breakdown? The review by CatinTheHat and the synopsis in Amazon show that the book is juggling many balls -- Lucy's connection to a preacher mired in controversy, the pressures of her legal practice, Luke's problems in his own medical practice and the pressures on their marriage. How these will merge into one compelling narrative flow is something to read. But what draws me to the book is Lucy herself: snarky, angry and ready to explode. Will she be a train wreck waiting to happen or will she stay on track?
bootsie0126+
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 285
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bootsie0126.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings
Reading Device: B01GEW27DA

Post by bootsie0126+ »

Thanks for the detailed review. I think this book will be an interesting read. Mystery, suspense, and romance are always good elements for a good thriller. I am curious to see how the blend of religion, medical, and the legal aspect come together in this book. Your synopsis of Luke and Lucy's marriage was interesting and I would like to see how their lives turn out.
Jgideon
Favorite Book: Gates to Tangier
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 253
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jgideon.html
Latest Review: Sundays with Sister ssj by Anthony Happy LaRiccia

Post by Jgideon »

I like how the author brings out the complexity of many different relationships. It sounds like a good read. I will add it to my to-read list.
kwame1977
Currently Reading: The Vatican Protocol
Bookshelf Size: 150
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kwame1977.html
Latest Review: Learn to Play Guitar by Gareth Evans

Post by kwame1977 »

I must commend William Coles for writing lots of books. This is the second time I'm reading his book. Today's story is very interesting. I hope to read this book so I will know the fate of Luke.
comfort idowu
Currently Reading: When Pigs Fly
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by comfort idowu »

:tiphat: The book titled the spirit of want ,is a good book that everyone needs to read it dwell on issues and the challenge of life.The lead actor a lawyer married to someone from medical field,daughter of a medical practioner that eventually fell in love with an evangelist that was her client what an irony of life.she would have been satisfied with what she had. A happy home,good job, good family background,but the theory of Human wants are in satiable took over her.Life is just all about choices.
asaltares
Currently Reading: Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016
Bookshelf Size: 232

Post by asaltares »

The theme that atracted my interest on this book is, as the review said, "business of religion". Would like to know what happens to the televangelist case in this story as the whole family situations when works consumes the time family deserves.
TGreg02
Currently Reading: A Horse Called Hero
Bookshelf Size: 67

Post by TGreg02 »

Thanks for the great review. This book sounds like something I will enjoy reading (adding to my bookshelf to remind me).
Trusinlit
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Trusinlit »

I am intrigued by the family drama in the book, and the way the story deals with human relationships feels very realistic.
Shrabastee Chakraborty
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Warramunga's War
Currently Reading: Timewise
Bookshelf Size: 1154
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shrabastee-chakraborty.html
Latest Review: The Infinite Passion of Life by D.J. Paolini

Post by Shrabastee Chakraborty »

Thanks for the awesome review! Sounds like yet another masterpiece by Coles. love his thoughts that shows various shades of a relationship and what might or might not affect it. I am glad that he had done adequate research on three drastically different fields, because without proper homework, often the otherwise good story becomes unrealistic. Good that that is not the case here.
Cristina Chifane
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Magic Mountain
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 898
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cristina-chifane.html
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Cristina Chifane »

I apreciate the blending of the medical, legal and religious fields and I find the topic interesting, but I couldn't resonate with the sample. I simply couldn't relate to the characters. Neither Luke norLucy seemed natural to me in their expression of their emotions or feelings. Thanks for a great review, though.
"The madness of writing is the antidote to true madness." (Hanif Kureishi)
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee
Trusinlit
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Trusinlit »

:) :) It seems that Coles is very good at exploring strained relationships and the effects that one decision can have on a person's entire life. I am intrigued to learn about what happens to the main character, but am also curious about what will happen to the disgraced televangelist and if he really is guilty. Congrats on the #BOTD
Julehart1
Currently Reading: Adrift
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julehart1.html
Latest Review: Killing Time ... Physics, Lust and Greed Series Book 3 by Mike Murphey

Post by Julehart1 »

A book that combines medical, legal, and religious fields sounds intriguing. I like hearing that it's a well researched book and also that it has mystery and suspense. Sounds like a fun book to read. Thanks for your review.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”