Review of Green

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Nenye Charles
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 112
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nenye-charles.html
Latest Review: Relieved by Cheryl Richardson

Review of Green

Post by Nenye Charles »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Green" by Dan Tawczynski.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

I listened to the audio version of this book and must confess that I enjoyed reading it, as I learned a lot of lessons. “Green” by Dan Tawczynski is a rare book that discusses the beauty of nature, farming, fishing, pets, and patriotism, encapsulating the author’s childhood experiences right into adulthood. It also tells the tale of divorce, sexual abuse, and Dan’s courage in opening up about it—a secret he didn’t let people know until this book.

People wondered why Dan opted for farming, especially when there were other viable methods of employment. After all, he had a degree in English and would have become wealthier had he chosen better opportunities. If you'd love to find out his reasons for sticking to farming, get a copy of this book. I love how detailed the author is while describing nature. His love for loyal pets is unparalleled, as seen in Osama, the rooster, then Mitzy, Murphy and Sandy, the dogs. Dan discussed how he spent time at the little brook, which he described as a great place to learn about life, love, and nature untouched.

Being the first time I’m reading of sexual abuse from a male uncle to his nephew, I can’t help but wonder how many people out there do not wish to speak out about their abuser. I believe that speaking out will help the abused begin to heal from the pain and trauma.

Dan is a strong man who continued farming despite facing arson on his farm and other natural disasters. He encountered lots of losses, ranging from cattle, donkeys, farm produce, and other animals. I enjoyed the story of how animals get to speak directly with God on Christmas Eve.

I didn’t find anything to dislike about this book, as it contains valuable lessons. I equally learned of the challenges faced in farming, ranging from natural disasters to the market, weather, arsonists, and so on. I got to understand that farming isn’t about getting the benefits, but about how connected one is to the land.

For the reasons mentioned above, I rate it 5 out of 5 stars, as there’s no reason to deduct any stars. The author’s narration is top-notch, and I totally enjoyed listening to the book. I recommend it to those who are victims of sexual abuse and wish to seek healing from the trauma. Again, readers who appreciate the beauty of nature will find it interesting.

Green
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Julius Peters
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julius-peters.html
Latest Review: Quando Dormo by Edward Izzi

Post by Julius Peters »

Dan's bravery in opening up about his experience with sexual abuse is incredible. His story sheds more light on a topic often shrouded in silence and stigma. "Geeen" encourages victims to speak out and begin their journey to healing, making it a significant read for many.
Nwachukwu Somto
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nwachukwu-somto.html
Latest Review: Embrace the Challenge by Akwasi O Ofori

Post by Nwachukwu Somto »

The way you highlighted the lessons learned from his journey and the importance of speaking out about abuse was very impactful. Your review makes it clear how multifaceted and inspiring this book is.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”