Official Review: Something happened in Spain

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Harmony Hills
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 0734">Anne of Green Gables</a>
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-harmony-hills.html
Latest Review: "Alba" by B. E. Okoh

Official Review: Something happened in Spain

Post by Harmony Hills »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Something happened in Spain" by Annie Bolton.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Something Happened in Spain is a Nonfiction book by Annie Bolton flavored with romance. You may have read some accounts of true crime-filled events from other countries, but this one is set in Spain particularly in the city of Marbella.

Nick Armand proposed to his beloved girlfriend Gabriella Daly-- a beautiful and free spirited teacher who wanted to attend a "Teaching English as a Foreign Language (TEFL)" teaching program in Spain. She accepted the proposal, and everything was perfect until Nick told her what he really is -- an undercover detective set out to do another mission for a year which is coincidentally also in Spain. Gaby was shocked at this revelation and Nick knowing that it will save their relationship, gave her the space and time she needed to sort out her feelings, leaving her a promise to find her again. Gaby, not wanting to go back, went to Spain bringing everything with her. There she lived in a new home and new environment, trained in TEFL and got a new job, met plenty of new students turned friends, new acquaintances, new flings, and faced so many new obstacles while waiting for Nick to locate her. On one of her friend's party, she met her new love Jim which is both a plumber and an accountant. The two of them fell for each other leading to a proposal that she accepted and decided to forget about Nick. Everything seemed to be ideal-- a husband-to-be and a good-paying job. However, her stay in Spain wasn't at all perfect. An apartment full of cockroaches, murders, betrayals, drugs and all sort of unexpected things have been all around her, leaving her life utterly scarred in the end.

Written in a third person's point of view, readers will find themselves engrossed at the life of Gaby as she explore all the corners of Spain and the things in it. Although filled with romance, it showed the issues faced by the city of Marbella and the illicit activities happening there. Sex, drugs, money laundering, theft, kidnapping, murder, name it all. The author presented all of it in a creative way using a woman protagonist experiencing some of the crimes. Gaby found herself involved more than she wanted to in a complicated crime-filled environment of the city not finding a better way out of it. But despite of all Gaby's misfortunes, I enjoyed reading the book. There are plenty of characters (that i have trouble of remembering) but are all wonderful that i felt their genuine relationship with each other. There are also some chapters that shows Nick's situation that i really appreciate. It gave me an idea of detectives's complicated work and relationship with other police forces from other countries.

I also loved how the author introduced the wonderful places in Spain, from Seville to Marbella, to Puerto Banus and Estepona. This book reminds me of my own country Philippines. Yes, my country have all sort of crimes in every corner of it, but it doesn't mean you can't enjoy it nonetheless. Ms. Bolton is a Welsh, but it is evident that she liked Spain as of how she described it in the book. I wonder if she experienced these miserable things herself. Whether that is or isn't the case, i applaud the protagonist for her courage.

In the end, i would say that all countries have their flaws, and there are crimes everywhere. Whether you're in Spain, or in the Philippines, a tourist or a person looking for a place to permanently live in, a country's beauty will never be defined by crime rates and statistics.

I rate this book a 3 out of 4 stars. I would like to give it a perfect 4 but there are some typos, like forgotten commas, periods and quotation marks. The transitions are imperfect as well, for example, when a character is on the phone and when she's not, it's not explicitly said. I find it hard to read from one event to the other. There are also explicit sex scenes that i kept on skipping, maybe more than a fourth of the book. Some Spanish conversations are not translated into English so i had to know the meaning by context.

With all of that being said, i still recommend this book to the readers out there. It's wonderful, interesting, gripping especially at the last parts, and will give you an insight about the things that happened and is still happening in Spain. You can search "Operation Malaya" on the internet to know more of the events happened in the book. Kudos!

Something happened in Spain
View: on Bookshelves

Like Harmony Hills's review? Post a comment saying so!
“Fairy tales are more than true: not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten.” ― Neil Gaiman, Coraline
The Researcher
Currently Reading: Buried Threads
Bookshelf Size: 101
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-the-researcher.html
Latest Review: "Curve Couture" by H M Irwing
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by The Researcher »

Nice review! Sounds like a goog book. It is sad that most of it is filled with sex scenes.
What is the most special thing I did today- I was MYSELF. Happy and in love and unapologetically myself.
Latest Review: "Curve Couture" by H M Irwing
LadyClaire
Currently Reading: Keys to Tetouan
Bookshelf Size: 91
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ladyclaire.html
Latest Review: "My Trip To Adele" by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer

Post by LadyClaire »

A woman protagonist and a tour of Spain...sounds interesting. I think I'll skip this one because of the explicit scenes. Thanks for the great review, though.
To be without some of the things you want is an indispensable part of happiness.
-Bertrand Russel
Latest Review: "My Trip To Adele" by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer
bookiegalke
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookiegalke.html
Latest Review: One Way or Another by Mary J. Williams

Post by bookiegalke »

I don't know the Spanish language so if the language is used in the book without translation, I would find it difficult to read the book. however, the book does sound like it has an interesting storyline so other readers might find it interesting.
'if you encounter a man of rare intellect, you should ask him what books he reads'
Ralph Waldo Emerson
Harmony Hills
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 0734">Anne of Green Gables</a>

Post by Harmony Hills »

Hi The Researcher! Yes, i'm actually sad that there are those explicit, but you can skip it! :D

Hi LadyClaire! It's actually a good book so you might read it someday!

Hi bookiegalke! Just some are not translated, but you can read by context. I understood some because i have a background of Spanish. Haha. But i really do hope the author will do something about it. :/

Thank you all for commenting! Happy reading :)
“Fairy tales are more than true: not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten.” ― Neil Gaiman, Coraline
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I really don't know much about Spain or the crime there. This would be an interesting read in that sense. Thanks for the review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Harmony Hills

Post by Harmony Hills »

kandscreeley wrote:I really don't know much about Spain or the crime there. This would be an interesting read in that sense. Thanks for the review.
Hi kankandscreeley! Yes, this really is an interesting read and you'll know more about Spain. Thank you for commenting :)
Czarmaine AM
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-czarmaine-am.html
Latest Review: "Border Post 99" by Kedar Patankar

Post by Czarmaine AM »

Having this story set in Spain made it more interesting. I'd probably read this one too. Thank you for sharing this. Great review!
"Though my soul may set in darkness, it will rise in perfect light;
I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night."
(The Old Astronomer to His Pupil by Sarah Williams)
Latest Review: "Border Post 99" by Kedar Patankar
Harmony Hills

Post by Harmony Hills »

Czarmaine AM wrote:Having this story set in Spain made it more interesting. I'd probably read this one too. Thank you for sharing this. Great review!
Thank you for replying Czarmaine. Yes, the book actually is interesting because of it's setting. And after reading it, you'll wanted to go there yourself! :D
readandsmile
Currently Reading: Boom! A Revolting Situation
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-readandsmile.html
Latest Review: And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White

Post by readandsmile »

I like your review. I got some idea but the book sounds full of violence. i can't dare to read a book like that. Many some other time. A pretty cool review!
Reading is an antidote for...
Anger
Burdens
Discouragement
Fears
Hopelessness
Loneliness
Sadness
Tiredness
Harmony Hills

Post by Harmony Hills »

readandsmile wrote:I like your review. I got some idea but the book sounds full of violence. i can't dare to read a book like that. Many some other time. A pretty cool review!
Hi readandsmile. Thank you for reading my review. It's true that the book has some violence on it, but it also showed how Gabriella faced and survived them. Happy reading :)
juliusotinyo
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliusotinyo.html
Latest Review: Marrying a Playboy Billionaire by H M Irwing

Post by juliusotinyo »

Nice review, sounds like I might just give it a look.
Harmony Hills

Post by Harmony Hills »

juliusotinyo wrote:Nice review, sounds like I might just give it a look.
Thanks julius! Yes you should. :)

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”