Review of The Last Rhino: An African Wildlife Adventure

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Seetha E
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: The prodigy slave
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-seetha-e.html
Latest Review: The Last Rhino: An African Wildlife Adventure by David Mark Quigley

Review of The Last Rhino: An African Wildlife Adventure

Post by Seetha E »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Last Rhino: An African Wildlife Adventure" by David Mark Quigley.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

David Mark Quigley, a New Zealander, is passionate about animals and nature. Drawing inspiration from his extensive travel across Europe, Australia, and Africa, he has written action adventures. The Last Rhino: An African Wildlife Adventure is the first in his African series, followed by two more titles: White Gold and African Lion.

The Last Rhino: An African Wildlife Adventure tells the story of Tony Campbell, a 26-year-old wildlife conservationist in southern Africa. Tony and a few rangers were involved in Operation Stronghold, a government-backed rhino protection and translocation program in Zimbabwe. He had to relocate the one last male rhino before joining WWF to take over a new role. The mission spreads wider and is set in Zimbabwe's Zambezi Valley, stretching from Mana Pools National Park north to the rugged Zambezi River gorge below Victoria Falls in the southwest.

The valley had experienced the worst wave of poaching due to political instability, poverty, crime, and illegal organized poaching. Does Tony succeed in this war against a formidable Jacob Vusa, the poaching kingpin? The story is filled with action and adventure, and it sheds light on the importance of wildlife conservation. Grab a copy of The Last Rhino: An African Wildlife Adventure by David Mark Quigley to learn more.

I particularly enjoyed the way the author built the story around the mother and the twin rhinos at the beginning. It effectively established a profound connection with the protagonist and the cause. I also appreciate how the book educates the reader about the importance of the rhino species and its impact on the ecosystem. Furthermore, the narrative also delves into the multifaceted uses of the rhino horn, providing a background on how all these factors influenced the people as they saw it as a source of huge profits. The ruthless exploitation that followed resulted in a drastic decline of the rare and irreplaceable treasure. I appreciate that the author has made efforts to educate, sensitize, and create awareness against acts that entail the thoughtless slaughter of wildlife.

The narrative makes a point of highlighting the rangers' unwavering commitment and the risks associated with being on a mission. Although I understand and accept that this is a difficult task, I realized the level of planning and the extent of the risks involved after reading this. The meticulously detailed confrontation scenes and the intense plot culmination were the highlights of the book for me.

I must mention that there were some punctuation errors and parts that needed a re-read for clarity, which resulted in my taking longer to complete this 100-page book. However, these issues did not affect my overall positive impression of the book. In the absence of any negative aspects, I rate it five out of five stars for its engaging storytelling and its commitment to wildlife conservation.

This is a book that will interest wildlife conservationists and readers of adventure, and it is also good material for people curious about the work involved at ground level. I recommend it to adult readers due to the presence of profanity.

The Last Rhino: An African Wildlife Adventure
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Byron Dsouza
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: Alpha Buddies Land
Currently Reading: Fireproof Happiness
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-byron-dsouza.html
Latest Review: Alpha Buddies Land by Donna Marie Rink

Post by Byron Dsouza »

"He had to relocate the one last male rhino before joining WWF to take over a new role." This sounds like a dream job to me. With the love for wildlife and nature, this book seems interesting to me. Thanks for a great review.
Seetha E
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: The prodigy slave
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-seetha-e.html
Latest Review: The Last Rhino: An African Wildlife Adventure by David Mark Quigley

Post by Seetha E »

It is an interesting read; noble cause, dangerous task.
Thanks for your kind words.
Happy reading!

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”