Official Review: The Surgeon's Wife by William H. Coles

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Akash nk
Currently Reading: Holding Fire
Bookshelf Size: 3

Re: Official Review: The Surgeon's Wife by William H. Coles

Post by Akash nk »

The Surgeon’s Wife by William H Coles delves into the life of elite and respected surgeons at a well-respected hospital in New Orleans. Mike Boudreaux is the chief of surgery and dedicated to his work, often to the detriment of his social life. Mike is put in a difficult position when another prominent surgeon, Clayton Otherson, comes under scrutiny for mistakes during surgery. Mike is conflicted by loyalty to Clayton and his desire to do what is right. He also harbours concerns about Clayton’s speciality of treating obese patients, when Mike feels other treatments and approaches are being ignored. Complications arise when Mike finds himself falling in love with Clayton’s neglected wife, Catherine.

The author, William H Coles, would appear to have a clear knowledge and understanding of the procedures and internal conflicts of a high-end hospital, which makes the story authentic and gives it credibility. The story starts well with fast-paced and tense action, although it loses its impetus somewhat and continues at a more sedate pace. The author examines the issues behind the actions of the main protagonists well, and the characters are solidly developed and believable, in particular the attitudes of some of the surgeons who tend to have a superior and uncompromising view, not least of which is Clayton Otherson. The introduction of the romance with Clayton’s wife was an unexpected twist. The story holds interest, but could benefit from more intrigue and a few twists and turns to keep the reader alert. Otherwise, a pleasant read.
Happy Bunny
Currently Reading: Not Without My Sister
Bookshelf Size: 39

Post by Happy Bunny »

Thanks for your review. This book sounds like a great read. I'm fascinated by the human psyche, and can't wait to get started on this book.
Jeyran Main
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 336
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jeyran-main.html
Latest Review: "Stalking The Shadows" by BJ Edwards

Post by Jeyran Main »

A good book with good charecter development is a foundation for better future books as well. The review implies that the book had some dark sections but I really saw them as thriller added scenes. All together it is a good book.
Latest Review: "Stalking The Shadows" by BJ Edwards
blissfulkhaos
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-blissfulkhaos.html
Latest Review: "Yesterday" by Samyann

Post by blissfulkhaos »

Character driven books are my favorite. You can really feel their emotions through the pages, compared to plot driven books. Can't wait to read this one!
Latest Review: "Yesterday" by Samyann
Spirit Wandering
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... bastian</a>
Currently Reading: Apollo's Raven
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spirit-wandering.html
Latest Review: JOURNEY - Becoming the Dream Walker by T.N. Bui

Post by Spirit Wandering »

Nice review! I appreciate good character development in a novel. Nonetheless, don't think I would like this one because books set in the medical profession generally don't appeal to me. Reading a few pages confirmed this for me. While I won't be taking advantage of it, I appreciate the author offering the book free for other readers who would like to read it.
Interested in books that help one's spirit move beyond the ordinary.
jjr200s84
Currently Reading: Solaris Seethes
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jjr200s84.html
Latest Review: "Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1)" by Janet McNulty

Post by jjr200s84 »

Thank you for your very insightful review! As a recent English lit graduate, I always have my eyes open for books that explore human behavior. Character-driven stories are always a favorite for me because I like to understand the motivations behind decisions that characters make, and character-driven stories feature much more of those important decisions that drive the plot forward in the story.
Latest Review: "Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1)" by Janet McNulty
richarddon
Currently Reading: Strong Heart
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by richarddon »

I really love to read this book The surgeon wife more often because it gives me insight about humanity and also the book is well organized.
Malfoyy Slitherin
Currently Reading: Heads Will Roll
Bookshelf Size: 74
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-malfoyy-slitherin.html
Latest Review: "A Caribbean Tragedy" by Roger Stutter

Post by Malfoyy Slitherin »

A lovely book I must say.. Nice work
Latest Review: "A Caribbean Tragedy" by Roger Stutter
TIGER999
Currently Reading: The Haunting of Winchester Mansion Omnibus
Bookshelf Size: 146

Post by TIGER999 »

Love love love well-developed characters...they drive the story/plot for me & make it all relatable. Love that the plot has a medical element to it too, as well as loyalty & human nature elements like trust. Thanks for an enticing review...will definitely take a look at this one!
Lennycat
Currently Reading: finding nary
Bookshelf Size: 109
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lennycat.html
Latest Review: Saving Nary by Carol DeMent

Post by Lennycat »

Nice review! I liked your description of how the author deeply develops his characters and brings emotions to your reading. I'll have to consider putting it on my reading list. Thanks!
CaitlynLynch
Currently Reading: Conquering Writer's Block and Summoning Inspiration
Bookshelf Size: 3245
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-caitlynlynch.html
Latest Review: The Hand That Feeds You by Amos Cartell
Reading Device: B01AZ7LQ00

Post by CaitlynLynch »

If the author made the effort to have the book professionally edited as you believe, I'm amazed that he didn't spend at least a little money on getting a professional-looking cover made.
meteku4
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-meteku4.html
Latest Review: "Followed my Star" by AR Annahita

Post by meteku4 »

This is just how perspectives can widely be different.
Latest Review: "Followed my Star" by AR Annahita
Tanny136
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tanny136.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by Tanny136 »

I started reading this book a couple of hours ago and I can't agree more about how well the characters are drawn in this novel. The inner turmoil,joys and conflicts revolving around each character's life provides fertile ground for the story to shape up in a way that arouses the reader's interest. Also, you have mentioned about the length of the novel being small, yet the plot has been laid out quite elaborately which I think is true and is reflected in the pace of the novel itself . Even though I have just read only a part of this book, I already feel the immense depth and nuanced personas the author has given to the characters in the book.
Thank you so much for this clear and crisp review, I enjoyed reading it and it makes me want to read the book even more and finish it soon!
truebookaddict
Favorite Book: The Historian
Currently Reading: Children of the Dark
Bookshelf Size: 3838
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-truebookaddict.html
Reading Device: B00TSUGXKE

Post by truebookaddict »

I have read some very good character developed books in the past so this sounds like it might be a book I would enjoy. As someone who has considered bariatric surgery, I found that aspect interesting as well. Thanks for your insight on the book.
“Even if she be not harmed, her heart may fail her in so much and so many horrors; and hereafter she may suffer--both in waking, from her nerves, and in sleep, from her dreams.”
― Bram Stoker, Dracula
KlareAllison
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 238
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-klareallison.html
Latest Review: "Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks" by Morton E. Tavel

Post by KlareAllison »

I am attracted to the storyline of The Surgeon's Wife. The characters of Clayton Otherson, Mike Boudreaux and Catherine apparently drive this natrative, another love triangle? I will definitely read this book by William H. Coles, thanks for making it free for today. I feel really excited to have been able to download this novel so easily from Smashwords. I think the review is nicely done.
Last edited by KlareAllison on 08 Oct 2017, 18:03, edited 3 times in total.
"Sometimes I find myself sitting in one spot for hours, staring at nothing, feeling nothing, and most disturbingly, caring about nothing".

- Mahbod Seraji, Rooftops of Tehran
Latest Review: "Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks" by Morton E. Tavel

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”