Official Review: The Second Cup by Sarah Marie Graye

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
micoleon13
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 96
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-micoleon13.html
Latest Review: Sandusky Burning by Bryan W. Conway

Official Review: The Second Cup by Sarah Marie Graye

Post by micoleon13 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Second Cup" by Sarah Marie Graye.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Sarah Marie Graye´s novel, The Second Cup, is a story predominantly about friendship and self-acceptance.

Four friends, Faye, Olivia, Beth and Abbie, have all met separately through happenstances of fate. All very different people, they somehow find a commonality which glues them together. However, when Faye thinks she sees a long lost love on the street, she is shocked by the effect it has on her. She confronts the rest of the girls as to whether they are really living their lives to the full. While this is a simple question, it throws them all off balance, forcing them to question their life choices, their work and their own relationships.

When tragedy strikes, their group is shaken to the core. Will they be able to rebuild the group friendship they once had, and, more importantly, will they be able to rebuild themselves?

Written in a mix of first and third person, the story follows each character as they develop in their own story. The switching between the perspectives, while a little confusing at first, enables the reader to not only get a personal insight into each character, but also an overview of the situation as the story moves along.

The four main characters were so realistic and relatable that I was able to see myself in several of them. However, it would have been nice to have had a bit more of a contrast between each of the characters as when the story was in first person, they sometimes tended to blend together, making it easy to forget who was talking. I enjoyed Olivia´s character the most as I felt she developed so much in her confidence and feelings of self-worth. At first I felt a bit annoyed at her always being the victim, looking to be rescued, but she showed that anyone can change for the better. Faye, I thought, was very emotional and portrayed confidence to hide her insecurities. These four women seemed to be very representative of different categories of people; those that can adapt to change, those that are destroyed by it and those who willfully hide from it.

For what seems like a relatively simple story, there were a lot of insights into mental health, self-confidence and the insecurities people have in everyday life. It also looked at the various coping methods which people utilize, whether it be alcohol abuse or projecting an over confident, eccentric facade.

Set in Manchester, England, the author hits the nail on the head with the gloomy depressing weather, the pub life and the constant thought of getting on a train and letting it lead you to a new start, or at least to provide temporary escape from the mundane ritual of daily life. Overall I enjoyed the book and I rate it 4 out of 4 stars. Classified as other fiction, the writing flows well and is easy to read, however, it’s not a bright, happy read. It is more suited to those readers who enjoy a serious book and are not put off by mental health subjects such as depression or suicide.

The Second Cup
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like micoleon13's review? Post a comment saying so!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Wow! I love books like this that give you insights into what real life and real struggles are like. Sounds quite interesting. I'll definitely have to look into this. Thanks for the insightful review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Mercelle
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 10262">The Wisdom and Peace of the Teachings of the Tao Te Ching</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercelle.html
Latest Review: The Future of Finance and Money by K. Braeden Anderson

Post by Mercelle »

I like books I can relate to. This is surely one of them.
"The minimum requirement for a dream is a safe place to lay your head."
~OluTimehin Adegbeye
Highschoolgeek
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 3559">City of Bones</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-highschoolgeek.html
Latest Review: "A Kingdom Forgotten" by Charles W. McDonald Jr.
Reading Device: B07R2NR5RM

Post by Highschoolgeek »

Mental health
I love books that talk about mental health
Latest Review: "A Kingdom Forgotten" by Charles W. McDonald Jr.
Jihyo36
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Jihyo36 »

It's good to read
Josebrish
Currently Reading: My Trip To Adele
Bookshelf Size: 42

Post by Josebrish »

I enjoyed Olivia´s character the most as I felt she developed so much in her confidence and feelings of self-worth.... Lovely book
john harvey
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by john harvey »

This story is very related to the youth people who are most hide their feelings and unconfindent to theirselves this story usually expresses the feelings and behavior of young people today
Elle Howard
Currently Reading: If life stinks get your head outta your buts
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elle-howard.html
Latest Review: And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White
Reading Device: 1400698987

Post by Elle Howard »

Your review was very well written. I enjoy books that portray friendships realistically. Life is not always rainbows and sunshine. This book sounds like it tackles both the good and the bad parts of being a friend. I look forward to reading it.
Any book that helps a child to form a habit of reading, to make reading one of his deep and continuing needs, is good for him.
–Maya Angelou
Christina Rose
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 135
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christina-rose.html
Latest Review: The Last Leaf to Fall by Amy M. Watson
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Christina Rose »

This book sounds interesting, and I like that it is written from the different perspectives of the four women. Even considering the slight confusion you mentioned differentiating between characters at times, it sounds intriguing to be able to glance at the multiple perspectives and personalities, and how each one deals with life. Thank you for your review!
geoffrey ngoima
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-geoffrey-ngoima.html
Latest Review: "The Little Girl Inside Owning My Role in My Own Pain" by Tonya Barbee
Reading Device: B00UB76290

Post by geoffrey ngoima »

I like the dynamics of characters' interrelationships, I hope it's as good as you say :) Adding this to my bookshelf
Latest Review: "The Little Girl Inside Owning My Role in My Own Pain" by Tonya Barbee
Miss ejay
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miss-ejay.html
Latest Review: "Guardian of Deceit" by William H. Coles

Post by Miss ejay »

I enjoy your review, the book sounds interesting and I so much relate. Adding to my bookshelf
Latest Review: "Guardian of Deceit" by William H. Coles
Joycelyn Karikari
Currently Reading: Embrace The Romance: Pets In Space 2
Bookshelf Size: 13

Post by Joycelyn Karikari »

I loved Olivia's character so much this is an interesting story i will add to my bookshelf
Kat Kennedy
Currently Reading: Superhighway
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kat-kennedy.html
Latest Review: "All About Water" by Greg Chick, Marta Zarrella

Post by Kat Kennedy »

Wow, this sounds like a great book. I love books about friendships, so I'm sure I'll enjoy this one. Thanks for writing a great review!
Latest Review: "All About Water" by Greg Chick, Marta Zarrella
meteku4
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-meteku4.html
Latest Review: "Followed my Star" by AR Annahita

Post by meteku4 »

I love books that look at life from various perspectives. I think I am going to enjoy it. Thumbs up for a great review!
Latest Review: "Followed my Star" by AR Annahita
Ashley Simon
Currently Reading: Zero K
Bookshelf Size: 141
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashley-simon.html
Latest Review: "Bible Answers" by Roseline Gaston Rabouin

Post by Ashley Simon »

I keep stumbling across books that play with shifts in narration lately. I also love books that dive into the inner motivations of characters - I'd like to check this one out. Thanks for a great review.
Latest Review: "Bible Answers" by Roseline Gaston Rabouin

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”