Official Review: The Dancing Spirit by Chaute Akira

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
AliceofX
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 361
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aliceofx.html
Latest Review: The Demon of Decay by Alex C. Gates
Reading Device: B00ICPVSYC

Official Review: The Dancing Spirit by Chaute Akira

Post by AliceofX »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Dancing Spirit" by Chaute Akira.]
Book Cover
1 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Dancing Spirit is the debut novel of Chaute Akira. It tells the story of Steve, a down on his luck alcoholic, and his attempts to fix his life. After choosing to study philosophy instead of pre-law, he is financially cut off by his step-father. His life starts to quickly deteriorate after that. When we first meet him, Steve is about to be kicked out of his apartment in the middle of winter. His step-father still won’t help him and his mother never had the courage to step up for her son. Matthew is a novice pastor who is just beginning his ministry. He’s young, inexperienced and full of doubt about how to do his job. Despite that, he is the one that is sent Steve’s way to help him in his troubled times.

However, that is only half of the story of The Dancing Spirit. The other half takes place in the spirit world where angels and demons fight battles for the souls of mortals. Steve’s alcoholism is caused by Kachina, the dancing spirit, who beguiles him into drinking. Everything in the book’s world from nightmares to bouts of anxiety is directly caused by demons, and only angels can fight them.

The book has some heavy Christian themes. It’s definitely not for the non-religious. At times it felt inspiring, but that’s about all the good that I can say about it. The Dancing Spirit’s biggest weakness came from its many angels and demons that overtook the story after the second half of the book. There are more spirits than humans in the book, but few stuck in my memory. Kachina is the most vivid because she actually has a character. Her feelings and personality flaws are described, so she was easy to remember. The rest, unfortunately, are just names on the page with nothing unique about them.

Also, the author’s obsession with ritual really weighed the book down. The ceremonies and actions of the spirits are described in great detail, which made it feel more like a manual than a fictional story. There’s more devotion to the story’s mythology than to character building. There are numerous fight scenes between the spirits, but they quickly became boring because I felt no connection to them. The book has a complex world, but it’s all told, not shown.

While the human characters are at least more memorable, they hardly have more depth. The story takes place in a really short amount of time, so we barely get to know them. The fact that their decisions are influenced by external entities meant that it was hard to empathize with them. Do they really have a will of their own? Are their decisions really their own?

However, what really made reading The Dancing Spirit a chore were the many very obvious grammar errors. Incorrect spelling, incorrect words, incorrect capitalization, and so on. The mistakes were so numerous that I eventually stopped keeping track of them. They made the book seem very unprofessional.

Due to all those reasons, I can’t in good heart recommend The Dancing Spirit to anyone. I give the book 1 out of 4 stars.

The Dancing Spirit
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like AliceofX's review? Post a comment saying so!
geoffrey ngoima
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-geoffrey-ngoima.html
Latest Review: "The Little Girl Inside Owning My Role in My Own Pain" by Tonya Barbee
Reading Device: B00UB76290

Post by geoffrey ngoima »

It sounds half-baked to me, but there's always room for improvement.
Great review
To posit that the war brings us closer to faith is a sleight of hand that makes fools of us all. "There Are Only Atheists in Fox Holes"~ Michael Carson
Latest Review: "The Little Girl Inside Owning My Role in My Own Pain" by Tonya Barbee
Currently Reading: Apollo's Raven
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-0719672189.html
Latest Review: "Heartaches" by H.M. Irwing

Post by 0719672189 »

I do not think i would enjoy reading this book especially because the author makes the fiction sound like a manual and that won't leave room for imagination.Thanks for your review.
Latest Review: "Heartaches" by H.M. Irwing
Harmony Hills
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 0734">Anne of Green Gables</a>
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-harmony-hills.html
Latest Review: "Alba" by B. E. Okoh

Post by Harmony Hills »

Sounds like two books combined into one, or a pushed idea of incorporating angels. Good job on finishing the book despite of its flaws Akira!
“Fairy tales are more than true: not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten.” ― Neil Gaiman, Coraline
Latest Review: "Alba" by B. E. Okoh
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

It's hard to get into a story when it's told instead of shown. I'm sorry this one wasn't to your liking. I hate having to give a book one star. Thanks for the review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
MrsCatInTheHat
Favorite Book: Cry the Beloved Country
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrscatinthehat.html
Latest Review: Marc Marci by Larry G. Goldsmith
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 0

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

This sounds like a frustrating story to try to read.
Life without a good book is something MrsCatInTheHat cannot imagine.
Doaa Wael
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-doaa-wael.html
Latest Review: "My Trip To Adele" by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer

Post by Doaa Wael »

Fantastic! I was intrigued to check your review when you commented on my post and I am glad I did. I was literally getting images in my head as I read each sentence of your review. You have a great ability to make the reader imagine. I love the theme and idea of the story, I am going to check it out.

Thank you :tiphat:
Imagination Trumps Reality.
Latest Review: "My Trip To Adele" by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”