Official Review: Piazza Carousel by Jule Selbo

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
micoleon13
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 96
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-micoleon13.html
Latest Review: Sandusky Burning by Bryan W. Conway

Official Review: Piazza Carousel by Jule Selbo

Post by micoleon13 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Piazza Carousel" by Jule Selbo.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Stroll the streets of Florence and soak up its history and beauty in Jule Selbo’s new novel, Piazza Carousel.

Every year Lyn travels to Florence to run a writers’ seminar. This year she has a different purpose as she is wanting to utilise her time in Italy to also research her mother’s past. Her mother was a Mud Angel, one of the many volunteers who helped save priceless artwork from devastating flood waters in 1966. Growing up with these stories, Lyn wants to rediscover her mother and base her next book on her time in Florence. However, in doing so Lyn learns more about betrayal, loss, love and the importance of friendship than she thought possible. Will she be able to get past her own emotional obstacles in order to do her mother’s story justice?

Written in first person from Lyn’s point of view, the reader is able to see everything from her perspective and empathise along with her as she discovers both secrets and joy. Not only is Lyn herself a relatable character with all her flaws and hopes, there is a nice contrast between her and her friend, Valentina, an outspoken, confident young Italian woman who will let nothing get in her way. Lyn’s husband, Stan, is portrayed well as dislikeable and arrogant and it’s easy for the reader to empathise with Lyn. The other characters are vividly described bringing a realism and depth to the story. The people involved in the writing seminar have very strong personalities and ideals and this helps to portray that while people may come from a diverse range of backgrounds, commonality can always be found.

The writing style itself moves with a smooth flow, making it an exceptionally easy book to read. The story is punctuated with historical references which I, as someone who knows nothing about Florence, found both lovely and interesting. The beautiful imagery, as well as the finesse with which the book was written, is all the more surprising given that it is the author’s first novel.

There is a wonderful underlying theme in this book of disaster or hardship being overcome and then rebuilding from the ruins. Whether this is after a natural disaster like the flood, or from an emotional disaster such as a betrayal of a friend or loved one. It’s not an overly emphasised theme which makes it all the more appealing.

The love interest also fits in well with the flow of the story. It never feels forced, as it sometimes does in a story, and the relationship develops naturally with everyday ups and downs adding to its realistic portrayal.

There is very little I could find to criticise in this book, it was a thoroughly enjoyable read. I found reading it was like curling up with a hot chocolate on a rainy day and I therefore rate it 4 out of 4 stars. Classified as other fiction, it could almost fall into the romance genre, but there is something about it which adds an extra quality. This is a book for a wide audience, especially those who like to travel or want to fall in love with the beauty and history of Florence. A well-deserved congratulations to the author.

Piazza Carousel
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like micoleon13's review? Post a comment saying so!
Aimy
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aimy.html
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon

Post by Aimy »

Stories about different places and reading about the things peculiar to those places fascinate me. You must have enjoyed reading this. :)
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Rebuilding from the ruins is always an interesting story. Life is all about overcoming hardship. Sounds like quite a book. Thanks for the review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
The Researcher
Currently Reading: Buried Threads
Bookshelf Size: 101
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-the-researcher.html
Latest Review: "Curve Couture" by H M Irwing
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by The Researcher »

Romance is a favourite genre of mine.I think I will add this to my reading list. Nice review
What is the most special thing I did today- I was MYSELF. Happy and in love and unapologetically myself.
Latest Review: "Curve Couture" by H M Irwing
raizenagallo
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raizenagallo.html
Latest Review: "A Case of Black Rock Mineral Water" by Simon Marshland

Post by raizenagallo »

I love reading books with realistic themes and relatable characters. The fact that I know nothing about Florence makes me want to read this book. Great review!
Latest Review: "A Case of Black Rock Mineral Water" by Simon Marshland
MrsCatInTheHat
Favorite Book: Cry the Beloved Country
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrscatinthehat.html
Latest Review: Marc Marci by Larry G. Goldsmith
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 0

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

I enjoy it when a book's imagery makes me feel like I'm there. I'm not familiar with the floods mentioned so this book might be fun as well as educational.
Life without a good book is something MrsCatInTheHat cannot imagine.
Reuben 92
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =6703">The Count of Monte Cristo</a>
Bookshelf Size: 827
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reuben-92.html
Latest Review: "The Piketty Problem" by Garth Hallberg

Post by Reuben 92 »

I love reading about Italy and I'm so glad Florence features strongly in this book. You've made this book sound really appealing - it's clear that you enjoyed it! Thanks for a lovely review.
"Every reader is, while he is reading, the reader of his own self. The writer's work is merely a kind of optical instrument which he offers to the reader to enable him to discern what...he would perhaps never have perceived in himself."
Proust
Latest Review: "The Piketty Problem" by Garth Hallberg
Gratey12
Currently Reading: Marvel Science Stories Nov 1950
Bookshelf Size: 588
Reading Device: B00P93430Q

Post by Gratey12 »

Nice review as this is a place for writers and the book tells a story of Lyn a writer herself. Thanks..
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

I love reading books that take place in such a beautiful setting and are punctuated with historical references to boot. It seems like a very cute book, so I added it to my reading list. Thank you for the review!
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Maulyne
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 103
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maulyne.html
Latest Review: Small Change by Keddie Hughes

Post by Maulyne »

Thanks for the review.The story is told in different places .this is best because one its thrilling and is also an adventure without traveling to those places. I think its an amazing story will sure read it
Kourtney Bradley
Favorite Book: Bridges of Madison County
Currently Reading: Layla
Bookshelf Size: 412
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kourtney-bradley.html
Latest Review: Dante's Demons by K.L. Barstow
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Kourtney Bradley »

Just from the synopsis of the book, I'm reminded of "Eat Pray Love."
Nice review, thank you for sharing!
Whenever you read a good book, somewhere in the world a door opens to allow in more light. :techie-studyingbrown:
–Vera Nazarian
Ferdinand_Otieno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Victor Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1749
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ferdinand-otieno.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
fav_author_id: 78026

Post by Ferdinand_Otieno »

Amazing story that highlights the best of Italy. Truly 3 out of 4 stars. Congrats #BOTD
Excellent review that does this excellent book justice.
Chuks Daniel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 140
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chuks-daniel.html
Latest Review: "30th Century: Escape" by Mark Kingston Levin

Post by Chuks Daniel »

Apart from its romantic depth,this novel bares the beauty of Florence,a fact I love so much.
Latest Review: "30th Century: Escape" by Mark Kingston Levin
Ashiyya Tariq
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 235
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashiyya-tariq.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller
Reading Device: PDF

Post by Ashiyya Tariq »

This Story has a strong background. I am currently reading other fiction which is really interesting. This book is also interesting. Reviewer has done Justice with the book. Good review.
Make your ideals high enough to inspire you and low enough to encourage you.

📕📖📰📓📕
meteku4
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-meteku4.html
Latest Review: "Followed my Star" by AR Annahita

Post by meteku4 »

It will be a good feeling to read about Florence. I enjoyed the review and I hope to enjoy the story too.
Latest Review: "Followed my Star" by AR Annahita

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”