Review by Abayomi2060 -- McDowell by William H. Coles

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Abayomi2060
2018 Reading Goal: 10
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 10
2017 Reading Goal: 15
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 26
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abayomi2060.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Review by Abayomi2060 -- McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by Abayomi2060 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "McDowell" by William H. Coles.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

McDowell, a fictional novel written by William H. Coles follows the life of Hiram McDowell and his three children. William H. Coles is an award-winning author with a career span of over sixteen years. The book is written mostly in third person with few narratives in first person. It has about 307 pages, containing scenes set mostly in New York and Nepal.

The book opens with Hiram leaving his hiking partner for dead on a mountain in Nepal in 1981. Shortly after the death of his second wife, he marries a widower (Carole) with two children (Tasha and Cadence). Ann is from his first wife while Billie and Sophie are from his second. Subsequently, he cheats a colleague (Michael O’Leary) to become president of the International College of Surgeons. Also, he is later appointed on the President’s task force to launch healthcare initiatives for financing the uninsured. Paige Sterling is a reporter assigned by her boss to cover McDowell’s story for a television special on his accomplishments as the president of the International College of Surgeons. She accidentally discovers distressing information about Hiram’s career. Michael O’Leary is out for revenge, will Hiram be able to keep his position and save face in the society?

The book is divided into two parts of 36 pages each. The first part portrays Hiram as an arrogant, pompous, selfish and irresponsible father while the second part portrays him as a changed, slightly religious individual looking for redemption. It seemed the book was professionally edited, as I could not find any errors.

During the first few pages of McDowell, I found it really hard to connect with the main character as I was constantly bored and uninterested. I also noticed that the story had no general sense of time which made me confused at the sequence of events. Although, the author’s writing style allowed for a smooth transition of perspectives, some conversations were just confusing. Also, the excess of characters made it difficult for me to follow the story. Therefore, I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars.

The book portrays love, death, revenge, perseverance, betrayal, etc. Although the book is centralized on Hiram McDowell, it also included subplots about his children which were quite interesting. On the whole, William H. Cole’s McDowell is a fairly good read and I recommend it to those who love fictional books with an element of reality.

McDowell
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes | on Smashwords

Like Abayomi2060's review? Post a comment saying so!

kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
2019 Reading Goal: 95
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 86
Currently Reading: Sunshine at the Academy
Bookshelf Size: 363
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Enemy in the Mirror by Constance D. Dixon

Post by kandscreeley »

It sounds like quite an interesting story. Thanks for the review!
Good books, like good friends, are few and chosen; the more select, the more enjoyable.
-Louisa May Alcott

Abayomi2060
2018 Reading Goal: 10
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 10
2017 Reading Goal: 15
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 26
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abayomi2060.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Abayomi2060 »

kandscreeley wrote:It sounds like quite an interesting story. Thanks for the review!
Yeah, it's quite interesting. Thank you for dropping by.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”