Review of Watercolors

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Shewaofafrica
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shewaofafrica.html
Latest Review: The Art OF Education by Lola Kay

Review of Watercolors

Post by Shewaofafrica »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Watercolors" by L E Magruder.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Lacy always thought she would remain Mrs. Morgan all through her life. After moving so many times to tend to Steve's career needs, making temporary shallow friendships, and having thirty years of marriage, she never expected divorce papers from Steve just before Thanksgiving. Her boys, Jason and Rayon, are apathetic to the situation, and Gabby, her daughter, just needs her as a babysitter. She has never felt more alone. Watercolors by L. E. Magruder captures the intriguing tale of Lacy and her journey to regain her sense of self, freedom, and independence. What does the future have in store for her?

Watercolors is a profound story with a message that addresses a subtle contemporary issue. Most women lose their identity—a sense of who they are—after marriage. They get so lost supporting their husbands and building the home that they forget to take care of themselves and their needs. Their needs and desires are suppressed and never prioritized. For many, their efforts go unnoticed and are never appreciated, just like Lacy. Lacy was married to a man who viewed others, including her, as competition. Steve loved feeding his ego, and Lacy had to shrink to ensure that the spotlight was always on him. This story serves as an eye-opener to this subtle form of mental and emotional abuse that usually goes unnoticed. It also gives hope for the possibility of reclaiming one's identity and freedom. It takes a great deal of work, but with the right support, it is possible. Lacy was blessed to have met Shari, her first true friend, Shirley, Jerry, and Gene. 

I could only find minor capitalization and grammar errors. The book was professionally edited. The progression and pace of the plot are very realistic. Even though Lacy wanted better for herself, she found it hard to let go of her thirty years of marriage. More so, she knew she was enabling Gabby, but she indulged her because of her grandchildren. The book was not fast-paced, nor was it slow-burning.

The story had quite a number of characters doing their thing at different times and places, but the author was able to capture all the action in the story at these different points and meld it into one. There were no cuts in between events, and the flow was seamless. I also enjoyed how the author would drop little hints about what would happen later in the book. It kept me interested.

I do not have any observations as to the negative aspects of the book, because there were none. I rate this book 5 out of 5 stars because it was a perfect read for me. I recommend it to anyone looking to venture into something new—a career or hobby—or entering a new chapter of their age and struggling with it. It is never too late to bloom! I also recommend it to readers who enjoy chick-lit fiction.

Watercolors
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Naushin Moledina
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Canterville Ghost
Currently Reading: Boundaries
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-naushin-moledina.html
Latest Review: Seduction and Securities of a Billionaire by Hadley Jayne
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 28%

Post by Naushin Moledina »

It’s true how a women’s identity is lost when she marries and gets to the service of her husband who treats her nothing more than a servant or an object. I love how you have beautifully crafted this review highlighting the crucial parts of the story. Thank you for a great review.
To hate is an easy lazy thing, but to love takes strength everyone has, but not all are willing to practice
Charmaine Mahlangu
Favorite Book: Defining a free man from a black stream
Currently Reading: Save the Last Bullet for God
Bookshelf Size: 95
2024 Reading Goal: 500
2024 Goal Completion: 18%

Post by Charmaine Mahlangu »

Wow! Parents go through a lot hey. I cannot imagine what she went through. I can't believe I couldn't wait to be older. Well done on your review its great work and thoroughly detailed. The book is a must read for me because I would really love to find out how she moves herself out of it.
Be yourself and nothing less
Loner Pen
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-loner-pen.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Loner Pen »

This review really piqued my interest! "Watercolors by L. E. Magruder" seems like a great read that delves into an important issue many women face after marriage. The story of Lacy's journey to regain her sense of self and independence sounds captivating, and I appreciate how the author addresses the subtle forms of mental and emotional abuse that often go unnoticed. I'll definitely be adding this book to my reading list! Unforgettable journey, filled with surprises and discoveries.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”