Official Review: The Boy Who Sailed To Spain

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kelebogile Mbangi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 123
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kelebogile-mbangi.html
Latest Review: At Day's End, I'll Always Be Me by Jerry A. Greenberg

Official Review: The Boy Who Sailed To Spain

Post by Kelebogile Mbangi »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Boy Who Sailed To Spain" by Paul O'Garra.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Boy Who Sailed to Spain - this title offers the promise of adventure, hence I chose to review this book by Paul O'Garra. It is a short read under the other fiction genre.

Masuhun's family are Christians surrounded by a Muslim community. At first, they experience only slight persecution. Masuhun, being the intuitive boy he is, begins to take note that they are outsiders in their beloved hometown. His observations prove to be correct. His family is attacked by a mob. While trying to defend his family, Masuhun's father is beaten, and his attackers leave him on the brink of death. On his death bed, he appoints Masuhun to find “the place on the stone where the blessed mother comes” in order to ask for her protection. At just fifteen years of age, Masuhun leaves his North African home and embarks on a journey that turns him into a man.

Masuhun, despite enduring persecution from Muslims, acknowledges their good attributes. I really appreciated that about this book, it was fair. It showed that all groups, have both good and bad people. This balance was vital, as the book might have otherwise felt like mild propaganda.

The first chapter of the book had me engrossed. It is written simply and is descriptive. I was mesmerized by life in their North African hometown. I was taken through streets with cheerful Muslim merchants, who are ever smiling and ever kind, some in their own rough way. I wish the author's style of writing found in the first chapter had continued throughout the book. Sadly, the writing style soon became verbose. The descriptive element continued, although now, it was shrouded by unnecessary, highbrow diction. Slowly, my interest began to dwindle, by the last few chapters, reading this book had become a chore.

Again, I wish the author had kept a simple writing style. The message found in the book would have been clearer. The author points out how the abuse of technology is leading to our society’s moral decline. I found his demonstration of this message to be extreme, lewd scenes (which I was not expecting) where described to show the extent of this decline. The focus on Masuhun's quest was lost as this theme was developed, resulting in a disconnect from the protagonist.

To be fair, there are those who would enjoy this book. Free thinkers who enjoy new, radical ideas, would relish some of the concepts presented in the book. Therefore, I rate this book 2 out of 4 stars. I was not glued to the pages, but I also did have the need to know how Masuhun's journey ends. I recommend this book to those who enjoy challenging concepts about society.

The Boy Who Sailed To Spain
View: on Bookshelves

Like Kelebogile Mbangi's review? Post a comment saying so!
"And will you succeed?
Yes! You will, indeed!
(98 and 3/4 percent guaranteed.)
KID, YOU'LL MOVE MOUNTAINS!" - Dr. Seuss
LadyClaire
Currently Reading: Keys to Tetouan
Bookshelf Size: 91
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ladyclaire.html
Latest Review: "My Trip To Adele" by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer

Post by LadyClaire »

oops! I'm sorry that this book turned out so in the end, anyways, I'm glad you had some happy moments. Thanks for the review, Kel
To be without some of the things you want is an indispensable part of happiness.
-Bertrand Russel
Latest Review: "My Trip To Adele" by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

It's sad when a book starts off so promising but changes styles so quickly. Thanks for enduring on this one. I don't think it's for me.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
juliusotinyo
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliusotinyo.html
Latest Review: Marrying a Playboy Billionaire by H M Irwing

Post by juliusotinyo »

New concepts are​ my thing. I would love to have a look just to see what the author is about. Nice review
Kelebogile Mbangi
Currently Reading:

Thank you all for reading my review and commenting. Lol, I have judged you to be so Julius! I actually think this book is perfect for you, you should definitely read it!
"And will you succeed?
Yes! You will, indeed!
(98 and 3/4 percent guaranteed.)
KID, YOU'LL MOVE MOUNTAINS!" - Dr. Seuss
juliusotinyo
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliusotinyo.html
Latest Review: Marrying a Playboy Billionaire by H M Irwing

Post by juliusotinyo »

Kelebogile Mbangi wrote:Thank you all for reading my review and commenting. Lol, I have judged you to be so Julius! I actually think this book is perfect for you, you should definitely read it!
Hi,
Is that so... :shifty:
I'll pick it up as soon as I see it. Thanks

PS: How many pages is it? Am lazy that way :lol2:
Kelebogile Mbangi
Currently Reading:

:D you have me in stitches!
"And will you succeed?