Review of No Ordinary Gesture Will Do

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Abraham Ozo
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 139
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abraham-ozo.html
Latest Review: From Drift to SHIFT by Jody B. Miller

Review of No Ordinary Gesture Will Do

Post by Abraham Ozo »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "No Ordinary Gesture Will Do" by Philip Marks.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

In a small town, Kinneysville, that could hardly boast of opportunities to witness extraordinary events, the birth of Matthew Martin Johansen on Kinney Street at the back of a pick-up truck was truly phenomenal. Perhaps the circumstances surrounding his birth explain MJ's fascination with the ranch, T/M Farms and Ranches. He looked forward to spending his summers with the Nevins and Kellers, who were close friends of his family.

No Ordinary Gesture Will Do by Philip Marks is the coming-of-age story of MJ, the tiny, shy wonder boy of Kinneysville, who must learn to live outside his shell and face the world. Luckily, he has his parents' friends who have turned family ready to help as much as they can. 

There are notable positive aspects to this book. No Ordinary Gesture Will Do is the third book in a series that started with "Brothers of the Wind." Yet, this book can be read as a stand-alone without needing to read the first book. The author went back to the past to highlight moments relevant for readers to understand the present events in the story. The transition from the past to the present was executed with skill, and there is no room for confusion.

The loyal and closely-knit friendship shared by Marty, Mattie, Owen, Lionel, Lorry, Ty, and Ginny, which extended to their partners and children, is incredibly impressive and inspiring. It is quite amazing that they were able to maintain a strong and devoted friendship. A forever friendship forged in their university days in 1968 has turned them into family, incapable of separating. They cared for one another and loved one another without conditions. Furthermore, the author pleasantly describes the setting of the story, in which readers are transported to the ranch in real-time while reading. The book is professionally edited. I could only find a few errors in the book.

I rate this book 5 out of 5 stars. I could not find any negative aspects to this book, and it was a wonderful read. Funny pranks written in the book and MJ's mannerisms would make me laugh out loud, and the consequences of the firestorm that would occasionally happen in the town would bring tears to my eyes. I recommend this book to readers who enjoy teen fiction and Western-themed stories. 

No Ordinary Gesture Will Do
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 30th Century: Escape (General Audience Edition)
Bookshelf Size: 1027
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: Severed Roots by Nego Huzcotoq
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

The book sounds really interesting and I can relate to Marty’s wish to remain rather obscure. His many friends are no doubt helpful. However, I don’t like to start a series at the end even if it is a stand alone book. Thanks!

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”