Review by Abayomi2060 -- Border Post 99 by Kedar Patankar

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Abayomi2060
2018 Reading Goal: 10
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 10
2017 Reading Goal: 15
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 26
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abayomi2060.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Review by Abayomi2060 -- Border Post 99 by Kedar Patankar

Post by Abayomi2060 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Border Post 99" by Kedar Patankar.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Border Post 99, written by Kedar Patankar is an interesting novella about two rival soldiers at the India-Pakistan border. Published by Global Mind Publishing, Kedar Patankar takes you through 84 pages of a well-written and intriguing plot. Kedar has siblings who fought in the Indian army and the tales they told of World War 2 and the border wars of Kashmir charmed him as a kid. Border Post 99 is concocted from stories he heard when he was a child.

Mangesh Sharma is a 25-year-old, freshly commissioned officer of the Indian army with no battle experience, exhausted and unhappy, he makes his way to the India-Pakistan border. Due to ongoing peace talks in Delhi, Sharma is instructed not to strike first at any enemy seen during his border patrol. Subsequently, he sights Captain Abid Khan, a Pakistani soldier, at the stream. Captain Khan is a war-weary soldier who has served for 9 years in the army. In the following weeks, Sharma and Abid pull pranks on each other but what happens when they go too far? Will they hold back at not shoot at each other?

I liked the fact that the author’s diction was very simple. This book can be read and fully understood by children as young as 10 years. The characters in the book are not excessive which made understanding the book very easy. I finished reading the book in approximately 3 hours and I did not spot any error when I was reading. The omniscient point of view is employed in the book and the author does a very good job of developing his characters quite aptly. The book is generally fast-paced and action-packed and I really enjoyed reading the book.

The themes portrayed in the book are those of basic human nature such a hatred, revenge, love, friendship etc. Although I cannot say that Kedar Patankar’s Border Post 99 can stand the test of time or be categorized among award-winning novels, it surely is a book that appeals to all. It is the kind of book that one can pick up and read when bored. It is a heart-warming story about humanity and hope.

Due to the fact that I thoroughly enjoyed reading the book and I did not find any editing errors, I shall not hesitate to rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. I recommend this book to anyone who loves reading novels. A simple and short story about an Indian and a Pakistani, I never thought it would be this interesting.

Border Post 99
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Abayomi2060's review? Post a comment saying so!

mumoscar
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 4
Currently Reading: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mumoscar.html
Latest Review: Forbidden Someday by M. Acen
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by mumoscar »

Thanks for reading the book. I reviewed the book and I will agree that it's written in a simple language for all to understand. Nice review.

Abayomi2060
Currently Reading:

Post by Abayomi2060 »

mumoscar wrote:Thanks for reading the book. I reviewed the book and I will agree that it's written in a simple language for all to understand. Nice review.
Thanks mumoscar

Nick Rones
2017 Reading Goal: 10
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 28
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nick-rones.html
Latest Review: "Border Post 99" by Kedar Patankar

Post by Nick Rones »

Thank you for a refreshing review.

I have just started reading this book for review. I am looking forward to discussing the book with you.
Latest Review: "Border Post 99" by Kedar Patankar

Abayomi2060
Currently Reading:

Post by Abayomi2060 »

Nick Rones wrote:Thank you for a refreshing review.

I have just started reading this book for review. I am looking forward to discussing the book with you.

Your are welcome, Nick. I hope you enjoy the book as much as I did.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”