Official Review: Say Yes on Saturday by Lawrence Schneider

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Tanaya
Favorite Author: George Orwell
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tanaya.html
Latest Review: Beans...Finding My Way Home by Debi Brown
fav_author_id: 1746

Official Review: Say Yes on Saturday by Lawrence Schneider

Post by Tanaya »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Say Yes on Saturday" by Lawrence Schneider.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Say Yes on Saturday is a historical novel based on a true story by Lawrence Schneider.

After asking his mother why she named him Clarence, our protagonist learns that his grandfather knew that Clarence would be special. Thus, he required a special name. In 1940, Clarence Arnold is five years old, living with his family in a working class neighborhood in Cleveland, Ohio. Eventually, he attends a Catholic grade school where it is discovered that he has a lower than average IQ. At times, he doubts the truth behind his grandfather’s belief that he is special. Readers are invited to witness the captivating events of Clarence’s life, from childhood to his retirement years. We are with him as he buys his first car, falls for a popular girl named Suzanne as a teenager, makes decisions about learning a trade or pursuing higher education, changes jobs, and starts a family. Ultimately, Clarence spends his life chasing after the notion of fulfilling his grandfather’s vision for the kind of person he would be.

While the novel begins in Ohio, there are changes in location along Clarence’s life journey, including Kansas, Alabama, and Florida. Beginning in 1940, the story ends in the 2000s. It is told in the first person, with the inclusion of some of Clarence’s thoughts placed in italics in addition to small, black and white illustrations to help readers visualize objects mentioned in the tale. The historical backdrop is woven into the plot in satisfying ways. Clarence is young when World War II begins. His father shows him “how to collect aluminum foil liners from discarded cigarette and gum packs as a way to help with the war.” Because a large number of men joined the military during this time, women, like his mother, enter the workforce. The space race between the Soviet Union and the United States is also a part of the narrative.

Clarence is an easily likable character. Though he is deemed dyslexic and even has trouble passing the third grade, he is an overcomer. He works hard, proves others wrong, and takes his mother's encouraging wisdom to heart by not giving up. He thrives on adventure, takes risks, and is highly motivated. There are many endearing moments, such as when he is in grade school and is afraid to ask what he is supposed to do with a blank sheet of paper and crayons. One of my favorite moments is the joy he has from bonding with his father over fishing. When he is growing up, his best friend is a boy named Tim. But as they follow different paths, Clarence continues to make new friends during different phases of his life. Clarence has many relationships and experiences that continually shape him and contribute to defining what his calling in life will be.

There was certainly a lot to like about this novel. Initially, I enjoyed the pace. His grade school years get a lot of attention in an appropriate fashion. Junior high was brushed over, but then things were more thorough again when it came to figuring out what his education and career goals would be in high school, which was very realistically portrayed. He weighs his options, changes his mind, and tries new things throughout his life. Basically, there were times when the plot was very thorough and the steady pace allowed for the right amount of detail so that the reader was fully immersed in Clarence’s world. At other times, things were rushed in a way that didn’t make sense. This was particularly true for the love plot. There were some underdeveloped and underutilized characters that it would have been nice to see more of and get to know better.

I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. If I had to describe this book in one word, I would use “sweet.” However, I have to take a star off because of the inconsistent pace and characters who weren’t used or featured enough to achieve the novel’s greatest potential. I would recommend this book to those who enjoy biographical fiction.

Say Yes on Saturday
View: on Bookshelves

Like Tanaya's review? Post a comment saying so!
geoffrey ngoima
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-geoffrey-ngoima.html
Latest Review: "The Little Girl Inside Owning My Role in My Own Pain" by Tonya Barbee
Reading Device: B00UB76290

Post by geoffrey ngoima »

I'd like to read this one, I still don't why it has that title but I guess I'll find out, thanks for the review.
To posit that the war brings us closer to faith is a sleight of hand that makes fools of us all. "There Are Only Atheists in Fox Holes"~ Michael Carson
Latest Review: "The Little Girl Inside Owning My Role in My Own Pain" by Tonya Barbee
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Sounds like an interesting enough book. Kind of a coming of age novel. Thanks for the review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
MrsCatInTheHat
Favorite Book: Cry the Beloved Country
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrscatinthehat.html
Latest Review: Marc Marci by Larry G. Goldsmith
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 0

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

I love that Clarence rose to his grandfather's expectations instead of those of people who determined he would do less.
Life without a good book is something MrsCatInTheHat cannot imagine.
MarisaRose
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 665">Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban</a>
Currently Reading: The Family Upstairs
Bookshelf Size: 435
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marisarose.html
Latest Review: The Magic Shard by eelonqa K harris
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by MarisaRose »

This one doesn't really appeal to me too much, but I'm glad you found a lot of positive aspects in this novel. I think the lack of character involvement throughout the story would be bothersome for me. Thanks for the insight about this one.
JessicaElaine91
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessicaelaine91.html
Latest Review: "Marrying a Playboy Billionaire" by H M Irwing

Post by JessicaElaine91 »

This seems really interesting. The pace that your speaking of I think would be a bother to me too. Guess I'll find out. I really like your review of it. You pinpoint the positives of the book and the minor mistakes that were made I believe you cover up. It seems you really enjoyed the book by the sounds of the review! ?
Latest Review: "Marrying a Playboy Billionaire" by H M Irwing
Quinto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 704
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-quinto.html
Latest Review: The Longfellah's Son: An Almost True Irish Story by Michael Cassidy

Post by Quinto »

The story is encouraging with a warm feel. Clarence is positive inspite of his fears. The encouragement from the mum was a real help. Great review
RegularGuy3
Currently Reading: All the Light We Cannot See
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-regularguy3.html
Latest Review: Farmer Beau's Farm by Kathleen Geiger

Post by RegularGuy3 »

I like stories that can really connect you to the place. I wonder how accurate this one is in moving to the various locations. Might give it a try to find out. Thanks for the review.
Alicnim
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alicnim.html
Latest Review: "Ever After" by H M Irwing

Post by Alicnim »

This book reminds me of my younger self. I may have been dyslexic at the time. I might just have a look.
Latest Review: "Ever After" by H M Irwing
Mary Garrison
Currently Reading: The Hiding Place
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mary-garrison.html
Latest Review: Doctoroo & the Case of the Hacking Hippo by Dr. Rachel B. Wellner

Post by Mary Garrison »

Sounds like a great book with a great main character, I think I'm going to enjoy watching him grow up when I read this story.
KeriCraven
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kericraven.html
Latest Review: "Life Before" by K.L. Romo

Post by KeriCraven »

This sounds like a coming of age, very interesting story. Thank you for your review.
Latest Review: "Life Before" by K.L. Romo
Ashley Simon
Currently Reading: Zero K
Bookshelf Size: 141
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashley-simon.html
Latest Review: "Bible Answers" by Roseline Gaston Rabouin

Post by Ashley Simon »

I'm glad you found Clarence a likeable character. It's too bad that the book had pacing and character development issues. Thanks for the review.
Latest Review: "Bible Answers" by Roseline Gaston Rabouin
Sarah Immanuel
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 160819">My Trip To Adele</a>
Currently Reading: The House of Trysts
Bookshelf Size: 28

Post by Sarah Immanuel »

Thanks for the review. The old people usually see things others can not. Clarence's story is indeed sweet.
The Researcher
Currently Reading: Buried Threads
Bookshelf Size: 101
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-the-researcher.html
Latest Review: "Curve Couture" by H M Irwing
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by The Researcher »

Well you made a sweet story sweeter by such a nice review. Definitely going to read it.
What is the most special thing I did today- I was MYSELF. Happy and in love and unapologetically myself.
Latest Review: "Curve Couture" by H M Irwing

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”