Official Review: Broken by Samuel Alexander

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
L_Therese
Currently Reading: American Psycho
Bookshelf Size: 1970
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-l-therese.html
Latest Review: The Middle Ages by Jane Chance

Official Review: Broken by Samuel Alexander

Post by L_Therese »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Broken" by Samuel Alexander.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

There’s nothing easy about being a teenager, but when you grow up in a home with abuse, struggle with depression, and have body image issues, it takes difficult to a whole new level. In Samuel Alexander’s novel Broken: The Edge of Sanity, main character Bryan is having just this kind of teenage experience. To heap icing on top of that unappetizing cake, Bryan is gay, and he might be crushing on his best friend Sandjai.

Sandjai, newly arrived as an immigrant, is looking for a friend when he runs into Bryan, who is composing a suicide note. Having met at this vulnerable and pivotal juncture, the two quickly become fast friends. As time goes on, new revelations challenge their friendship, and Bryan must learn to enjoy and appreciate his life separate from his relationship with Sandjai. Is their relationship healthy or has Bryan started leaning too much on Sandjai for affirmation and support?

There were a lot of strong points in this book. It really did an excellent job capturing nuances of an evolving relationship. Further, every development made sense within the story, allowing the intimacy between the two young men to feel very real and natural. Readers can also look forward to a surprise at the end that is, in this reviewer’s opinion, the book’s crown jewel. (It’s a surprise, though – no hints!)

For all its strengths, the book also had a number of weaknesses. The most minor was editing mistakes. Throughout the book, there were a number of spelling and punctuation errors, ranging from turning “Sandjai” into “Snadjai” to missing apostrophes and commas. More importantly, most of the dialogue was unattributed to a character. A reader would need to try surmising from context which character said what, and often a different character’s reaction would be included in the next sentence without starting a new paragraph. This made it much more difficult to appreciate the relationship dynamics between characters because it was harder to keep their voices straight. Most devastatingly to this reviewer’s mind, there was a lack of setting for the story. The reader could attempt to make guesses about the time, place, and cultural context in which the characters exist, but nothing is ever explicitly revealed by the author to confirm any guesses. This lack of context makes it more difficult to predict characters’ behavior or get an idea of which behaviors are taboo, abnormal, or expected.

Prospective readers should also be aware that this book contains a graphic sex scene as well as much discussion about minors participating in adult sexual behaviors. Readers should be prepared to encounter teenagers as young as 14 years old discussing past sexual encounters with peers.

Weighing the strengths and the weaknesses together, I rate Broken by Samuel Alexander 2 out of 4 stars. The book is not without strengths, but it could definitely use an editor. As I consider whether the book is recommendable, I am discouraged from widely recommending it by the lack of setting and the highly sexual content in addition to the editing challenges. I hope that another round of editing will help this book gain appeal so it can reach its niche readership.

Broken
View: on Bookshelves

Like L_Therese's review? Post a comment saying so!
Nthabeleng
Currently Reading: Tips, Myths and Rips: A Physician's Advice
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nthabeleng.html
Latest Review: "Roadmap to the End of Days" by Daniel Friedmann

Post by Nthabeleng »

The cover of this book is really appealing and the title is awesome but I don't like the fact that it has sexual content, thanks for the review.
Latest Review: "Roadmap to the End of Days" by Daniel Friedmann
Elle Howard
Currently Reading: If life stinks get your head outta your buts
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elle-howard.html
Latest Review: And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White
Reading Device: 1400698987

Post by Elle Howard »

Thank you for your honest opinion of this book. You gave a very good summary of the book and gave both positive and negative things you liked about the novel. I am not sure I would read the book but I am adding it to my bookshelf.
Any book that helps a child to form a habit of reading, to make reading one of his deep and continuing needs, is good for him.
–Maya Angelou
MrsCatInTheHat
Favorite Book: Cry the Beloved Country
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrscatinthehat.html
Latest Review: Marc Marci by Larry G. Goldsmith
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 0

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

It sounds like this book would be an emotional challenge to read. To me, that is a good thing, as when a story challenges me, I grow.
Life without a good book is something MrsCatInTheHat cannot imagine.
Zelinda
Favorite Book: The Swallow
Currently Reading: Of Illusions and Inkwells
Bookshelf Size: 689
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zelinda.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by Zelinda »

This sounds like a book written for young adults that should not be marketed to young adults. I hope the author reworks the book, because it sound like it has value.
“In books I have traveled, not only to other worlds, but into my own.”
― Anna Quindlen, How Reading Changed My Life
Ubyamos
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ubyamos.html
Latest Review: The Warramunga's War by Greg Kater

Post by Ubyamos »

Thanks for the nice review but I don't think I'm interested in this one.
I don't like books that makes me read back and forth just to figure out which character is saying what.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I'm sorry about the setting and lack of context for the characters. If it weren't for the issues, it sounds like it could be a good story. Thanks for the review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Murmuring Letters
Favorite Author: Maggie Stiefvater
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-murmuring-letters.html
Latest Review: Marrying a Playboy Billionaire by H M Irwing
fav_author_id: 3662

Post by Murmuring Letters »

Thank you for posting such an honest and detailed review. I really liked the outline of the story as you summarized it, I even thought about reading the novel but then got discouraged when you mentioned the many grammatical mistakes and the unusual writing style. I find it really difficult to read a book with so many grammatical errors but I could get through it if the story and the overall feeling was good. Thank you for ending the review on a positive note, I think it will really help the author to improve the novel.
Gingerbo0ks
Currently Reading: All the Crooked Saints
Bookshelf Size: 168
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gingerbo0ks.html
Latest Review: "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon

Post by Gingerbo0ks »

L_Therese wrote: importantly, most of the dialogue was unattributed to a character. A reader would need to try surmising from context which character said what, and often a different character’s reaction would be included in the next sentence without starting a new paragraph. This made it much more difficult to appreciate the relationship dynamics between characters because it was harder to keep their voices straight. Most devastatingly to this reviewer’s mind, there was a lack of setting for the story. The reader could attempt to make guesses about the time, place, and cultural context in which the characters exist, but nothing is ever explicitly revealed by the author to confirm any guesses.
I really hope this is addressed, as this author has a habit of writing this way, which really dampens the enjoyment and appreciation of the novel. It's such a shame as there are some good story lines and plot ideas. I hope the author will consider a thorough edit.
"One must always be careful of books, and what is inside them, for words have the power to change us.”
― Cassandra Clare, Clockwork Angel
Latest Review: "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon
ebethina
Currently Reading: Homeport
Bookshelf Size: 128
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ebethina.html
Latest Review: "Temptation Trials Part II" by B. Truly

Post by ebethina »

Wow sounds really good, thanks for sharing
Latest Review: "Temptation Trials Part II" by B. Truly

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”