Review of New Vista

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kendal Low
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: As Good As Dead
Bookshelf Size: 191
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kendal-low.html
Latest Review: New Vista by Brian J. Squire

Review of New Vista

Post by Kendal Low »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "New Vista" by Brian J. Squire.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

The year is 2046 and the world as we know it has come to an end. What used to be the United States of America is now a part of “the Central Authority.” This new world is under an incredibly oppressive and dangerous government. However, the war for freedom wages on, as there are still people who refuse to be part of a ruthless game. New Vista by Brian J. Squire is the story of these “freedom fighters” and their refusal to simply oblige.

This book comprises 51 short chapters that are easily readable and keep the story flowing nicely. The chapters follow different points of view to give the audience a well-rounded concept of each character’s journey. This, I believe, was a clever way to watch the climax of the story come about, as the readers are made to understand the gravity of the situation for each character. Knowing the stakes makes it infinitely more enjoyable to read about.

I was definitely a fan of the author’s writing style. It was clear and easy to follow, and the characters were all well-developed and easy to read about. In my opinion, it was also very easy to pick sides to root for and against. Throughout my time reading the novel, it was clear to see the author’s vision and passion through his words. I believe he did a wonderful job of turning his idea into a full-length novel.

My one critique of the book is the editing. I found many errors as I made my way through the pages. I believe this did slightly affect my enjoyment of the book, and it would be beneficial to have the book professionally edited.

This was my only issue with the book and had it had better editing, I would have given it a perfect rating. However, I was impressed with the book as a whole, and I would still very happily recommend it to other readers. As a result of the reasons listed above, I rate this book 4 out of 5 stars.

I would recommend this book to readers who are typically drawn to the science fiction/fantasy category. The world in this book was explained well, the politics were easy to follow, and the plot was captivating. However, I believe the book is only suited to mature readers as a result of the violent and sexual themes included throughout the novel, as well as the incredibly strong language.

New Vista
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”