Review of Long Way Out

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Martina Sette
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-martina-sette.html
Latest Review: The Struggle for Justice and Truth by Tomas Cudzis
2024 Reading Goal: 30
2024 Goal Completion: 156%

Review of Long Way Out

Post by Martina Sette »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Long Way Out" by Rand Bishop.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

"Long Way Out" by Rand Bishop is a very moving and touching book. It explores the complexities of identity, love, and the often painful journey toward self-acceptance. The storytelling is intimate and authentic, offering a meaningful exploration of the life of Russell Deacon, a character whose struggles and triumphs feel incredibly real and relatable.

The novel centers on Russell Deacon, a married insurance sales agent and Little League coach, who has been married to Tess for 13 years and is the father of two sons. His struggle with same-sex attraction and the debilitating depression that arises from living a double life overshadows Russell's perfect life. As his story unfolds, we witness his journey from deception to honesty, fragmentation to wholeness, ultimately stepping out of the closet and into the light.

I really liked how this book delved into the impact that compartmentalization and denial can have on a person's mental health. The author does not shy away from depicting Russell's depression and the inner turmoil that comes with maintaining a facade. This theme resonates deeply with anyone who has ever felt the need to hide a fundamental part of themselves to fit societal or familial expectations.

The character development is strong, with Russell evolving from a man living in fear and denial of someone who courageously embraces his true self, despite the inevitable challenges. The portrayal of his relationship with his family is handled with nuance and empathy.

I rate "Long Way Out" 5 out of 5 stars, and the reasons are above. There's nothing I disliked; I liked everything! Also, it's well edited since I've found no errors. Being very attached to these themes, I couldn't read this book. The sensitivity with which it is written and how it makes you empathize with the protagonist impressed me.

I highly recommend it to readers who enjoy LGBTQ+ fiction and appreciate stories about personal growth and self-discovery. Rand Bishop has crafted a compelling narrative that is as uplifting as it is heartbreaking, and it deserves a place on the bookshelf of anyone who values authentic, emotionally resonant storytelling.

Long Way Out
View: on Bookshelves
David Awunor
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-david-awunor.html
Latest Review: Alpha Buddies Land by Donna Marie Rink

Post by David Awunor »

The journey to self-acceptance is a long one, but I'm glad he made it. Your review is very professional. However, I'll pass since that genre isn't my favorite.
Alissa Nesson
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alissa-nesson.html
Latest Review: The Newton Code by Liam Fialkov

Post by Alissa Nesson »

This sounds like a very sensitive portrayal of a difficult issue, and I’m glad it was done well enough to illicit empathy for the character. It’s always difficult to hide an important part of who you are, and this issue must be incredibly difficult for people who aren’t sure they’ll be accepted by the people they love. It must be even harder when you’ve already created a life with someone. As someone who loves people in the LGBT community, it sounds like a book that may help me to understand even better. Thank you for your review
“Our lives become the stories that we weave.”
- Once On This Island

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”