Official Review: The Spirit of Want by William H. Coles

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
MrsCatInTheHat
Favorite Book: Cry the Beloved Country
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrscatinthehat.html
Latest Review: Marc Marci by Larry G. Goldsmith
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 0

Official Review: The Spirit of Want by William H. Coles

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Spirit of Want" by William H. Coles.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Imagine a story where drama in the medical, legal, and religious arenas meld together to tell a tale that will make your head spin. You will wonder what is true, and who is telling the truth, as many tests of humanity unfold in William H. Coles’ The Spirit of Want.

Luke Osbourne is an up and coming eye surgeon in the early years of his career. A.J. MacMiel is his boss, as well as his mentor. Elizabeth and Lucy are A.J.’s adult daughters. A catastrophic event pushes Luke and Lucy together, with a quick wedding to follow. Their daughter, Jennifer, is being mostly raised by the nanny. Elizabeth and her mom, Agnes, are often responsible for Jennifer, much to the frustration of one of them.

Lucy’s law practice keeps her on her toes, with a colossal ongoing case involving a well-known televangelist of national interest. She discovers just how complex the business of religion is, as well as how much people will do to protect their own. How does this case impact the rest of their lives? Can a marriage survive when both parties are drawn in too many different directions?

There is quite a bit of mystery and intrigue in Luke’s workplace as well. So many at the Institute are focused on shielding their careers from the controversies rather than on resolving the issues. Will that make it impossible to know what really happened to some patients? Luke has many decisions to make, as he is a man who is ruled by his strong principles of integrity.

Coles demonstrates the complexity of relationships in many different ways. Marriage is not just built on love, but also on history and need. It is not always easy to guess which marriages will survive and which ones will flourish in The Spirit of Want, as the complexities go far deeper than the surface. True love can be found, but it is not always obvious and is often surprising. Relationships between family members can be strained when the adopted child feels left out, or when one is hiding a huge part of their life from the ones they love. Medical issues among the family members add to the development of both the characters and the various relationships.

It is clear that Coles has done vast research on the three major fields. The legal discussions and proceedings show the legal process at work in a very realistic manner. The descriptions of various types of medical issues and the associated care go well below what is typically seen in a novel. The complexity of big religion is stunning, yet very authentic. It is not just about faith, and sometimes, it is not about faith at all.

Delving into this story was fascinating, but not a surprise as Coles’ work has always been remarkable, in my experience. There really was not anything to not like, and the only minor weaknesses are mentioned below.
There are two minor issues with grammar and formatting. “Jennifer” is spelled “Jenifer” in chapter 16. There are blank pages between some chapters but not between others. Neither of these issues distracts one from the story; therefore, they will not impact the rating.

I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. The story is engaging, well thought out and unique. Readers who enjoy mystery, intrigue and exploring multiple emotions in a story will enjoy The Spirit of Want. Sometimes upsetting things happen to children, which some readers may find distressing, preferring to avoid.

The Spirit of Want
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes | on Smashwords

Like CatInTheHat's review? Post a comment saying so!
Life without a good book is something MrsCatInTheHat cannot imagine.
john harvey
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by john harvey »

a good book that influence a relationship
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I do like Mr. Coles as an author. This sounds like another good one. I'll definitely look into this. Thanks for a beautiful review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Elle Howard
Currently Reading: If life stinks get your head outta your buts
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elle-howard.html
Latest Review: And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White
Reading Device: 1400698987

Post by Elle Howard »

This book sounds like one I would enjoy. I look forward to learning more about Luke and Lucy. Thanks for the great review!
Any book that helps a child to form a habit of reading, to make reading one of his deep and continuing needs, is good for him.
–Maya Angelou
Christina Rose
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 135
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christina-rose.html
Latest Review: The Last Leaf to Fall by Amy M. Watson
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Christina Rose »

This sounds like a very good book. I'll have to add it to my list of books to read. It seems compelling and well written. Thank you for your insightful review.
MrsCatInTheHat
Currently Reading:

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

kandscreeley wrote:I do like Mr. Coles as an author. This sounds like another good one. I'll definitely look into this. Thanks for a beautiful review.
Sadly, it won't be long before I run out of books of his to read.
Sally_Heart
Currently Reading: The Surgeon's Wife
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sally-heart.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Sally_Heart »

I am currently reading my first book by this author. I am yet to form an idea on his writing skills. His books have definitely gotten great reviews though.
brendy
Currently Reading: The Spirit of Want
Bookshelf Size: 5

Post by brendy »

awesome book
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by Amagine »

Great intro and the story certainly does sound fascinating! I might have to add it to my shelf.

Great Review! ?
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
meteku4
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-meteku4.html
Latest Review: "Followed my Star" by AR Annahita

Post by meteku4 »

I agree that human relationships are complex. It will be nice to explore some of these through Mr Cols' eyes. Great review. Thanks!
Latest Review: "Followed my Star" by AR Annahita
kislany
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 527
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kislany.html
Latest Review: Golden Skies by Juan Zapata

Post by kislany »

Great review. I love medical mystery books (Robin Cook really spoiled me there) so this book will go on my TBR pile (which is, sadly, forever growing).
Wesono
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 407
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wesono.html
Latest Review: Randy Love...at your service by Shay Carter

Post by Wesono »

Intrigue and mystery: I like that in a story. The spirit of want must really be interesting but the review is a bit long.
MrsCatInTheHat
Currently Reading:

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

meteku4 wrote:I agree that human relationships are complex. It will be nice to explore some of these through Mr Cols' eyes. Great review. Thanks!
Coles does a remarkable job exploring human relationships. This is the third of his books that I've read. Each of them is outstanding in that regard.
MarisaRose
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 665">Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban</a>
Currently Reading: The Family Upstairs
Bookshelf Size: 435
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marisarose.html
Latest Review: The Magic Shard by eelonqa K harris

Post by MarisaRose »

I read this book, too, and I have to say I'm shocked by your rating! I found so many issues with the plot and pacing, I was simply frustrated by the end and couldn't wait to be done with it. I failed to see the connection between quite a few plot lines, and I also felt the characterization was incredibly lacking, things just happened at random. Glad you liked it though.
MrsCatInTheHat
Currently Reading:

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

MarisaRose wrote:I read this book, too, and I have to say I'm shocked by your rating! I found so many issues with the plot and pacing, I was simply frustrated by the end and couldn't wait to be done with it. I failed to see the connection between quite a few plot lines, and I also felt the characterization was incredibly lacking, things just happened at random. Glad you liked it though.

I think that this is why it is good that more than one reviewer reads a book and reviews it. We often see different things in a story. I have enjoyed your reviews in the past, so I'll have to go back and see if I can find yours, just to see your thoughts on it :)

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”