Official Review: The Perfect Match by T. Wayne Bloodworth

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Official Review: The Perfect Match by T. Wayne Bloodworth

Post by bookowlie »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Perfect Match" by T. Wayne Bloodworth.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Perfect Match by T. Wayne Bloodworth is a novel about a widowed cardiac surgeon who is at a crossroads in his life. It can be categorized in the General Fiction genre. After his wife Emily’s death fifteen years earlier, Zack Folsom became absorbed in his surgical career to cope with his grief. As a side hobby, he started Surgical Robotics Inc., a company that produces surgical robotics instruments. Zack also endured changes in his personal life due to his wife’s passing. His ten-year-old son Billy was sent to live with Emily’s parents while Zack finished his surgical residency. This turned into a long-term living situation and a tense, estranged relationship between father and son.

Now forty-six years old, Zack considers retiring from medicine or, at least, winding down to a part-time surgical position. In addition, an international corporation has made an offer to buy his now successful robotics company. Zack hasn’t had any serious romances over the years, but this may change when he meets Gabriella, the corporation’s charming Italian lawyer.

I enjoyed this story and found myself rooting for Zack every step of the way. He is a layered character who is likable despite his flaws. However, there is a “tell”, rather than “show”, writing style. There isn’t much subtlety to the writing, as the author explains what every little thing means. In general, the supporting characters aren’t well developed and I wasn’t able to connect with them. One exception is Zack’s “brother” Armando (when Zack’s father died, he was raised by Armando’s parents). He is an intriguing character and the pair’s close relationship is very heartwarming.

The plot lacks focus as the storyline goes off track at times. While the subplots are interesting, I would have liked more meatiness as opposed to a “blink and we’re on to something else” quality. For example, there are random, short contacts between Zack and his son. Then the plot will abruptly transition to something completely unrelated. This gives the story a disjointed feel. The ending ties up a little too neatly, although there are one or two twists along the way. One of the twists is somewhat predictable, although still satisfying.

An extra round or two of professional editing is needed here. I spotted approximately ten errors, such as typos, extra/missing/incorrect words, extra or missing punctuation, etc. Also, the following words are shown as two words instead of one – sweat pants instead of sweatpants, night club instead of nightclub, and door bell instead of doorbell.

I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. Despite the issues I mentioned, it is a pleasant, light read. The themes of family, coping with loss, and midlife changes are realistically explored. I would have liked more depth to some of the plotlines, but overall I enjoyed the story. I would recommend it to readers who enjoy contemporary fiction and beach-style reads.

The Perfect Match
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like bookowlie's review? Post a comment saying so!
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

A novel about a widowed cardiac surgeon who is at a crossroads in his life? Sounds nice. Too bad about the lack of focus, the errors, and the undeveloped supporting characters. I don't think it is for me, but I am glad you enjoyed it despite the issues you mentioned. Great review!
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

Thanks Gali! I am surprised to see this review published since it was delivered privately to the author six months ago. Despite the issues I mentioned, I absolutely loved the main character and would be interested in reading future books featuring him.
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

I have never come across a book of this kind before. The plot is new for me. Seems there are a lot life lesson to be learnt from the book. Thank you!
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
kandscreeley
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Another great review bookowlie. I thought this would be more of like a medical thriller, but it doesn't sound like it. In spite of that, it sounds interesting enough. I might have to look into this one but am still somewhat unsure of the tell not show style. Thanks for taking the time to share this one with us.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
saintpeeters
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by saintpeeters »

The novel is about zack a widowed cardiac surgeon who is at a crossroads in the life, and going far mile in producing surgical robotic instrument dat is zack thinking out of the box from the origin telling us to think beyond others
"Doing 99% of what others are not doing"
Kat Berg
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 5">Raven's Peak</a>
Currently Reading: James Baldwin
Bookshelf Size: 223
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kat-berg.html
Latest Review: Why Am I Here by Melvin Bell
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Kat Berg »

Thanks for the review! Before I started doing reviews I didn't realize how many pet peeves I had about books. The tell rather than show is right at the top along with poor grammatical editing. For me, the author hasn't finished the book until they have moved to the next step of showing. That all by itself would keep me from reading this book. And how interesting that they chose to publish your review so much later after it was delivered to the writer.
NL Hartje
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Kushiel's Dart
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 385
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nl-hartje.html
Latest Review: Looking forward as the Journey continues by George Mills

Post by NL Hartje »

bookowlie wrote: 23 Aug 2017, 13:22 I would have liked more meatiness as opposed to a “blink and we’re on to something else” quality.
This is a good way of voicing what I often feel. There are few stories that are successful with the snap scene changes.
“So the writer who breeds more words than he needs, is making a chore for the reader who reads.”
-Dr. Seuss
bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

Thanks everyone for the feedback. Despite the disjointed feel of the plot, the story still had a lot of potential.
Ashiyya Tariq
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 235
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashiyya-tariq.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller
Reading Device: PDF

Post by Ashiyya Tariq »

The story of a cardiac surgeon doing business in surgical robotics is quite interesting. Thanks for this critical review.
Make your ideals high enough to inspire you and low enough to encourage you.

📕📖📰📓📕
Umm_Zahra
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 0686">From Drift to SHIFT</a>
Currently Reading: Breaking Point
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-umm-zahra.html
Latest Review: And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White

Post by Umm_Zahra »

Love your review but I prefer a book where I can engage with the characters and not look in from the outside so, I will pass on this. Good job though.
prettysmart
Currently Reading: Big Doc Bitteroot
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prettysmart.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery by R.F. Kristi

Post by prettysmart »

Splendid review! Good read for medical students ....I will plunge into this one...

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”