Official Review: Place 33, Secrets of Universal Truths Re...

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
LivreAmour217
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Too many to count
Favorite Book: Ditto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 294
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-livreamour217.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Official Review: Place 33, Secrets of Universal Truths Re...

Post by LivreAmour217 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Place 33, Secrets of Universal Truths Revealed" by Sherilyn Bridget Avalon.]
Book Cover
1 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Place 33: Secrets of Universal Truths Revealed Through Hypnotic Channeling chronicles the author's journey into the afterlife via hypnosis. Author Sherilyn Bridget Avalon begins her spiritual journey when she takes on a graphic design job for an indoor skydiving facility. There, she meets Sterling, a janitor who has a deep connection to the spiritual realm. Together, they ride on the "Elevator of Enlightenment" to different dimensions.

While definitely a unique concept, Place 33 is a jarring, disjointed read that is very difficult to follow. I do consider myself a spiritual person, and I don't hold any strong opinions about hypnosis, so I can confidently say that my conclusions do not stem from a lack of belief. I wanted to enjoy this book, but Place 33 leaves much to be desired.

Foremost, this book is in great need of re-editing. At the beginning of the book, Ms. Avalon thanks her editors, but the enormous number of errors throughout this book made me doubt their merits. There are a great number of missing or incorrectly placed commas, many cases of dialogue without quotation marks (which led to some confusion), and a smattering of punctuation errors. But the most glaring oversight is the constant shift between first and third person point-of-view. The author switched frequently between the first and third person perspectives, which was an enormous distraction throughout the book.

Place 33 also falls short in overall narration. The book switches settlings abruptly, and there were times when I had trouble figuring out the author's physical location. The scenes that played out in the spiritual realm were understandably abstract, but the author used many words and phrases to describe these events that I did not comprehend. Ms. Avalon seems to be quite knowledgeable about many different religious doctrines, and I couldn't help but feel that this book was filled with a lot of otherworldly jargon. I would have appreciated some expansion on some of the topics, or perhaps the inclusion of a glossary for easy reference.

I also had trouble sympathizing with the author as a person. To be honest, Sherilyn came across and flat and underdeveloped. Details about her life were scant, or sometimes revealed a bit too late. I just could not connect to her, and I felt similarly about the other characters within the book.

Place 33: Secrets of Universal Truths Revealed Through Hypnotic Channeling has many shortcomings, and unfortunately I can only rate it 1 out of 4 stars at this time. Those who are interested in hypnosis may find the subject matter of this book interesting, but I cannot recommend it to anyone in its current state.

Place 33, Secrets of Universal Truths Revealed
View: on Bookshelves

Like LivreAmour217's review? Post a comment saying so!
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - Albert Einstein
juliusotinyo
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliusotinyo.html
Latest Review: Marrying a Playboy Billionaire by H M Irwing

Post by juliusotinyo »

This is a subject am deeply interested in. Too bad for the disjointed plot and errors. I might still look it up.
Currently Reading: Apollo's Raven
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-0719672189.html
Latest Review: "Heartaches" by H.M. Irwing

Post by 0719672189 »

Authors should make an effort to get their books edited so that their readers are not discouraged.Not a fan of this genre but thanks for the great review.
Latest Review: "Heartaches" by H.M. Irwing
LivreAmour217
Currently Reading:

Post by LivreAmour217 »

juliusotinyo wrote:This is a subject am deeply interested in. Too bad for the disjointed plot and errors. I might still look it up.
There are some interesting concepts within this book, but they aren't presented in the best way. I hope that the author is able to get this book professionally edited. Thanks for reading my review!

-- 03 Oct 2017, 05:25 --
0719672189 wrote:Authors should make an effort to get their books edited so that their readers are not discouraged.Not a fan of this genre but thanks for the great review.
I agree completely! Thank you for reading my review!
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - Albert Einstein
Aro victor
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Aro victor »

i love this book a lot... thinking of getting it for another reader...
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

This book wouldn't be for me anyway, but if you who were open to something like this didn't like it, I know that I wouldn't enjoy it. Sorry you had to endure this one!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
ashley_claire
Favorite Book: The Prince of Tides
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 158
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashley-claire.html
Latest Review: One Way or Another by Mary J. Williams

Post by ashley_claire »

Poor editing is a huge pet peeve of mine. It's so distracting and really takes away from the overall enjoyment of a book. Thanks for the honest review.
Blue-siren
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-blue-siren.html
Latest Review: Puffy and the Formidable Foe by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon

Post by Blue-siren »

I still might look this book up, to see where exactly the mistakes were made and this book might be a topic I could be into. Thanks for the review!
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by Amagine »

It's unfortunate that the story is full of mistakes and undeveloped characters. Hopefully the author will edit the book and rewrite some things.

Great Review! ?
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Zelinda
Favorite Book: The Swallow
Currently Reading: Of Illusions and Inkwells
Bookshelf Size: 689
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zelinda.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew da Vinci by Belle Ami
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Zelinda »

Looks like you have saved me some time, LivreAmour217. Like many people, I really hate giving up on a book once I've started. This looks like one with which I won't have that problem.
“In books I have traveled, not only to other worlds, but into my own.”
― Anna Quindlen, How Reading Changed My Life
LivreAmour217
Currently Reading:

Post by LivreAmour217 »

kandscreeley wrote:This book wouldn't be for me anyway, but if you who were open to something like this didn't like it, I know that I wouldn't enjoy it. Sorry you had to endure this one!
Lol, thanks! It's never fun to give a low review, but I guess that we can't always have things our way. Thanks for reading!

-- 03 Oct 2017, 15:06 --
Zelinda wrote:Looks like you have saved me some time, LivreAmour217. Like many people, I really hate giving up on a book once I've started. This looks like one with which I won't have that problem.
I am happy to be of service! To be honest, I'm not sure that I would have finished this one if I hadn't been obligated to write the review. Thank you for taking the time to read my review!

-- 03 Oct 2017, 15:08 --
Amagine wrote:It's unfortunate that the story is full of mistakes and undeveloped characters. Hopefully the author will edit the book and rewrite some things.

Great Review!

Thank you very much! I also hope that the author has the book professionally edited.

-- 03 Oct 2017, 15:09 --
ashley_claire wrote:Poor editing is a huge pet peeve of mine. It's so distracting and really takes away from the overall enjoyment of a book. Thanks for the honest review.
You are welcome, and thank you for reading it! Poor editing is a major pet peeve of mine as well.

-- 03 Oct 2017, 15:10 --
Aro victor wrote:i love this book a lot... thinking of getting it for another reader...
I'm glad that you enjoyed the book. Thank you for stopping by!
Quinto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 704
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-quinto.html
Latest Review: The Longfellah's Son: An Almost True Irish Story by Michael Cassidy

Post by Quinto »

Thanks for an informative read. I hope the author improves the editing, the ideas in the book look worth sharing.
LivreAmour217
Currently Reading:

Post by LivreAmour217 »

Quinto wrote:Thanks for an informative read. I hope the author improves the editing, the ideas in the book look worth sharing.
I hope so, too. The book would be much more enjoyable with proper editing. Thanks for reading!

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”