Official Review: Heist along the rails by Jan cerney

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Rebecca Henderson
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rebecca-henderson.html
Latest Review: "From Drift to SHIFT" by Jody B. Miller

Official Review: Heist along the rails by Jan cerney

Post by Rebecca Henderson »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Heist along the rails" by Jan cerney.]
Book Cover
1 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Sisters Dora and Josie have the chance of a lifetime: they will travel to as many of the 50 states as possible in order to collect quilt patterns that represent each state. As former retirees, their days will soon be filled with adventure, excitement, mystery, and unbeknownst to them, crime! These ladies will meet many characters along the way, all the while seeing many of the wonderful sights that characterize this country. Will Dora and Josie be able to successfully collect a quilt pattern from each state, and more importantly, who will they meet along the way?

Heist Along the Rails is the first book in Jan Cerney’s Winslow Quilting Mysteries. Dora and Josie set out on a pattern-finding journey, but end up returning home with much more than simple quilt patterns. Dora and Josie will meet several characters that soon become familiar faces, but beneath this fun trip lies a mystery. Who has been robbing the art galleries near where the sisters visit, and do said thieves know about Dora and Josie’s mission?

Jan Cerney presents an intriguing storyline, with events and surprises along the way to keep readers interested. The plot is certainly believable, but upon closer inspection, the story suffers. Beyond Dora and Josie, characterization comes in quick, cliché brushstrokes with little in the way of originality. Dora and Josie give readers information about their past by speaking about it to one another, which is at times believable and most other times feels forced. The dialogue is too formal and stilted. There were numerous errors in terms of punctuation and at one point, the quilters are referred to as “quitters,” which is hardly a fitting description.

Given the large amount of errors and the lack of memorable characters, I rate this book 1 out of 4 stars. Quotation marks were missing in some cases, which led to confusion when reading. I enjoyed traveling along with Josie and Dora, but I will not remember this book in a week’s time, or rather, I will remember it only to caution others against reading it. I’m sure, given time and a bit of editing support, the author could enliven this tome to better impact audiences and excite them enough to continue reading. At this point, however, I would not read the second book in the Winslow Quilting Mysteries.

All the same, I invite you to check out Heist Along the Rails by Jan Cerney, and decide for yourself what you think. I believe mysteries are firstly charged with hooking their audience and not letting go until the final page—which this book failed to do—but perhaps other readers will see this book in a different light. Cerney certainly creates a wealth of tension and intrigue in this light-hearted and romantic mystery. Readers of all ages will enjoy reading this book, and for those especially knowledgeable about historical sites, Cerney’s work will take you on a virtual tour of the best of these 50 states’ history-laden landmarks. Check out Heist Along the Rails and join the conversation with your opinion!

Heist along the rails
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Rebecca Henderson's review? Post a comment saying so!
Latest Review: "From Drift to SHIFT" by Jody B. Miller
Mercelle
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 10262">The Wisdom and Peace of the Teachings of the Tao Te Ching</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercelle.html
Latest Review: The Future of Finance and Money by K. Braeden Anderson

Post by Mercelle »

I love a good adventure story. Too bad this one has many errors.
"The minimum requirement for a dream is a safe place to lay your head."
~OluTimehin Adegbeye
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Well, I appreciate your review, but I doubt I will read it. Rated so lowly, I doubt I could find something to redeem it if you didn't. Thanks, though.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

A book about quilts makes me remember the heartwarming book How to Make an American Quilt. Quilts are supposed to bring comfort.

It seems this book doesn't uphold the reputation of quilts.
Abayomi2060
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abayomi2060.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Abayomi2060 »

The idea sounds interesting but I don't think I would enjoy such a book, with the errors and all.
geoffrey ngoima
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-geoffrey-ngoima.html
Latest Review: "The Little Girl Inside Owning My Role in My Own Pain" by Tonya Barbee
Reading Device: B00UB76290

Post by geoffrey ngoima »

It seems like a honest review,
even from the book cover and the summary it doesn't seem encouraging, but I will take you up in your offer and sample it
To posit that the war brings us closer to faith is a sleight of hand that makes fools of us all. "There Are Only Atheists in Fox Holes"~ Michael Carson
Latest Review: "The Little Girl Inside Owning My Role in My Own Pain" by Tonya Barbee
MrsCatInTheHat
Favorite Book: Cry the Beloved Country
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrscatinthehat.html
Latest Review: Marc Marci by Larry G. Goldsmith
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 0

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

I love the concept of sisters going on a journey like this together. It's too bad that it didn't work this time.
Life without a good book is something MrsCatInTheHat cannot imagine.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”