Forum Navigation: Forum Index » Books and Reading » Reviews and Discussions about Specific Books and Series » Other Fiction Forum

Want FREE books and FREE Amazon gift cards?

Each day we announce via email a book that is either FREE or on a temporary sale at a great discount price. These are not your average free books. These are incredible insider deals on well-rated books. OnlineBookClub.org is where tomorrow's bestsellers are born. We also give away over $1,000 per month of free Amazon gift cards in free daily giveaways, exclusively to those signed up to these announcements! Hurry, sign up free now:

Sorry, this proves you are human.

Official Review: Righteous Bloodshed

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.

Official Review: Righteous Bloodshed

Post Number:#1 by kandscreeley
» 11 Sep 2017, 09:45

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Righteous Bloodshed" by Timothy A. Van Sickel.]

Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Review by kandscreeley
Share This Review

A quick note before starting the review: While the summary of the book stated that I would be reading the first book in the series, Righteous Gathering, the copy that I received was book 2, Righteous Bloodshed. Thus, the following review is for the book I actually received Righteous Bloodshed.

An EMP has struck the United States. Cars won't run. Cell phones don't work. There is no electricity, and planes are dropping out of the sky. Fortunately, Mark Mays has expected something like this to happen. He is ready, but the rest of the world is not. Chaos abounds; food quickly runs out, and people are hungry. Hungry masses make their way from the city to attack farms in the country, butchering cows and pigs along the way for food. Mark Mays works with locals in his town to form a plan to help the hungry mobs, but will it be enough? Will they listen to reason? Will their survival instinct overrun common sense? How will the world cope with no hope of help to come?

Righteous Bloodshed by Timothy A. Van Sickel is a science fiction/Christian fiction novel of about 300 pages. It is book 2 in the Righteous Survival EMP Saga. Mr. Van Sickel's desire in writing this book is to present how a Christian might possibly survive in a post-apocalyptic world.

When reading a book in a series, I'm always worried that I'll jump into the middle of the story and be lost. As this is book two, having not read book one, I was leery; however, I tried to have an open mind. While there were scenes in which I could tell the story had been revealed in an earlier novel, the book was written in such a way as to still be enjoyable. I really didn't feel like I had missed out on anything by not reading the books in order. At the same time, after reading this one, it made me want to go back and read the first one. That's exactly the way it should be, in my mind.

The characters are realistic and thought-provoking. I'm not sure any of us know what we would do in this kind of situation. How would I react? The author includes a variety of characters that react in many different ways. They face moral dilemmas that are heart-breaking.

Being a book in the post-apocalyptic genre, it's pretty fast paced. The action is steady throughout which makes the reader want to continue the book. There is never a dull moment; so, if you decide to read the book, be prepared to stay up late so as to reach the end.

The book is told from a combination of view points. It's mostly told in the third voice, except when the action involves Mark Mays. In the sections focusing on Mark, he tells the story from the first person. This was somewhat unique, as most writers stick to only one point of view. However, I had no trouble following along, and I appreciated the uniqueness.

The one drawback of this book was the grammatical errors. While not overly abundant, they were enough to be distracting. Mostly there are word substitutions (where is consistently used for were) or missing words. Nevertheless, I still found the story fun and engaging.

Overall, I rate Righteous Bloodshed a 3 out of 4 stars due to the grammar issues throughout. A word of warning to potential readers: though this is a Christian fiction, a few (emphasis on few) sections are graphically violent. These really are few and far between, but I felt I should point it out. I would recommend this to all those who enjoy post-apocalyptic novels and are at least open to Christianity.

Righteous Bloodshed
View: on Bookshelves

Like kandscreeley's review? Post a comment saying so!
kandscreeley's Latest Review: "The Other side:" by Seth Ramey
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader

Currently Reading: Strong Heart
Bookshelf Size: 100 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 100 Books
Goal Completion: 82%

Did you know?

Once you join the forums and log in you will get to enjoy a very ad-reduced experience. It's easy and completely free!

Re: Official Review: Righteous Gathering

Post Number:#2 by ritah
» 13 Sep 2017, 05:31

While I'm a skeptic of all religions, I like that the author was able to bring 2 - usually - conflicting worlds together: Science and religion(Christianity) to tell what sounds like a captivating story. Even I'm tempted to read this one. Great review.
Last edited by ritah on 13 Sep 2017, 05:36, edited 1 time in total.
ritah

Favorite Book: The Darziods' Stone
Currently Reading: Sylvio: Past and Present
Bookshelf Size: 84 books

View Reviewer Page
Goal Completion: 11%

Post Number:#3 by geoffrey ngoima
» 13 Sep 2017, 05:35

I've never read a Christian post-apocalyptic/apocalyptic novel, I'll be sure to pick this one.
Great review
Taste all the love and sorrow, but don't drink the wine.~ "Reign"
geoffrey ngoima's Latest Review: "Farmer Beau's Farm" by Kathleen Geiger
geoffrey ngoima

Currently Reading: God Versus The Idea of God
Bookshelf Size: 72 books

View Reviewer Page
Reading Device:
2017 Reading Goal: 50 Books
Goal Completion: 22%

Post Number:#4 by MarisaRose
» 13 Sep 2017, 05:52

Glad the fact that this was the second book instead of the advertised first in the series didn't hinder your enjoyment too much. I think this is definitely a unique blend of genres, but doesn't seem like it's something I'd be interested in. Thanks for the insight!
"No two persons ever read the same book." -Edmund Wilson
MarisaRose

Favorite Book: Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
Currently Reading: The Western Star
Bookshelf Size: 168 books

View Reviewer Page
Reading Device: Kindle Paperwhite
2017 Reading Goal: 25 Books
Goal Completion: 316%

Post Number:#5 by kandscreeley
» 13 Sep 2017, 07:59

ritah wrote:While I'm a skeptic of all religions, I like that the author was able to bring 2 - usually - conflicting worlds together: Science and religion(Christianity) to tell what sounds like a captivating story. Even I'm tempted to read this one. Great review.

There's definitely a strong Christian theme in this one, but I don't think it was offensive. Thanks for commenting!

-- 13 Sep 2017, 07:59 --

geoffrey ngoima wrote:I've never read a Christian post-apocalyptic/apocalyptic novel, I'll be sure to pick this one.
Great review

I've read one before. Terri Blackstock has a apocalyptic Christian novel about an EMP. I found that they are both good. This author puts his own spin on things. It's an interesting situation to think about that's for sure.

-- 13 Sep 2017, 08:00 --

MarisaRose wrote:Glad the fact that this was the second book instead of the advertised first in the series didn't hinder your enjoyment too much. I think this is definitely a unique blend of genres, but doesn't seem like it's something I'd be interested in. Thanks for the insight!

Thanks Marisa. I know it's not for everyone. When I realized it was the second, I was a little worried. However, it all worked out.
“There is no friend as loyal as a book.”
― Ernest Hemingway
kandscreeley

View Reviewer Page

Post Number:#6 by Yolimari
» 13 Sep 2017, 18:41

I have never read a book in which the point of view changes, which indeed makes this book unique. Must be interesting. I am intrigued by the whole post-apocalypse theme. Reminds me of The Walking Dead, which makes me question what would I do in a situation like that.

Thanks for the excellent review!
"What matters in life is not what happens to you but what you remember and how you remember it."

-Gabriel García Márquez
Yolimari

Currently Reading: The Handmaid's Tale
Bookshelf Size: 41 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 0 Books
Goal Completion: 0%

Post Number:#7 by Miriam Molina
» 13 Sep 2017, 19:04

I am totally curious about this book.

Thanks for another engrossing review, Kandscreely!
Miriam Molina

Currently Reading: A Stained White Radiance
Bookshelf Size: 439 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 36 Books
Goal Completion: 105%

Post Number:#8 by kandscreeley
» 13 Sep 2017, 19:27

Thanks yolimari and Miriam! It was interesting to think about how I would react in this situation.
― Ernest Hemingway
kandscreeley

View Reviewer Page

Post Number:#9 by KlareAllison
» 13 Sep 2017, 21:15

I am interested in Christian fiction and books generally, so I think Righteous Bloodshed by Timothy A. Van Sickel will make it to my shelf. I equally think this review is thorough.
"Sometimes I find myself sitting in one spot for hours, staring at nothing, feeling nothing, and most disturbingly, caring about nothing".

- Mahbod Seraji, Rooftops of Tehran
KlareAllison

Currently Reading: Keys to Tetouan
Bookshelf Size: 85 books

View Reviewer Page
Goal Completion: 4%

Post Number:#10 by geoffrey ngoima
» 14 Sep 2017, 03:53

"I've read one before. Terri Blackstock has a apocalyptic Christian novel about an EMP. I found that they are both good. This author puts his own spin on things. It's an interesting situation to think about that's for sure."
____
I'll see about this one too.
Taste all the love and sorrow, but don't drink the wine.~ "Reign"
geoffrey ngoima's Latest Review: "Farmer Beau's Farm" by Kathleen Geiger
geoffrey ngoima

Currently Reading: God Versus The Idea of God
Bookshelf Size: 72 books

View Reviewer Page
Reading Device:
Goal Completion: 22%

Post Number:#11 by kandscreeley
» 14 Sep 2017, 07:22

Geoffrey- you should. It's also very good.
― Ernest Hemingway
kandscreeley

View Reviewer Page