Official Review: Call Me Pomeroy by James Hanna

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kourtney Bradley
Favorite Book: Bridges of Madison County
Currently Reading: Layla
Bookshelf Size: 412
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kourtney-bradley.html
Latest Review: Dante's Demons by K.L. Barstow
Reading Device: 1400697484

Official Review: Call Me Pomeroy by James Hanna

Post by Kourtney Bradley »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Call Me Pomeroy" by James Hanna.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Call Me Pomeroy is a modern-day comedic fiction story written by James Hanna and published in 2015. Featuring a street musician who is currently out of jail and on parole, Edward, aka Pomeroy, as he refers to himself, is a one-of-a-kind type of man. From living on the streets, to escaping from the police, Pomeroy is as entertaining as one could imagine.

With his crude sense of humor and impressive literary intellect, Pomeroy is a character who will continue to surprise you. I started reading the story knowing that it was not the best choice for everyone, as the crude and inappropriate situations and language is enough to scare away some readers. The story is told in Pomeroy’s perspective, but while referring to himself in third person, which I thought made him seem even that much more comical. It's easy to say that Pomeroy is an egotistical and sexist character, but I still found it hard not to like him.

I couldn’t help but think Pomeroy was delusional, at best, throughout the novel. Although his song, “Ants in my Pants” is catchy and comical, I couldn’t believe he was gathering an audience like he thought. Also, his intense satisfaction in knowing that every woman who saw him wanted to immediately jump his bones was more comical than I imagined the story to be, especially with him appearing to be a brute man.

Throughout his journeys, Pomeroy bounces around several countries in order to lay low from the police while also attempting to land a record deal for his musical abilities. After being thrown in jail numerous times for assault on police officers, Pomeroy always turns to his parole officer, Jessica, for help in his release. Convinced that Jessica is dying for a piece of him, Pomeroy has a soft spot for her and hopes to make her his manager.

I was pleasantly surprised at how well the editing for the story was done, especially given that the main character uses slang dialogue frequently. I was also pleased to see that the story ending strong, leaving me wondering just what happens with ole’ Pomeroy. As the author suggested with the synopsis, Call Me Pomeroy is certainly not the best choice for everyone, as the personality of the main character is especially crude and sexualized, containing language that is not suitable for all readers. However, I’m happy to say that I thoroughly enjoyed the story, and experienced numerous laugh-out-loud moments. I rate Call Me Pomeroy 4 out of 4 stars and would gladly read the story again, as well as recommend it to other readers who enjoy a humorous story that contains a different take on the “new world” philosophy that is expressed within the story.

Call Me Pomeroy
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like klbradley's review? Post a comment saying so!
Whenever you read a good book, somewhere in the world a door opens to allow in more light. :techie-studyingbrown:
–Vera Nazarian
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Nice review. I'm glad you enjoyed this one. I just can't help but think that I wouldn't. That's why there are so many different types of books out there though. Thanks!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Kourtney Bradley

Thank you for checking it out!
Whenever you read a good book, somewhere in the world a door opens to allow in more light. :techie-studyingbrown:
–Vera Nazarian
MrsCatInTheHat
Favorite Book: Cry the Beloved Country
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrscatinthehat.html
Latest Review: Marc Marci by Larry G. Goldsmith
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 0

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

Just reading the review made me laugh! I haven't read anything comedic in a while so I might add this one to my ever-growing "want to read" list!
Life without a good book is something MrsCatInTheHat cannot imagine.
Kourtney Bradley

I hope you do! As long as you won't mind the graphic language, I think it will be a hit!
–Vera Nazarian
Mercelle
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 10262">The Wisdom and Peace of the Teachings of the Tao Te Ching</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercelle.html
Latest Review: The Future of Finance and Money by K. Braeden Anderson

Post by Mercelle »

Thank you for your review. Sounds like something to keep you entertained.
"The minimum requirement for a dream is a safe place to lay your head."
~OluTimehin Adegbeye
Kourtney Bradley

Thank you for checking it out!
–Vera Nazarian
geoffrey ngoima
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-geoffrey-ngoima.html
Latest Review: "The Little Girl Inside Owning My Role in My Own Pain" by Tonya Barbee
Reading Device: B00UB76290

Post by geoffrey ngoima »

I think I'd like this Pomerang too.
Great review.
To posit that the war brings us closer to faith is a sleight of hand that makes fools of us all. "There Are Only Atheists in Fox Holes"~ Michael Carson
Latest Review: "The Little Girl Inside Owning My Role in My Own Pain" by Tonya Barbee
Kourtney Bradley

Thanks!
–Vera Nazarian
KlareAllison
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 238
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-klareallison.html
Latest Review: "Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks" by Morton E. Tavel

Post by KlareAllison »

Yes and rightly so, this book is not for everyone, atleast, not for me. From the review, the pointer to "crude and inappropriate situations and language" in this novel is enough discouragement.
"Sometimes I find myself sitting in one spot for hours, staring at nothing, feeling nothing, and most disturbingly, caring about nothing".

- Mahbod Seraji, Rooftops of Tehran
Latest Review: "Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks" by Morton E. Tavel
Elle Howard
Currently Reading: If life stinks get your head outta your buts
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elle-howard.html
Latest Review: And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White
Reading Device: 1400698987

Post by Elle Howard »

Thanks for writing such a great review. The book cover catches my attention and makes me want to read what is inside. Your review confirms this will be a great read. I look forward to reading this book very soon.
Any book that helps a child to form a habit of reading, to make reading one of his deep and continuing needs, is good for him.
–Maya Angelou
charlesjr2
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charlesjr2.html
Latest Review: "Escape" by Belle Ami

Post by charlesjr2 »

Sweet review. This book looks like something to sit back and enjoy over a drink and have a good laugh.
Thanks for the review.
Haven't checked out my review yet? Check it out and tell me what you think.
Latest Review: "Escape" by Belle Ami
Kourtney Bradley

Thanks! I'll check it out!
–Vera Nazarian
kislany
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 527
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kislany.html
Latest Review: Golden Skies by Juan Zapata

Post by kislany »

A light satire with many laugh-out-loud moments. I think I'll keep this for when I want a light read, something that doesn't require quite all my brain cells to be fully engaged. Great review, btw.
GCamer
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 484
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gcamer.html
Latest Review: Finding A Job in Tough Times by Dr. Tim Johnson

Post by GCamer »

Plot sounds intriguing. Pomeroy's character seems unlikeable but with your review, the book became very interesting. Thanks for the great review.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”