Official Review: Beyond Forever's Horizon by D G Roach

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Londera
Favorite Author: Lauren Oliver
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... elirium</a>
Currently Reading: World, Incorporated
Bookshelf Size: 391
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-londera.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 2442

Official Review: Beyond Forever's Horizon by D G Roach

Post by Londera »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Beyond Forever's Horizon" by D G Roach.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

One thing that most people can agree on is that their teenage years were an awkward and cringeworthy time. Puberty, crushes, first love and just general teenage angst can be overwhelming. Looking back on those years you may smile a bit, laugh at something you once thought was the end of the world or just shake your head and wonder what you were thinking. This book made me do all three. This book took me down memory lane into my own adolescence, as it depicted that of the main character. Peter (aka P.T) is an awkward, hormone crazy teen that will make you laugh at all of the predicaments he seems land himself into.

In Beyond Forever’s Horizon by D.G Roach, the author depicts the life of a young boy as he transitions into adulthood. At the cusp of manhood, Peter tries to navigate these uncharted waters with a positive yet comedic attitude, despite how confused he really is. He is a normal kid who crushes on girls, fights with his brother, deals with going to a new school for the first time and who loves to surf with his best friend in a small town in Australia. The book also touches on subjects such as him finding and exploring his sexuality, losing his father suddenly and the subsequent financial and emotional burden his mother went through and of course puberty. When Peter leaves school and lands his dream job of working on an Australian cruise ship the story gets better and more multifaceted.

This book falls under the memoir and the coming of age genre. It is inspired by the real-life experiences of the author. Peter deals with all the trials thrown his way with humor and skepticism, as he really at times is completely clueless. Peter is a typical fifteen-year-old boy trying to understand his raging hormones. The story was quite awkward and cringe-worthy, as you might expect of most coming of age stories. Especially so when the main character loses his virginity for the first time and his inner monologues as he becomes infatuated with every girl he lays eyes on. Surprisingly, this story was filled with humor and was very touching. The first half was awkward, but as the story progressed it managed to convey a lighthearted and occasionally emotional story of a young boy finding his place in the world.

My thoughts: I rate this book a 4 out of 4. If I had judged the book by the first half I would not have loved it so much. The first half of the story is quite awkward and slow at times. If you do not like coming of age stories you will not like this book, as it is solely depicted from the eyes of Peter. Also, some of the language used and the inner ruminations of the main character were quite awkward. However, it is written from the perspective of a fifteen-year-old boy who’s hormones are raging faster than he can think. Also, the depiction of Peter losing his virginity was very detailed and weird to read.

However, I feel as if the author captured the journey of adolescence and being surrounded by so many influences of family and society. I particularly enjoyed the accounts of his life on the cruise line, because I love books written in the perspective of ship crews.I recommend this book to those who love “slice of life” or coming of age stories. It was written beautifully and really captured the essence of what it is to be a teen. Beneath the juvenile and sometimes lewd thoughts of the main character, you will find a touching and thoughtful story.

Beyond Forever's Horizon
View: on Bookshelves

Like Londera's review? Post a comment saying so!
geoffrey ngoima
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-geoffrey-ngoima.html
Latest Review: "The Little Girl Inside Owning My Role in My Own Pain" by Tonya Barbee
Reading Device: B00UB76290

Post by geoffrey ngoima »

Okay, this book will make me do all of the three and more; great review
To posit that the war brings us closer to faith is a sleight of hand that makes fools of us all. "There Are Only Atheists in Fox Holes"~ Michael Carson
Latest Review: "The Little Girl Inside Owning My Role in My Own Pain" by Tonya Barbee
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

This sounds really interesting and funny. I'm not sure it's for me, but I appreciated your review!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Londera

Post by Londera »

Thank you. ?It takes some getting used to,but after the first half its really good.
Currently Reading: Apollo's Raven
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-0719672189.html
Latest Review: "Heartaches" by H.M. Irwing

Post by 0719672189 »

The transition to adulthood i would agree is not an easy process,remembering some of those moments makes me want to do more than laugh.Thanks for the great review,sounds like an interesting book.
Latest Review: "Heartaches" by H.M. Irwing
The Researcher
Currently Reading: Buried Threads
Bookshelf Size: 101
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-the-researcher.html
Latest Review: "Curve Couture" by H M Irwing
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by The Researcher »

Nice review! The plot seems good but I think the book is not for me.
What is the most special thing I did today- I was MYSELF. Happy and in love and unapologetically myself.
Latest Review: "Curve Couture" by H M Irwing
Zupanatural
Currently Reading: The Book of Strange New Things
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zupanatural.html
Latest Review: "That Place of Knowledge" by Philip Alan Shalka

Post by Zupanatural »

Really enjoyed reading your interesting & well-written review, Londera. From the way you describe it, it sounds kind of AdrianMole-esque. Would that be about right? :)
Latest Review: "That Place of Knowledge" by Philip Alan Shalka
Londera

Post by Londera »

It does appear that they are similar in the sense that they are both books focusing on a teen in a diary style format. Though I feel as if P.T does not claim to be as smart as Adrian does.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”