Official Review: Echoes from the Void by A.O. Nathan

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Reuben 92
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =6703">The Count of Monte Cristo</a>
Bookshelf Size: 827
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reuben-92.html
Latest Review: "The Piketty Problem" by Garth Hallberg

Official Review: Echoes from the Void by A.O. Nathan

Post by Reuben 92 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Echoes from the Void" by A.O. Nathan.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Echoes from the Void by A. O. Nathan is not an easy book. It is difficult to know where to begin a review when there is little to speak about regarding plot or characterisation. The book's description piqued my interest: absurdism, madness and James Joyce seemed like a great cocktail, so I eagerly started reading. I soon found that, like Joyce, Nathan focuses on language as a a site for meaning (or indeed, non-meaning) and is concerned about linguistic effects rather than narrative or intelligibility. Language assaults the reader in this book like a tsunami: it completely overwhelms and disorients. It is not a comfortable read, by any means, and it is full of challenge and complexity.

Unfortunately, though the experiment is full of promise, I do not think that Nathan fully delivers. The ambition is present, and deserves great credit, but I was not wholly convinced by the book. For this reason, I give Echoes from the Void 2 out of 4 stars, while carefully qualifying this by saying I can easily imagine it having a strong cult following, or even plenty of readers who are more willing to surrender to its flow and direction.

The book opens with the main protagonist, Howzer, travelling aimlessly through a bizarre dreamscape, encountering jargon-spouting humans, anthropomorphised animals and a host of inanimate objects (which last are either eaten or stored away in bags and pockets - in most cases never to be heard of again). And this is exactly how the main narrative ends, as well. This is not a book for those looking for plot, or a story arc: Nathan frustrates these expectations in favour of a different approach.

Of the four sections of the book, sections one and three are the longest, and follow the actions and reactions of Howzer in this strange world. The only hints of stability we are given are in the characters of his 'bad boy' best friend and roommate - who is an unnamed walrus - and the mysterious female 'M'. Both of these characters come and go frequently, providing Howzer with friends and foils who are just as confused and conflicted as himself. He has conversations with both, and travels with them to different locales (symbolic places such as a church or an art museum), in his search for meaning. Just as they approach the edge of some sort of reciprocity or shared understanding - or just as Howzer hopes that the locations he visits will bring him clarity or hope - this is cruelly undercut by 'the voices'.

These voices issue from everywhere: strangers he meets; birds and animals; the radio and the TV. Each voice embarks on a long insane (and inane) rant, a stream of nonsense that often lasts for pages. At one point, too, one of these voices explicitly confirms our suspicion that only Howzer can hear it, giving us a chilling insight into Howzer's mental state.

Although they add a clever pattern to the text I found these interceptions to be far too lengthy. They easily take up the same amount of space as the actual 'plot'. While there are sometimes sentences or ideas that are truly striking and poetic, these are few and far between. The rest is a nauseating, messy cacophany of scatalogy, violence and blasphemy: which is, I understand, the point. But these speeches were too extended to have full impact. It rapidly got to the stage where I groaned inwardly when another tirade started. I think these sections, if severely edited, would pack a much bigger punch.

The other two sections - two and four - contain a seemingly more detached voice (perhaps the author?) and contain tormented philosophical musings on language, meaning and madness. They were much more brief, and for this reason much stronger. They also contained some phrases which struck me as wryly self-reflexive:
Division of fanatical lists into poetry,
or indeed - dare I suggest it -
this crap needs editing, or some organisation.
The language in this book was its strong point, as promised. Nathan employs a huge vocabulary with confidence and verve, and the frequent puns, rhymes and other forms of wordplay are excellent. There are many highly original descriptions, for example:
The moon was slathered on the sky, dripping like wax against the lagoon of space.
I also found a lot of entertaining quasi-proverbial sayings, such as the following:
Yesterday is like the egg and tomorrow is like the hammer that smashes that egg.
There was also some measure of meaning granted to the attentive reader in the form of repeated images and motifs. The first was the motif of birds: they acted as messengers and catalysts, but ritually ended up being shot by Howzer. Dust was the second - a fitting, if predictable, image of decay and atrophy. The last, and most recurrent, was the word 'chowder'. I have no idea why it was used, but its very randomness made it conspicuous.

Nathan's work reminded me of the following authors, without living up to the standard of any: Lewis Carroll, Edward Lear, Mervyn Peake, Mikhail Bulgakov, Franz Kafka, and James Joyce. This is an impressive list to be able to summon up in a reader's mind, even if it is only for negative comparison.

Finally, if the words grotty, anarchic, sickening, depressive and hypnotic do not turn you off, then A. O. Nathan's Echoes from the Void will tick all of those boxes. Having read that the book comes out of his personal experience of depression and imprisonment, its themes and tone are given an added power; but unfortunately its bagginess outweighs its brains and its ambition outstrips its execution. My opinion falls squarely with one of the voices that rambles at Howzer:
And you're drowning in the sheer volume of language you imbibe. There's too much of it. Who could memorize the stacks? And who has time to listen to their recitation?
Echoes from the Void
View: on Bookshelves

Like Reuben 92's review? Post a comment saying so!
"Every reader is, while he is reading, the reader of his own self. The writer's work is merely a kind of optical instrument which he offers to the reader to enable him to discern what...he would perhaps never have perceived in himself."
Proust
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Hmmm... This sounds a little too bizarre for me. Thanks for the review, though.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Reuben 92
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =6703">The Count of Monte Cristo</a>

Post by Reuben 92 »

You're welcome. It certainly is a bizarre book! It won't be everybody's cup of tea...
"Every reader is, while he is reading, the reader of his own self. The writer's work is merely a kind of optical instrument which he offers to the reader to enable him to discern what...he would perhaps never have perceived in himself."
Proust
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

Bizarre is the word! I'm still trying to understand that bit about the egg and the hammer, but the lagoon-of-space statement is inspired.

I'm not familiar with the work of the famed authors you mentioned, but I do know Mois Benarroch. How would you compare Nathan to Benarroch?
Reuben 92

Post by Reuben 92 »

Apologies for not being able to help, but I am nit familiar with Mois Bennaroch's work! From what I can see based on looking him up, there may be some similarities, but Nathan's work is more of an experiment with language - this is the main focus of his work. I hope this helps! Thank you for reading the review.
Proust
TheTad
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by TheTad »

This was a very enjoyable review to read. I am not familiar with the novel but am actually keen to pick it up based on some of the things you've said here. Some of the quotations you've used seem genuinely inspired and it seems a shame that it drags in places. The whole philosophy of language aspect really makes this book appeal - maybe it is an addition to my 'maybe pile'! Thanks again for another stellar review!
Reuben 92

Post by Reuben 92 »

You are very welcome. It is a pity because there are many really interesting aspects of the book. I can imagine some readers really enjoying it so do give it a go if you get round to it!
Proust
geoffrey ngoima
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-geoffrey-ngoima.html
Latest Review: "The Little Girl Inside Owning My Role in My Own Pain" by Tonya Barbee
Reading Device: B00UB76290

Post by geoffrey ngoima »

This book sounds like something. Your review as always is honest, clever and to the point, keep them coming.
To posit that the war brings us closer to faith is a sleight of hand that makes fools of us all. "There Are Only Atheists in Fox Holes"~ Michael Carson
Latest Review: "The Little Girl Inside Owning My Role in My Own Pain" by Tonya Barbee
Reuben 92

Post by Reuben 92 »

I appreciate that, geoffrey ngoima. There should be a new one in a few days!
Proust
geoffrey ngoima
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-geoffrey-ngoima.html
Reading Device: B00UB76290

Post by geoffrey ngoima »

Reuben 92 wrote:I appreciate that, geoffrey ngoima. There should be a new one in a few days!
Please notify me when it's published. I also have a new one coming soon...
To posit that the war brings us closer to faith is a sleight of hand that makes fools of us all. "There Are Only Atheists in Fox Holes"~ Michael Carson
Reuben 92

Post by Reuben 92 »

Will do. The same to you - let me know when it arrives!
Proust
EileenT1992

Post by EileenT1992 »

Strange books are right up my street!

Thanks for such a balanced and well thought out review

I'll give this a go :techie-studyingbrown: :techie-studyingbrown: :techie-studyingbrown: :techie-studyingbrown: :techie-studyinggray: :techie-studyinggray: :techie-studyinggray:
Reuben 92

Post by Reuben 92 »

It's definitely a strange one! Let me know what you think of it...
Proust
MoisBenarroch

Post by MoisBenarroch »

Interresting, thanks.
Reuben 92

Post by Reuben 92 »

Thanks so much for the comment MoisBennaroch! Perhaps you could shed some light on this request:
I'm not familiar with the work of the famed authors you mentioned, but I do know Mois Benarroch. How would you compare Nathan to Benarroch?
Proust

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”