Official Review: Gradle Bird by J.C. Sasser

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3251

Official Review: Gradle Bird by J.C. Sasser

Post by Amagine »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Gradle Bird" by J.C. Sasser.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Family is important to most people. They are the ones who you can always count on to provide you with love and support. They are the ones who you can always turn to whenever you’re feeling lonely and just need somebody to stay by your side. Even though families are supposed to be a source of warmth and love, there are some families that are full of tragic secrets and deep misunderstandings. In J.C Sasser’s Gradle Bird, readers will see the complexities of a family dynamic that embodies both love and secrets.

In the story, readers meet sixteen-year-old, Gradle Bird, who lives in a motel with her grandfather. Gradle Bird constantly seeks open affection from her grandfather who mainly regards her with indifference. She goes as far as to try to physically resemble her deceased mother in an effort to gain his love. After a letter is sent to her grandfather about the possible foreclosure of an old house, he suddenly uproots them from their life at the motel into a new life at the house.

Even though the house is rumored to be haunted by the ghost of the former owner, Gradle finds herself mystified by her grandfather’s interest in the home and unbeknownst to her, his interest in the ghost that haunts the attic. In the meantime, she meets a wide cast of individuals who all share tragic pasts that draws her to them. She meets Delvis Miles, an interesting man whose family history clashes with hers in ways she would never have thought possible. Gradle Bird is a story about family, forgiveness, and redemption.

The plot of Gradle Bird was exemplary and full of rich content that will draw its readers in. Sasser weaves a compelling tale that is filled with mysteries, but enough information that will keep one enthralled as they try to piece the puzzle of Gradle’s family history together. Sasser never reveals too much all at once but doesn’t leave a stone unturned either. The plot and language of the book held a mixture of tragedy and hope. These two contradicting factors serve to make the story even more interesting to the readers. While the plot was wonderfully written, the characters in Gradle Bird were well-crafted as well.

One aspect that was enjoyable about the characters was the fact that any one of them could be the main character of their own book. Each main character had a story and a complex personality. There are no cookie cutter characters in this book. One of the characters that stood out the most was the titular character, Gradle Bird. Gradle starts off the story as a young girl seeking male attention to make up for the lack of attention from her grandfather. She is so desperate for her grandfather’s affection that she changes her appearance to match her dead mother. Later in the story, readers see a growth to her character as she cuts away the past and starts to accept her own reflection. This was a pivotal moment in the book that will make her character even more lovable to readers.

I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. There isn’t anything negative I can say about the book. The plot was well written, the characters were well-crafted and I didn’t see any grammatical errors. I would recommend this book to anyone who enjoys reading about compelling family mysteries. This is a book that will delight and entertain many readers, and I would encourage anyone to read it.

Gradle Bird
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Amagine's review? Post a comment saying so!
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
Kelebogile Mbangi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 123
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kelebogile-mbangi.html
Latest Review: At Day's End, I'll Always Be Me by Jerry A. Greenberg

Post by Kelebogile Mbangi »

Shame, I feel Gradle, having to earn affection like that... how sad. I love the spooky elements to the book. Thank you for the review Amagine. :)
"And will you succeed?
Yes! You will, indeed!
(98 and 3/4 percent guaranteed.)
KID, YOU'LL MOVE MOUNTAINS!" - Dr. Seuss
Farhan faryad
Currently Reading: My Trip To Adele
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Farhan faryad »

I love the spooky elements to the book
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

This is interesting. It seems like this combines several different elements to it. The name is kind of interesting. I'll look into this one. Great review as always.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Murmuring Letters
Favorite Author: Maggie Stiefvater
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-murmuring-letters.html
Latest Review: Marrying a Playboy Billionaire by H M Irwing
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 3662

Post by Murmuring Letters »

Thank you for your review, it is really well written! I loved how you talked about families in the introduction before going on to describe the book. It is difficult to make all characters unique and individuals and I just love authors who can make that happen as you have stated that it is evident here. It seems like a really interesting story that everyone would enjoy reading.
Amagine

Post by Amagine »

Thank you for reading, everyone!
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

Mercelle
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 10262">The Wisdom and Peace of the Teachings of the Tao Te Ching</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercelle.html
Latest Review: The Future of Finance and Money by K. Braeden Anderson

Post by Mercelle »

Gradle's life must have been quite difficult...
"The minimum requirement for a dream is a safe place to lay your head."
~OluTimehin Adegbeye
Amagine

Post by Amagine »

Mercy Bolo wrote:Gradle's life must have been quite difficult...
She did have a bit of unhappy times. Thanks for reading! :D

hepto
Currently Reading: Hiramic Brotherhood: Ezekiel's Temple Prophesy
Bookshelf Size: 22

Post by hepto »

I fell in love with Gradle and Delvis, two wonderfully written characters. This fantastical story tells of friendship, loss, love, and self discovery.
Amagine

Post by Amagine »

Yes, they were amazing characters!

Thank you for reading! ?

Christina Rose
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 135
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christina-rose.html
Latest Review: The Last Leaf to Fall by Amy M. Watson

Post by Christina Rose »

This sounds like an intriguing book. The premise is different, and it seems to be well written. It sounds like there is a lot of character development, which I find to be an important element. I'll be adding this to my list of books to read. Thank you for your thoughts!
Amagine

Post by Amagine »

Christina Rose wrote:This sounds like an intriguing book. The premise is different, and it seems to be well written. It sounds like there is a lot of character development, which I find to be an important element. I'll be adding this to my list of books to read. Thank you for your thoughts!
Thank youfor reading! :)

bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Excellent review! The premise of the story sounds interesting, although I am not sure this book is for me. I get creeped out by ghosts in books unless the book is humorous.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
Amagine

Post by Amagine »

bookowlie wrote:Excellent review! The premise of the story sounds interesting, although I am not sure this book is for me. I get creeped out by ghosts in books unless the book is humorous.
Hahaha! It's a pretty harmless ghost. Thanks for reading, bookowlie! :)

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”