Forum Navigation: Forum Index » Books and Reading » Reviews and Discussions about Specific Books and Series » Other Fiction Forum

Want FREE books and FREE Amazon gift cards?

Each day we announce via email a book that is either FREE or on a temporary sale at a great discount price. These are not your average free books. These are incredible insider deals on well-rated books. OnlineBookClub.org is where tomorrow's bestsellers are born. We also give away over $1,000 per month of free Amazon gift cards in free daily giveaways, exclusively to those signed up to these announcements! Hurry, sign up free now:

Sorry, this proves you are human.

Official Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.

Official Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon

Post Number:#1 by ZenaLei7
» 15 Aug 2017, 17:58

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon.]

Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Review by ZenaLei7
Share This Review

Strong Heart is a fascinating novel filled with adventure, mysteries, and drama. Set in the Pacific Northwest, the story is written by Charlie Sheldon and narrated by Laurel Ann White.

Tom and his Native American friends, William and Myra, are packing up for a backpacking adventure through Olympic National Park when an unannounced visitor shows up at the front door. This visitor turns out to be Tom’s unknown granddaughter, Sarah. As Tom reluctantly agrees to take Sarah hiking with him, he has no idea of the struggles that he and his companions will face. When Sarah disappears, Tom is determined to find her. Eight days later, she reappears and tells of an impossible story of what happened when she disappeared. As the other three try to make sense of Sarah’s story, they face even more challenges after they go back home.

This is the first time that I listened to an audiobook, and I was surprised to find myself enjoying it. The narration was well done, but at times it was a bit flat, and it felt a little monotone. I liked the variation of the voices between each character because they were all distinctive. However, I think I still prefer reading books rather than listening to them.

Throughout the book, the descriptions of the scenes including Olympic National Park were vivid, and it was easy to visualize the scenes. The mix between science and legend added a unique twist to the story. Even though the author didn’t provide much background information on the characters, it wasn’t necessary as it wasn’t difficult to keep up with the story.

Most of story is told from William’s point of view, but some of the story was told from Sarah’s point of view. When Sarah recounted her story behind her disappearance, I was a little confused at first and wondered if I had accidentally skipped a part in the story. Her story seemed so bizarre that I had to go back to the beginning of her story to make sure I didn’t miss anything. To me, it seemed like she was gone for months when in reality she was only gone for eight days. It was until later on in the book that I realized the meaning behind her story.

The only thing that I didn’t like about this book was the ending. It seemed abrupt and left a few questions unanswered. However, I think that was a minor detail, and I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book. Overall, I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. I would recommend this book to those who like to read adventure stories mixed with Native American legends and archaeology.

Strong Heart
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like ZenaLei7's review? Post a comment saying so!
“The only important thing in a book is the meaning that it has for you.” - W. Somerset Maugham
ZenaLei7

Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 54 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 100 Books
Goal Completion: 48%

Did you know?

Once you join the forums and log in you will get to enjoy a very ad-reduced experience. It's easy and completely free!

Re: Official Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon

Post Number:#2 by kandscreeley
» 17 Aug 2017, 08:30

I enjoy listening to audio books on long trips. This sounds like one that I might have to put on my list. Thanks for a lovely review!
“There is no friend as loyal as a book.”
― Ernest Hemingway
kandscreeley's Latest Review: "The Other side:" by Seth Ramey
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader

Currently Reading: Strong Heart
Bookshelf Size: 100 books

View Reviewer Page
Goal Completion: 82%

Post Number:#3 by ZenaLei7
» 17 Aug 2017, 08:37

kandscreeley wrote:I enjoy listening to audio books on long trips. This sounds like one that I might have to put on my list. Thanks for a lovely review!

Thanks!
“The only important thing in a book is the meaning that it has for you.” - W. Somerset Maugham
ZenaLei7

Currently Reading:

View Reviewer Page

Post Number:#4 by Ndayisabayamado3
» 17 Aug 2017, 10:21

I really liked this adventure story it's highly amazing to read.
Ndayisabayamado3

Currently Reading: I Can't Make This Up
Bookshelf Size: 15 books
2017 Reading Goal: 0 Books
Goal Completion: 0%

Post Number:#5 by Amagine
» 17 Aug 2017, 10:24

I also like audio books and this one sounds like an interesting book.

Great Review! 💟
"That's the thing about books. They let you travel without moving your feet." -Jhumpa Lahiri

"Once you learn to read, you will be forever free." -Frederick Douglass
Amagine's Latest Review: "The Little Witch" by Ronald Craig
Amagine
Bookshelves Moderator

Favorite Author: James Patterson
Favorite Book: Writing for Children and Teens
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 692 books

View Reviewer Page
Reading Device: Fire HD 7 Tablet
2017 Reading Goal: 400 Books
Goal Completion: 43%

Post Number:#6 by ZenaLei7
» 17 Aug 2017, 10:36

Ndayisabayamado3 wrote:I really liked this adventure story it's highly amazing to read.

Thanks for reading!

-- 17 Aug 2017, 09:37 --

Amagine wrote:I also like audio books and this one sounds like an interesting book.

Great Review! 💟

Thanks!
ZenaLei7

Currently Reading:

View Reviewer Page

Post Number:#7 by Odogola Benjamin
» 17 Aug 2017, 23:27

Wow, beautiful mind, beautiful books but yours is such abrilliant one.
Odogola Benjamin

Currently Reading: The Expansion
Bookshelf Size: 0 books

Post Number:#8 by ZenaLei7
» 17 Aug 2017, 23:29

Odogola Benjamin wrote:Wow, beautiful mind, beautiful books but yours is such abrilliant one.

Thanks!
ZenaLei7

Currently Reading:

View Reviewer Page

Post Number:#9 by The Researcher
» 17 Aug 2017, 23:30

Nice review! It looks like you enjoyed the adventure in this book. Thanks for sharing your views.
What is the most special thing I did today- I was MYSELF. Happy and in love and unapologetically myself.
The Researcher's Latest Review: "Imperfect Bond" by Timberly Simmons
The Researcher

Currently Reading: Buried Threads
Bookshelf Size: 97 books

View Reviewer Page
Reading Device: Kindle (E-Ink)
2017 Reading Goal: 50 Books
Goal Completion: 160%

Post Number:#10 by ZenaLei7
» 17 Aug 2017, 23:36

The Researcher wrote:Nice review! It looks like you enjoyed the adventure in this book. Thanks for sharing your views.

I did enjoy it! Thanks for reading.
ZenaLei7

Currently Reading:

View Reviewer Page

Post Number:#11 by The Researcher
» 17 Aug 2017, 23:37

ZenaLei7 wrote:
The Researcher wrote:Nice review! It looks like you enjoyed the adventure in this book. Thanks for sharing your views.

I did enjoy it! Thanks for reading.

You are welcome. I enjoyed reading your review.
What is the most special thing I did today- I was MYSELF. Happy and in love and unapologetically myself.
The Researcher's Latest Review: "Imperfect Bond" by Timberly Simmons
The Researcher

Currently Reading: Buried Threads
Bookshelf Size: 97 books

View Reviewer Page
Reading Device: Kindle (E-Ink)
Goal Completion: 160%

Post Number:#12 by Haifa_books
» 18 Aug 2017, 12:47

i like your review ,i read all the important things that i need when i wanna
read a review ,and yes i'm one of those who like adventures books thank you dear :)
Haifa_books

Favorite Book: Act Like a Lady, Think Like a Man
Currently Reading: The Power of Now
Bookshelf Size: 11 books

Post Number:#13 by ZenaLei7
» 18 Aug 2017, 12:53

Haifa_books wrote:i like your review ,i read all the important things that i need when i wanna
read a review ,and yes i'm one of those who like adventures books thank you dear :)

Thanks for reading!
ZenaLei7

Currently Reading:

View Reviewer Page

Post Number:#14 by IsabelMay
» 18 Aug 2017, 14:26

Native American legends are an interesting feature. I'm glad I'm not the only one who notices that narration in audiobooks can sometimes be flat and kind of ruin the story itself but hopefully it isn't a big problem here.
IsabelMay

Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1939 books

View Reviewer Page

Post Number:#15 by ZenaLei7
» 18 Aug 2017, 14:38

IsabelMay wrote:Native American legends are an interesting feature. I'm glad I'm not the only one who notices that narration in audiobooks can sometimes be flat and kind of ruin the story itself but hopefully it isn't a big problem here.

It wasn't a big problem here. Thanks for reading!
ZenaLei7

Currently Reading:

View Reviewer Page

Next