Review of Marines Aint So Tough

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Michael Valentine
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michael-valentine.html
Latest Review: Sacred Life and Demons by Kenneth Deaton

Review of Marines Aint So Tough

Post by Michael Valentine »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Marines Aint So Tough" by Jim Williams.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

"Marines Ain't So Tough and Other Short Stories" by Jim Williams is a captivating collection of distinct, unrelated narratives, each boasting its own unique and intriguing elements. Williams adeptly explores an array of genres, including mystery, science fiction, horror, romance, comedy, crime, and religious themes. Through encounters with enigmatic strangers and stories of friendship and conflict, this anthology delves into the intricacies of human nature.

One of the most intriguing aspects of this collection is William's unique approach to storytelling. Instead of providing clear-cut conclusions, he expertly weaves a narrative that caused me to actively engage with each story, especially in the first and third chapters. Williams effectively used different language registers to match the setting, whether it's a bar, a beach, or an office. Moreover, he skillfully captures each character's perspective, from children's playful innocence to adults' more complex viewpoints, thus adding nuance to the story. This, for example, occurs in the chapters involving 10-year-old Jimmy and Thomas, who learned astral projection. Another noteworthy aspect of this book is the author's mastery of narrative structure. Some chapters began with a tantalizing hint of what was to come, sparking my curiosity and anticipation without giving away crucial plot details. As the narrative unfolds, Williams takes me back to the beginning, laying out the events that led to the climactic moment. This cyclical structure allows for a comprehensive understanding of the plot, leaving no loose ends. He did perfectly with the chapter "If I knew then." What's truly remarkable is William's ability to execute this technique without causing confusion, ensuring a seamless reading experience. Furthermore, his ability to weave different elements such as sci-fi, romance, mystery, and horror is remarkable, causing strong emotional responses. The encounter with the sleeping nun is a prime example of the horrific aspect, causing a sense of fear and suspense.

While I enjoyed the diverse range of stories in this collection, I felt that some narratives were rushed, while others were over-elaborated, as seen in one of the plays. A few stories would have benefited from further development and refinement. This influences my removing one star from my rating.

I rate this book 4 out of 5 stars because it was concise, and each chapter's setting aligned well with the characters' diverse dialects. The author skillfully presented various points of view, differentiating between adult and child perspectives. It was an enjoyable read. Grammatical errors were minimal and did not detract significantly from the reading experience.

I would recommend this book to those who enjoy fictional works incorporating elements of science fiction, mystery, and romance. It promises to captivate their imagination. Additionally, this book is perfect for readers who appreciate interwoven narratives rather than a single linear storyline.

Marines Aint So Tough
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”