Official Review: Blooming Rose by Rob Wyatt

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
NadineTimes10
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 3844">John Nielson Had a Daughter</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nadinetimes10.html
Latest Review: Joletta’s Dreams by Karen Craker Forester

Official Review: Blooming Rose by Rob Wyatt

Post by NadineTimes10 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Blooming Rose" by Rob Wyatt.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Father Francis Gold, who goes by Father Frank (and plain old “Frank”), has had his substantial share of accidents, but he’s settled into life at his parish in Florida. After spending his first Christmas in the United States, he makes a visit back to England and returns to the States with his widowed mother, Rose. However, the mother of one of Frank’s parishioners has gone missing, and the case soon pulls Frank into the role of an unofficial private investigator. While he’s busy hunting down clues, he’s also baffled by the sparkling changes he sees in his own mother as she’s discovering America—and herself—in Blooming Rose, a novel by author Rob Wyatt.

This second book in the Father Frank series brings back the memorable and quirky core characters who were introduced in the first book, Can I Be Frank? The sequel has enough small details from the preceding novel to catch new readers up, but not so many repeated details as to bore returning readers. It’s certainly a bonus to read both novels together, and I’d recommend that readers of the sequel also read the first book, whether before or after this one.

While Blooming Rose doesn’t have as much blatant comedy as its predecessor does, it’s still a light and humorous read with a thread of mystery. It also handles serious issues, including different social mores and family dynamics between older parents and their adult children. It’s interesting to see how Frank works to not only add to his congregation but to make the church a vital part of the greater community. Even so, the way he jumps headlong into precarious situations without a plan shows that he still has more to learn. Frank’s mix of strengths and weaknesses, his interactions with friends and family, and his conversational prayers contribute to making him a well-rounded and down-to-earth protagonist.

The pacing of the story is easygoing and perhaps fairly slow, particularly during the first half of the book. More than a hundred pages through, it almost felt to me like the story was still in its beginning stages, just getting warmed up. The end of the book leaves room for a following novel; while it doesn’t finish on a total cliffhanger (since the reader can likely tell what’s coming next), the ending is rather abrupt.

There are some minor language and mechanical issues throughout the book. Because Frank and Rose are natives of England, now in the U.S., the differences between British and American English are a natural part of the characters’ conversations. However, there are brief instances when American characters use expressions that sound British, and it doesn’t appear to be an intentional aspect of the story. There’s also some confusion with homonyms, and although the book’s typos and punctuation errors aren’t excessive, the text could have used an additional proofread to give it more polish.

Nevertheless, even with its flaws, this is an entertaining novel that balances comedy with important matters of community and human relationships. Therefore, I give Blooming Rose a rating of 3 out of 4 stars. I’d recommend it to fans of light and humorous fiction that has substance blended in.

Blooming Rose
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like NadineTimes10's review? Post a comment saying so!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Thanks for a nice review. I don't know if I've said this in the previous reviews, but it reminds me of that series by Jan Karon about the priest.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by Amagine »

I love books that promotes interesting matters in humorous ways. It's a great way to captivate an audience.

Great Review! ?
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
NadineTimes10
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 3844">John Nielson Had a Daughter</a>
Currently Reading:

Post by NadineTimes10 »

kandscreeley wrote:Thanks for a nice review. I don't know if I've said this in the previous reviews, but it reminds me of that series by Jan Karon about the priest.
Oh--the Mitford and Father Tim novels. I hadn't thought of that! :) I wouldn't put them in the same group, since the Father Frank novels aren't categorized as Christian or inspirational fiction; they have some profanity and are more irreverent overall, but I could see Frank being more Father Tim-like when he's older (but without a wife, though, since Frank is Catholic!) :-D

-- Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:22 am --
Amagine wrote:I love books that promotes interesting matters in humorous ways. It's a great way to captivate an audience.

Great Review! ?
Thanks! I was fortunate to pick up the sequel after reading the first novel. :)
IsabelMay
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3761
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-isabelmay.html
Latest Review: "Anna's Journey" by Gerald Miller

Post by IsabelMay »

I wasn't aware it was a sequel. It's nice that you mentioned the differences between British and American English the author at least tried to point out . I appreciate when authors take some time to do a research even if they don't always succeed completely. It adds to the story. Thanks for the review!
Latest Review: "Anna's Journey" by Gerald Miller
NadineTimes10
Currently Reading:

Post by NadineTimes10 »

IsabelMay wrote:I wasn't aware it was a sequel. It's nice that you mentioned the differences between British and American English the author at least tried to point out . I appreciate when authors take some time to do a research even if they don't always succeed completely. It adds to the story. Thanks for the review!
You're welcome! I understand the author is from England and moved to the United States, so I suspect any unintentional slips into British English by American characters in the book were only natural for the author. :D
The Researcher
Currently Reading: Buried Threads
Bookshelf Size: 101
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-the-researcher.html
Latest Review: "Curve Couture" by H M Irwing
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by The Researcher »

Nice review! I am thinking of reading this book but the slow pace thing you mentioned made me rethink my decision. Thanks for sharing your views.
What is the most special thing I did today- I was MYSELF. Happy and in love and unapologetically myself.
Latest Review: "Curve Couture" by H M Irwing
NadineTimes10
Currently Reading:

Post by NadineTimes10 »

The Researcher wrote:Nice review! I am thinking of reading this book but the slow pace thing you mentioned made me rethink my decision. Thanks for sharing your views.
Thank you and you're welcome! The preceding book wasn't particularly fast paced either, but the first third or so was packed with so much hilarity, I probably couldn't have handled the story moving any faster anyway--since I needed time to stop and laugh my head off. :D Still, although it may not pack quite as many laughs, I do think the second novel is well worth the read. :)
Reuben 92
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =6703">The Count of Monte Cristo</a>
Bookshelf Size: 827
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reuben-92.html
Latest Review: "The Piketty Problem" by Garth Hallberg

Post by Reuben 92 »

I really liked the first Frank novel and this one sounds well worth the time, even if, as you suggest, it isn't as blatantly funny. I'm interested to see more of Frank's mum who only appeared in phone conversations in the first book! Thanks for a great review!
"Every reader is, while he is reading, the reader of his own self. The writer's work is merely a kind of optical instrument which he offers to the reader to enable him to discern what...he would perhaps never have perceived in himself."
Proust
Latest Review: "The Piketty Problem" by Garth Hallberg
NadineTimes10
Currently Reading:

Post by NadineTimes10 »

Reuben 92 wrote:I really liked the first Frank novel and this one sounds well worth the time, even if, as you suggest, it isn't as blatantly funny. I'm interested to see more of Frank's mum who only appeared in phone conversations in the first book! Thanks for a great review!
You're welcome! And, yes, it's fun when sequels bring previous characters from the background into the foreground, so to speak. :)
geoffrey ngoima
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-geoffrey-ngoima.html
Latest Review: "The Little Girl Inside Owning My Role in My Own Pain" by Tonya Barbee
Reading Device: B00UB76290

Post by geoffrey ngoima »

Wow, great review, NadineTimes10, a light and funny fiction is just perfect.
To posit that the war brings us closer to faith is a sleight of hand that makes fools of us all. "There Are Only Atheists in Fox Holes"~ Michael Carson
Latest Review: "The Little Girl Inside Owning My Role in My Own Pain" by Tonya Barbee
NadineTimes10
Currently Reading:

Post by NadineTimes10 »

geoffrey ngoima wrote:Wow, great review, NadineTimes10, a light and funny fiction is just perfect.
Thank you! I actually need to start adding more humorous books to my reading. :)
geoffrey ngoima
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-geoffrey-ngoima.html
Reading Device: B00UB76290

Post by geoffrey ngoima »

NadineTimes10 wrote:
geoffrey ngoima wrote:Wow, great review, NadineTimes10, a light and funny fiction is just perfect.
Thank you! I actually need to start adding more humorous books to my reading. :)
I do not object. ma'am!
To posit that the war brings us closer to faith is a sleight of hand that makes fools of us all. "There Are Only Atheists in Fox Holes"~ Michael Carson
MrsCatInTheHat
Favorite Book: Cry the Beloved Country
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrscatinthehat.html
Latest Review: Marc Marci by Larry G. Goldsmith
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 0

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

I loved "Can I be Frank?" and will have to read this one too. Wyatt is a comedic writer who keeps me laughing.
Life without a good book is something MrsCatInTheHat cannot imagine.
KeriCraven
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kericraven.html
Latest Review: "Life Before" by K.L. Romo

Post by KeriCraven »

I've been on the fence about reading the first one or not. I want to but do I really want to. That sort of thing. Your review had pushed me off the fence and now I have to read both.. Thank you for your review
Latest Review: "Life Before" by K.L. Romo

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”