Official Review: The Spirit of Want by William H. Coles

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Job Njoroge
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-job-njoroge.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Re: Official Review: The Spirit of Want by William H. Coles

Post by Job Njoroge »

Great review. The book is addressing some big issues that many do not pay attention to like the complexity of marriage and religion.
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

kislany wrote:Great review. I love medical mystery books (Robin Cook really spoiled me there) so this book will go on my TBR pile (which is, sadly, forever growing).
Hey, Kislany, I'm a Dr. Robin Cook fan myself! And my TBR pile is also humongous.

William Coles is also a doctor, a retired surgeon if I recall correctly. (Right, Kandscreely?)

Intriguing review, CatInThe Hat! Two successful career people juggling stressful jobs, making a marriage work, and caring for a child are highly relatable to many of us.
qurratulain
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (Harry Potter Series)
Bookshelf Size: 9

Post by qurratulain »

I'm not a writer , but a reader who enjoy reading books
As a pakistani and a typicall national language speaker
I must say I really like the story because that story engeged me throughout the story
And I could not realise the time I spent with the book
Mindi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 106
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mindi.html
Latest Review: The Promise by Hank Ellis

Post by Mindi »

It sounds like it deals with some interesting issues in a deep way. Good job with the review!
qurratulain
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (Harry Potter Series)
Bookshelf Size: 9

Post by qurratulain »

Indeed
Thank u
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 559
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: GPS para el cielo by Jose Rafael Nunez Patino
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

There seems to be a lot going on here. I wonder if Lucy and Luke's marriage will survive after working on her televangelist case. I like how you mentioned that the author captured the complexities of relationships and that it was clear he did research for this book. Too bad about the minor errors, but I'm glad that you were able to enjoy the read regardless! Thank you for sharing!
Heidi
Official Reviewer Representative

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
ADIM MAURICE
Bookshelf Size: 5

Post by ADIM MAURICE »

Well, coles speaking of marriage, it is something dat is built on extreme good virtues, an ordinary true love begins with true friendship, but an extraordinary true love begins with suffering & humiliation

-- 11 Oct 2017, 10:32 --

Well, coles speaking of marriage, it is something dat is built on extreme good virtues, an ordinary true love begins with true friendship, but an extraordinary true love begins with suffering & humiliation
Donnavila Marie01
Currently Reading: the one
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-donnavila-marie01.html
Latest Review: "America, It Was Just An Idea" by Dr. Rayna M. Gangi

Post by Donnavila Marie01 »

Lucy is an intelligent young lawyer. She was introduced to her dad’s mentee and also an eye surgeon, Luke Osbourne. An accident brought them together and a quick wedding followed. These two individuals threading opposite paths will encounter marriage problems. Their marriage is a puzzle of love or utility.
Latest Review: "America, It Was Just An Idea" by Dr. Rayna M. Gangi
hepto
Currently Reading: Hiramic Brotherhood: Ezekiel's Temple Prophesy
Bookshelf Size: 22

Post by hepto »

The Spirit of Want by William H.Coles a novel follows a surgeon who possesses all the material comforts anyone could want, but harbors a deep lacking in his soul.

When readers first meet Hiram McDowell, he is leaving a hiking partner for dead and trying to make it back down a mountain in Nepal in 1981. It’s hard to judge if McDowell is simply callous and cruel or whether this is an issue of survival. Everything readers learn about him in the next few chapters, though, shows he is a pig who treats women like objects and deceives his third wife, Carole Mastriano.

He’s also power-hungry, cheating a colleague, Michael O’Leary, out of a post on his way to becoming president of the International College of Surgeons. The one soft spot he has is for his three kids: Billie, who gets in trouble with one of Carole’s daughters; Ann, who copes with a turbulent marriage and mean children; and Sophie, who seeks to find her professional footing as a photographer.

The tales start to converge when Paige Sterling, a journalist in her 50s fighting sexism at her network to keep her job, is assigned to cover McDowell’s story. Tragedy befalls the family when Ann’s son Jeremy goes on a killing spree, which leads to McDowell’s ultimate downfall when he is convicted of murdering the culprit in his hospital bed. McDowell escapes from prison and begins an unlikely association with a bookstore owner named Maud and her family.

That gives him a chance at spiritual redemption while Sterling and the police try to hunt him down. Coles has a knack for creating distinct characters. From McDowell to the members of Sterling’s crew in Nepal, they all have their own personalities. No player is wasted as a mere plot device. The author also expertly weaves together varied threads, though there are certain points where the story jumps forward past important action. But Billie revealing his indiscretions and his desire to be an artist; Sophie struggling to find herself after her partner is murdered; Ann navigating her marriage; and Sterling using unexpected opportunities all dovetail well with McDowell’s arc.

This worthy tale delivers an epic feel and strong characters.I rate it 4 out of 4.
Barry1379
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-barry1379.html
Latest Review: "Heaven and Earth" by Arturo Riojas

Post by Barry1379 »

I really like the reviewers option on the subject matter. It will interest any person who have not read the book to pick it up. Sound review
Latest Review: "Heaven and Earth" by Arturo Riojas
raeryn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raeryn.html
Latest Review: The Prize by Geoffrey M Cooper

Post by raeryn »

While this looks like a great story with interesting plot and characters, it doesn't look like my cup of tea. Great review.
mercy wangechi
Currently Reading: Escape
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by mercy wangechi »

wooow, a great review.The story is an emotional drama about a professional lawyer who realizes the overwhelming effects of unwise choices when she fell in love with a Tv-evangelist who is accused of sexually molesting a child and she leaves her family to be with him and eventually she losses her career. Its so sad that sometimes love con make us do strange things.
congratulations to the author
Paul78
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 38572">Who Told You That You Were Naked?</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paul78.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Paul78 »

The review is a great one. Looking forward to get answers on several questions that have come to my mind as I went through the review.
Kalin Adi
Currently Reading: Island Games
Bookshelf Size: 141
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kalin-adi.html
Latest Review: French for Girls by JP Wright

Post by Kalin Adi »

A story that intertwines medicine, law and religion is hard to get, especially if the author wants the characters to remain upright; it seems Coles has succeeded doing it. And based on your review, I can sense Coles has succeeded mastering these deep topics to bring out a delightful story too. Thanks for this interesting review!
Last edited by Kalin Adi on 11 Oct 2017, 11:08, edited 1 time in total.
Nwonye Obini
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 129
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nwonye-obini.html
Latest Review: Who Told You That You Were Naked? by William Combs

Post by Nwonye Obini »

This is what I can call a variety of troubled marriage since we've been reading reviews of marriages that are in plasters.

It is only circumstances that can determine the type of solution to apply.

Let's give Mr Coles a loud cheers.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”