Official Review: Call Me Pomeroy by James Hanna

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Yoli García
Currently Reading: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
Bookshelf Size: 210
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yoli-garc-a.html
Latest Review: A taste of Cuba by Birgitte Røddik

Re: Official Review: Call Me Pomeroy by James Hanna

Post by Yoli García »

Sounds like a fun book for readers who do not take everything seriously. I can have a dark sense of humor, sometimes. I will consider it. Thanks for the review.
"What matters in life is not what happens to you but what you remember and how you remember it."

-Gabriel García Márquez
peter-
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by peter- »

His sense of humour really makes me to want to read this over and over again.
aajumbo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aajumbo.html
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon

Post by aajumbo »

Call me pomeroy seems to be an interesting story since I have sampled some of the pages pomeroy is a sartical person who has been in and out of the jail many times I give it a thumbs up
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon
wmarik

Post by wmarik »

The story line is not immediately my cup of tea and add to that the crude language, it certainly isn't something I am eager to grab and read. That said, there was enough intrigue woven through there that it might appeal to me once in awhile and I am definitely not writing it off as a never-read.
Kat Kennedy
Currently Reading: Superhighway
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kat-kennedy.html
Latest Review: "All About Water" by Greg Chick, Marta Zarrella

Post by Kat Kennedy »

This book is a downright funny satire! Good review.
Latest Review: "All About Water" by Greg Chick, Marta Zarrella
EsterJDAgudo
Bookshelf Size: 94

Post by EsterJDAgudo »

That's a really great review.

To be honest, Call Me Pomeroy is not my typical genre of choice, if i could even categorize it to the common genres I'm familiar with that is. As I read the sample though, I could definitely say that I did appreciate the unique narrative and it did make me smile in some of the crazy moments. Gave me a very new perspective about the one percent. haha :lol2: I highly doubt how my reactions would be though if I am to meet an actual narcissist sexist brute of a man.

The book may not be my cup of tea, but maybe, if I'm in the mood to dip out of my comfort zone I could place this in my want to read bookshelf. :techie-studyingbrown:
MsDree
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 268
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msdree.html
Latest Review: Marrying a Playboy Billionaire by H M Irwing
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by MsDree »

Interesting! The story line is great, and thank you for your review. But I'm not a fan of satire so i'll pass.
"A book, too, can be a star, a living fire to lighten the darkness, leading out into the expanding universe." — Madeline L'Engle
Heather 1960
Currently Reading: Final Notice
Bookshelf Size: 15

Post by Heather 1960 »

The review leaves me a little wary about reading the book as the main character sounds like a person I wouldn't want to know. However the reference to his sexuality and his interest in women along with his nefarious and dubious life style comes across and will interest a lot of readers looking for a light hearted and totally great escape from the normality of life. I found this review enlightening and well thought out.
Fati-bola
Currently Reading: Rogue Captain
Bookshelf Size: 329
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fati-bola.html
Latest Review: Murder in Memory by Mike Thorne
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Fati-bola »

I have read this book before but this review opened my eyes to something I missed, that is, the supposedly "wanting a bit of him" by Jessica, Pomeroy's parole officer. I want to have a second read. This is a great review. Kudos to the reviewer.
bonniebo40

Post by bonniebo40 »

Having read the sample pages and several long, detailed reviews, I have to come to the conclusion, I would not enjoy this book. The topic is interesting yet not engaging to me. I think I know to many people that fit the type of the protagonist, and that predisposes me to be antagonistic towards him. From the looks of the sales, though, it appears to be a fairly popular book. On to the next one! :)
BookishCreature
Currently Reading: Travels with Vamper
Bookshelf Size: 247
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookishcreature.html
Latest Review: The Library of Secrets: The Giant Mistake by Zoe Penn

Post by BookishCreature »

I agree that this book definitely isn't for everyone, but for those who don't mind some crude humor, it looks really fun. :) Great review!
Joy2thenations
Currently Reading: A Ton of Gold
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joy2thenations.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by Joy2thenations »

I really wish I could bring myself to read this book, but as you cited, the character Pomeroy is very crude. I just couldn’t get through the first few pages of the sample. Thanks for your review.
CaitlinGonya
Currently Reading: Heart of Iron
Bookshelf Size: 76
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-caitlingonya.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery by R.F. Kristi

Post by CaitlinGonya »

I'll add this to my TBR pile for a rainy day. Graphic language doesn't bother me either. Sometimes it actually can make things funnier. Great review!!
Paul78
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 38572">Who Told You That You Were Naked?</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paul78.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Paul78 »

There is alot of satire in this book. It is critical to the powers that be that vilify small crimes and glorify the big ones. I would agree that Pomeroy uses very strong language. Though he has candidly warned his audience over the same. His presence in jail is a true testimony of the sick modern justice system . I may not be into such strong language, but who knows? I may as well clear the sample.
An investment in knowledge pays the best interest.
Benjamin Franklin
lavellan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lavellan.html
Latest Review: encoded by Richard Nedbal

Post by lavellan »

Thanks for your review! The book sounds very interesting. I like that the book handles its more crude and potentially offensive elements in a way that is still enjoyable.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”