Official Review: "Who You Calling 'Nappy Head'?"

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
CataclysmicKnight
Favorite Book: Ready Player One
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1693
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cataclysmicknight.html
Latest Review: Simple Man Simple Message by Mark Dobosz

Official Review: "Who You Calling 'Nappy Head'?"

Post by CataclysmicKnight »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of ""Who You Calling 'Nappy Head'?"" by Talita Bay.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

What if your hair could talk? Would it be your best friend, happy to hang out with you because of how well you treat it? Or would it be irate, screaming at you for your terrible treatment of it? That's the basis of "Who You Calling 'Nappy Head'?" by Talita Bay, and learning about the awful, inhumane treatments hair goes through from the perspective of the hair itself can change how anyone feels about their hair.

"Who You Calling 'Nappy Head'?" tells the story of Natural, a head of hair belonging to an unnamed girl from her birth to adulthood. The book begins with Natural's birth, and soon after she forms a bond with the girl she's attached to (a girl she refers to as "friend"). She, like any one of us as a child, loved hearing her mother tell her stories as a kid and thought of herself as Princess Natural Hair with the strength of Samson's hair (Mighty Hair!). Unfortunately, their relationship was changed forever when kids at school started calling her Nappy Head. When her friend gets home she immediately binds her in elastic bands and days later she's brought before "judge hairdresser" and things go downhill from there.

After her first visit to the hairdresser, Natural is put through all sorts of horrible torture treatments over numerous years trying to get her under control. Many treatments are given their own chapters, such as The Rack which talks about braiding to punish her for her "frizzy behavior". Then there's Burned at the Stake in which a heated straightening comb is used. Natural says this is especially awful as it's done in her own room, a place she always considered positive and safe with her friend. All the while, Natural details the horrific treatments, comparing them to various torture treatments used on people through the ages.

This short book (60 pages according to Amazon) is funny, unique and does a fantastic job of showing how badly different ordinary, everyday treatments of hair really are. While the book covers some more elaborate treatments (hair dye and salon hair relaxer treatments, for example), there are also things many folks use on a regular basis (such as using a hair straightener or blow-dryer). Natural's torture is described in such a way that it's easy to empathize with it and never want to hurt your hair again!

While the book is aimed at women, since in general women are the ones most pressured to make their hair into something it's not, I fell in love with the humor and concept of this book and had to pick it up to review. I liked that Talita did mention a few times in the book that men care about hair too; in the Preface, for example, Talita points out the wigs men wore in court and in government (like George Washington!). While I was never one to care much treating my hair, I did always love having my hair long and felt it helped give me the "nerdy computer programmer" look. I kept it even though people often assumed I was a woman when they saw me from behind, and even kept it when I received the surprise that my hairline was receding. Hair was also a big part of my early relationship with my now-fiancée; we were in a long-distance relationship and she told me that she thought shaved heads looked good on guys, so in the middle of the night (long after midnight) I cut my long hair and spent over an hour buzzing and shaving it. It was the first time in as long as I could remember that I didn't have long hair, and it was liberating!

"Who You Calling 'Nappy Head'?" was the perfect length to not get repetitive or boring, and it maintained fresh, humorous and oddly-relatable the entire time. It was also perfectly edited and easy to read, even for folks like me who have never been to a salon, although people who frequent them will get even more out of the book. My official rating is 4 out of 4 stars.

"Who You Calling 'Nappy Head'?"
View: on Bookshelves

Like CataclysmicKnight's review? Post a comment saying so!
Nothing is true, everything is permitted.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

That's definitely a unique take on a story. I don't think I've heard of a story from the hair's point of view. Sounds entertaining. Thanks!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Jaime Lync
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jaime-lync.html
Latest Review: You Are A Christian. NOW WHAT? by James Rondinone

Post by Jaime Lync »

This sounds so cool. I'm always grateful when authors do not try to stretch out the story longer than it has to be. 60 pages is enough for me.
Afuglsan
Currently Reading: The Masked City
Bookshelf Size: 5445
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-afuglsan.html
Latest Review: "STARLESS and Bible Black" by Gerard DiLeo

Post by Afuglsan »

Oh, my! This book sounds hilarious! I can only imagine if hair could talk (granted, I don't own any heating utensils, but my hair is subjected to ponytails a lot.)!! This is such a unique idea, I'll have to read the book. Thanks for the great review.
Latest Review: "STARLESS and Bible Black" by Gerard DiLeo
LadyPudu
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ladypudu.html
Latest Review: "Heaven and Earth" by Arturo Riojas

Post by LadyPudu »

As an African I can agree to this completely! I've endured so much chemical burn trying to get my hair "under control" this is a must read for me.
Latest Review: "Heaven and Earth" by Arturo Riojas
Haifa_books
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 14666">Act Like a Lady, Think Like a Man</a>
Currently Reading: The Power of Now
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by Haifa_books »

Well, i think that's so funny that the hair can talk
on other hand it's a good book to read in a short time it's only 60 pages and that's better thx for yr reviewing?
Abby12
Currently Reading: Yesterday
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Abby12 »

Awesome review! I love that you added your own personal experience in it too.
Elle Howard
Currently Reading: If life stinks get your head outta your buts
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elle-howard.html
Latest Review: And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White
Reading Device: 1400698987

Post by Elle Howard »

I was scrolling and the title of this book caught my eye. I have tortured my own hair for years so I could relate to it. Your excellent review helped seal the deal. I have added this book to my shelf and very much look forward to reading it.
Any book that helps a child to form a habit of reading, to make reading one of his deep and continuing needs, is good for him.
–Maya Angelou
MsTri
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Miranda Ann Markley
Favorite Book: The Spirit Seeds Book 1
Currently Reading: the Secret of Safe Passage
Bookshelf Size: 1030
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mstri.html
Latest Review: Suddenly Free, Vol. 1 by Yvette Carmon Davis
Reading Device: B07HZHJGY7
fav_author_id: 225682

Post by MsTri »

Wonderful review. As a woman of color who has gone through many of the "treatments" you mention, plus many more (the jheri curl and straw sets come to mind), I am SO intrigued by the idea of the hair giving its viewpoint on these things. I wonder what MY hair thinks of being loc'd and only having to endure washings and monthly twistings! In any case, I will definitely get a copy of this. Thanks so much for the introduction.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”