Official Review: Hope of Home by Samuel Cronin

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Izesicle
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 140
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-izesicle.html
Latest Review: With Malice Aforethought by Thonie Hevron
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Official Review: Hope of Home by Samuel Cronin

Post by Izesicle »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Hope of Home" by Samuel Cronin.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

What do Christmas stories remind you of? If it's kicking back with a hot chocolate drink with marshmallows, settling down for a leisurely read, or having a cathartic cry over the This is Us TV show, then this book is for you.

Hope of Home by Samuel Cronin is a fictional family drama and has a book-within-a-book format. Marcus Straw, estranged from his family, received an early Christmas gift from his grandfather Douglas. Within it is a letter asking him to come home because his grandmother misses him and is not well, along with a book written by Douglas also titled Hope of Home. His girlfriend Isabel convinces him to go home alone and even take the train so he can do an Eat, Pray, Love type vacation and reflection. During the trip, he reluctantly picks up the book and proceeds to feel differently towards his family.

Hope of Home by Douglas Straw is about a cynical Douglas who has received devastating news that he is trying to keep a secret from his family, especially his wife, May. Consequently, he does not want to do a time-honored family Christmas tradition - to play Santa - though his family is gathered outside his room waiting for him to give cheer and gifts. Despite much loving prodding from May, Douglas is undeterred, so May bundles up the family and takes them out to see the lights in the neighborhood. After some time, Douglas decides to follow the tradition after all and dons the Santa suit to surprise the family when they get back. Unfortunately, a tornado levels the town and his family does not return. In his grief, Douglas becomes like Miss Havisham, wearing the Santa suit while digging through the rubble to search for his family and waiting for them for months. Along with his friends Ruthie and Peter, Douglas opens the perfect, thoughtful presents from his family and thinks back to the times evoked by the gifts.

There are so many things to love about this book. The cover is well-designed; the reader peeks through a train window like Marcus. I like the allusion to Miss Havisham from Great Expectations and the framing device of the book within the book. In the beginning of the book, there was a list of the Straw family members, which was useful to me. I liked that there were three female characters who were listeners and acted as a moral compass. Samuel, the author, thoughtfully gives direction in the prologue on how to understand the chapter symbols that indicate time jumps and jumps between the main book and the book within the book. The directions were not needed though; the storyline is pretty easy to follow. The plots in both books are simple, but powerful enough to make me sit up and reflect on my personal situation. I even shared some of the anti-materialism quotes to my social media. One of my favourites is, "This land from sea to shining sea is littered with rubbish and broken things." Other writing gems include, "... a puff of ash with waterless eyes" and "You can't hold someone's heart while holding a gun too."

The writing of this book is like a calligraphy sample. It is beautiful; however, there are too many flourishes and curlicues, so much so that it is hard to understand some of it. This is a reason for me to take off a star and give a rating of 3 out of 4 stars. There are several grammar errors, such as using the word "discretely" instead of "discreetly" 3 times, saying "croon" instead of "craned their neck", missing words, incorrect pronouns used, punctuation mistakes, and run-on sentences. My mental autocorrect has disregarded these because I was more distracted by the parts of awkward writing. Phrases like, "...he said, with color" and "... his eyes foaming against the white-and-yellow checkered plastic tablecloth...". There was a preponderance of sentences following this format: (something profound), said (character), as (doing something irrelevant or incongruous). For example, "(something witty), said Ruthie, examining her nails." This is very distracting and monotonous, especially in a dialogue. In this excerpt, " 'Then what am I?,' his body leaned, face and hair leaning - toward a young dark realm.' 'Unopened.' " The impact of the dialogue is diluted by the excess flourishes in between.

Since this is a book about Christmas, there are definitely Christian and religious concepts. Given the tragedy in the book, the reader might echo a main character who said, "This holiday will plant a thorn so deep in my side, I will never be the same." Yet, as I said in the beginning, the tears will be cathartic. Let me leave you with another quote from the book, "Once you choose hope, anything else is possible."

Hope of Home
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Izesicle's review? Post a comment saying so!
MarisaRose
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 665">Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban</a>
Currently Reading: The Family Upstairs
Bookshelf Size: 435
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marisarose.html
Latest Review: The Magic Shard by eelonqa K harris

Post by MarisaRose »

I'm intrigued by the 'story-in-a-story' premise of this one, and I appreciate some of the references you allude to, but I'm a little put off by the writing style you mention. That being said, I really enjoyed your critique likening the writing style to calligraphy. Well done!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I do enjoy a good Christmas story every once in a while. :) Thanks for the review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
kwahu
Favorite Author: Kathleen Geiger
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kwahu.html
Latest Review: The Ripples Spread by Fay Spurgin
fav_author_id: 73488

Post by kwahu »

The calligraphy-like style is a clever catch point; I already crave turning the pages. I like it that even with all the critique, you manage to award 3 stars. Nice review.
KamSaid
Currently Reading: My Trip To Adele
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by KamSaid »

I like this story book...it make us appreciate everybody in the family....
juliusotinyo
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliusotinyo.html
Latest Review: Marrying a Playboy Billionaire by H M Irwing

Post by juliusotinyo »

Hi Izesicle, nice review. Not my kind of theme but I enjoyed your review.
Mercelle
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 10262">The Wisdom and Peace of the Teachings of the Tao Te Ching</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercelle.html
Latest Review: The Future of Finance and Money by K. Braeden Anderson

Post by Mercelle »

I love Christmas. Sounds like a book I will enjoy.
"The minimum requirement for a dream is a safe place to lay your head."
~OluTimehin Adegbeye
Nthabeleng
Currently Reading: Tips, Myths and Rips: A Physician's Advice
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nthabeleng.html
Latest Review: "Roadmap to the End of Days" by Daniel Friedmann

Post by Nthabeleng »

I'm saving this read for Christmas. I loved your review.
Latest Review: "Roadmap to the End of Days" by Daniel Friedmann
ANDREW MCFARLANE
Currently Reading: Shadow of the Raven (Book I of Sons of Kings trilogy)
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by ANDREW MCFARLANE »

one of the best books i have read so far
kislany
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 527
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kislany.html
Latest Review: Golden Skies by Juan Zapata

Post by kislany »

With Christmas almost upon us, this could go on many people's TBR shelves. Thank you for the great review.
habe2017
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by habe2017 »

It espouses the spirit of Christmas season that is oneness and love among family
Christina Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 135
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christina-rose.html
Latest Review: The Last Leaf to Fall by Amy M. Watson
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Christina Rose »

I do enjoy Christmas books, so I may check this one out. Thank you for sharing your thoughts. I enjoyed your review!
Izesicle
Currently Reading:

Post by Izesicle »

MarisaRose wrote:I'm intrigued by the 'story-in-a-story' premise of this one, and I appreciate some of the references you allude to, but I'm a little put off by the writing style you mention. That being said, I really enjoyed your critique likening the writing style to calligraphy. Well done!
thank you, Marisa! Yeah, what I typically look for in fiction, whether reading for pleasure or to review, is the writing style. I really like turns of phrase that have impact and make me wish I wrote it.

-- 13 Oct 2017, 05:53 --
kandscreeley wrote:I do enjoy a good Christmas story every once in a while. :) Thanks for the review.
thank you. It's the season for it too.
Job Njoroge
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-job-njoroge.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Job Njoroge »

Seems like one more writing style in town. Some like the one mentioned pose great problems especially when one does not understand them. Great review though
Izesicle
Currently Reading:

Post by Izesicle »

kwahu wrote:The calligraphy-like style is a clever catch point; I already crave turning the pages. I like it that even with all the critique, you manage to award 3 stars. Nice review.
Thank you. I would have given it a rating of 2 stars if there weren't phrases that I really liked and if the plot wasn't great.

-- 18 Oct 2017, 03:00 --
KamSaid wrote:I like this story book...it make us appreciate everybody in the family....
It absolutely does. One of my favourite parts in the book was when the main character was opening gifts and there was a chapter of a backstory per gift per family member.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”