Official Review: The Second Cup by Sarah Marie Graye

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
mfhanauer
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Official Review: The Second Cup by Sarah Marie Graye

Post by mfhanauer »

Review of Sarah Marie Graye's The Second Cup

Sarah Marie Graye's The Second Cup tells the story of a group of friends living in Manchester, England. Each has their own unique perspective on life and on their relationships with each other. I found the writing to be uneven at times, but still found it to be a worthwhile read.
oneofthegreenkirtle
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by oneofthegreenkirtle »

To be honest, I do not understand the interest in this book. Generally, I am not bothered by shifts in perspective, but this one was so difficult to follow, I could not keep track of the story. Perhaps, I did not read carefully enough, but I was also surprised by spelling errors in the sample. This strikes a definite negative note right off. I do not think I will be reading this book.
kwahu
Favorite Author: Kathleen Geiger
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kwahu.html
Latest Review: The Ripples Spread by Fay Spurgin
fav_author_id: 73488

Post by kwahu »

I like how true personalities are being portrayed in the story. It tells us. That we aren't all the same.
Sareli

Post by Sareli »

Set in Manchester, England, The Second Cup began with a confusing prologue and a rapid segue into a chapter named for the character Faye, an artist. It took a moment to get the gist of her inner monologue, but it soon became clear that she thought she had caught a glimpse of her first love, Jack. Though it was a case of mistaken identity, it becomes evident that even after years apart, her feelings for Jack are still confused and she was never given a reason for his breaking away from her after college.

Subsequent chapters introduce Faye's friends and the dynamic among them.

I read only an excerpt of the book, but despite a bit of a rocky start, I found I wanted to learn more about the characters and their stories, so I purchased the book.
Frenjie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 165
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-frenjie.html
Latest Review: "The Dancing Barber" by AC Michael

Post by Frenjie »

The story seems interesting. I'm glad the writing went well and it's easy to read. Feeling a bit bad though knowing that it isn't a bright and happy read. But I'll save it for future reading.
" Desire is the starting point of all achievement, not a hope, not a wish but a keen pulsating desire which transcends everything." - Napoleon Hill
Latest Review: "The Dancing Barber" by AC Michael
mumoscar
Currently Reading: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mumoscar.html
Latest Review: Forbidden Someday by M. Acen
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by mumoscar »

Very nice psychological thriller. Friendship and mental health is good combination
nara_leparisien

Post by nara_leparisien »

:techie-reference: I have been looking for books like that since months. A book through which we can learn a lot about life, love, friendship and even self acceptance.
bazolo
Currently Reading: Relentless Alien Eyes
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bazolo.html
Latest Review: "Andalusian in Jerusalem" by Mois benarroch

Post by bazolo »

Great review it's such the friendly love story and how they encounter the unavoidable separation. It happens as the rest of us in our life it's good to see that they all look back to restore their friendship. The book is really good and demonstrate our reality
Latest Review: "Andalusian in Jerusalem" by Mois benarroch
Sandrodamus

Post by Sandrodamus »

Wow, that was well descripted. I definitely want to dive into that storyline and see what you mean about the characters blending together because I've noticed that in other stories as well.
Texas_Jazz2016
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 7394">Into the Fire</a>
Currently Reading: Roadmap to the End of Days
Bookshelf Size: 68
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-texas-jazz2016.html
Latest Review: "Escape" by Belle Ami

Post by Texas_Jazz2016 »

Thank you for an insightful review. I enjoy reading books about women characters and how they relate to each other and help each other through difficult life experiences.
A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies, the man who never reads lives only one. George RR Martin
Latest Review: "Escape" by Belle Ami
PriyaRD
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-priyard.html
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann

Post by PriyaRD »

Sounds interesting! If it talks about dealing with mental health and improving on self-confidence I would definitely read as these are two constant reminders which are needed in everyone's life. Good review!
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann
johnmgalla7
Currently Reading: Final Notice
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by johnmgalla7 »

my review of "The Second Cup" by Sarah Marie Graye.

The second cup is a unique multi-persona story. The writer (Ms Graye) used four different characters in a manner that convices the reader to tag along as each and every one of then.

It is a story that Imparts the social wellfare of people. In it the author (Ms Graye) managed to display the ups and downs of friendship. The indifferences and the insecurity facing a bond between four friends as they meet life head first with its challenges.

The author (Ms Graye) also managed to display the full potential of a friendship as seen when the four characters were strugling to maintain their friendship despite the fact that life ordeals meeting one of them (love) creates an indiference between them and shake the verry foundation of their friendship.

Most importantly, the author (Ms Graye) managed to display a social bond between people who just met without prior knowledge ofbone another and they managed to fit in a social circle. Here she displays that circumstancial meeting can lead to a true friendship. There musn’t be a prior knowledge about someone before you become friends.

The characters roles were perfectly distributed in the story as such it keeps a reader a bit confused but right on a good track of each as the story grows it all comes into focus.

out of 4 i rate 4
Last edited by gali on 16 Jan 2018, 02:25, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Edited out "Official"
meryna kate73
Currently Reading: Last Seen
Bookshelf Size: 22

Post by meryna kate73 »

Thanks for the great review. The author has intertwined four characters that represent categories of people that anyone can relate to in our day to day lives..could have put in a little contrast between characters..well written but I prefer a fast paced read.
ethelqa

Post by ethelqa »

TOPIC REVIEW: OFFICIAL REVIEW: THE SECOND CUP BY SARAH MARIE GRAYE

I won't say very well said or written instead 'VERY WELL EXPRESSED' Kudos to the writer you did not only reached your readers heart but also you connects with them. This story intrigues my interest. Well this support the saying 'No pain , No gain' and shows that 'Changes is inevitable '. Lastly, this portrait 'PAST EXPERIENCE' contribution what the subject is at the present.
Amy_Jackson
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: The In-Between
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-jackson.html
Latest Review: A Voice from Heaven by Alexander V Girman & Cynthia J Girman

Post by Amy_Jackson »

Sometimes you don't know know what is really in you till you come across certain people in life and face certain pressing situations. This is the type of book I read where I can put myself in a person's shoes and learn one or two things for myself. Thanks for this great review

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”