Official Review: Anna's Journey by Gerald Miller

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
IsabelMay
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3761
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-isabelmay.html
Latest Review: "Anna's Journey" by Gerald Miller

Official Review: Anna's Journey by Gerald Miller

Post by IsabelMay »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Anna's Journey" by Gerald Miller.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Anna's Journey is a reminder of what life should be. People have always been obsessed by greed and envy, it seems as if generosity, compassion and amity are just empty words. This book is a refreshing read, full of positivity and love which will restore your faith in humanity.

Anna is a lively eighty-four-year-old lady who has lived through a lot. The story follows her friendship with Robert, a ten-year-old boy who helps her around the house to earn some pocket money. Her compassion for others makes her determined to help him when his family problems culminate in a horrendous misfortune and he is left on his own. Even though her chances of getting legal custody are slim to none, she is far from giving up when the boy needs her the most. She strikes a friendship with an attorney, Jack Porter, who is perhaps the only one willing to study the case together with his love interest. The lives of these four incredible characters intertwine in more ways than one. When time takes its toll on Anna and her health worsens, they know they have to stick together to weather the storm.

As soon as I opened the book, I was pleasantly surprised by the excellent formatting as it's something that plays a huge role in being able to enjoy eBooks. First line indents, font choice and its size as well as the spacing make it easy to read the book on any device without straining your eyes. From the moment I started reading, I was hooked. The book is well written, without any noticeable grammar mistakes. I like how the author pays attention to detail, but doesn’t overdo it. Characters are relatable and are faced with life problems we have at least heard about if not experienced them.

I can’t say it's realistic because almost everything is resolved without too much hassle. Getting legal custody isn’t that easy in real life, it isn’t something that can be done in a few days either. Another aspect is Ann’s energy. I can hardly think that such an old lady can do all the cooking and cleaning by herself all day long. She even drives a car. Although it sounds nice, her reflexes are probably far from good at such age. Robert also seems a bit too mature for his age. All children are different, so perhaps some like him are forced to grow up quickly because of their family problems. I don’t mind that the book is far-fetched, so this is more an observation than something negative. When her health issues start, other characters jump in to help with her recovery as well as look after the boy. The best part of the story starts right there, where we can see how much we all need support and love from others.

The story is often dragged out, about a hundred and fifty pages could’ve been removed from the book without it losing value. This isn’t a story where a lot of things happen, so I had a feeling that some parts were only fillers. Moreover, there is a good amount of repetition. For instance, Ann explained the situation with the boy to a couple of different people, providing a detailed explanation every time. Even though the readers are already familiar with it, reading that explanation for the first time is acceptable. But reading it over and over again is pointless. Instead of repeating the whole dialogue, the author could have simply described it in one sentence.

Even though I absolutely love Ann, she is the typical ‘’Mary Sue’’ (a seemingly perfect fictional character). No matter how hard I tried, I couldn't find any flaws. Everything she does is impeccable. I don’t believe there is someone who never makes any mistakes so after a while it got tiresome and unconvincing. Yes, the book is lighthearted and thoughtful, but it could’ve been that even without flawless characters. Robert and some of the characters that appear only once, such as a policeman and a car sales representative, are just the same. If I put that aside, another remark is the predictability. Before reading the book, I already knew what was going to happen and how it would end. It is something to be expected regarding this genre, so it doesn’t bother me as much, but I thought it would be good to point it out.

I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. It is a well-written and heartwarming story. I would recommend it to anyone who would like to read a slow-paced story without too many surprises along the way. Although it is not realistic, it gives us hope. It will motivate you to be kind, generous and appreciate life more. If more people were like Anna, the world would be a better place.

Anna's Journey
View: on Bookshelves

Like IsabelMay's review? Post a comment saying so!
Latest Review: "Anna's Journey" by Gerald Miller
Nelson John
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Nelson John »

I absolutely love your review Isabel, concise, gracious, tempered and endearing.
Kat Berg
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 5">Raven's Peak</a>
Currently Reading: James Baldwin
Bookshelf Size: 223
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kat-berg.html
Latest Review: Why Am I Here by Melvin Bell
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Kat Berg »

IsabelMay, I went through a stage (as a teenager) when I ate up these seemingly perfect stories as fast as I could get them (they are especially common in the Christian genre writing) and don't love them as much these days. But every once in a while I feel a little nostalgic and want to read another one. I will put this on the back burner until that nostalgic impulse once again returns :)
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

I selected to review this book some months back; I wasn't able to read it though as the download didn't work out. It is indeed a heartwarming story (if a bit unrealistic) that can inspire kindness among us all.

Thanks for the honesty, IsabelMay.
Mercelle
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 10262">The Wisdom and Peace of the Teachings of the Tao Te Ching</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercelle.html
Latest Review: The Future of Finance and Money by K. Braeden Anderson

Post by Mercelle »

Sounds like a story that could help one reevaluate their own lives. Thank you for a job well done.
"The minimum requirement for a dream is a safe place to lay your head."
~OluTimehin Adegbeye

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”