Review by Starving Author -- Hello, My Love by Evy Journey

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Starving Author
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-starving-author.html
Latest Review: Book Blueprint by Jacqui Pretty

Review by Starving Author -- Hello, My Love by Evy Journey

Post by Starving Author »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Hello, My Love" by Evy Journey.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Book review: Between Two Worlds Bk. 1: Hello, My Love By Evy Journey
A modern fairy tale inspired by Jane Austen’s classic novel “Pride and Prejudice” tells the tale of two lovers who are meant to be. Who would have thought an intelligent an attractive law student would ever fall in love with a rich playboy who just so happens to be engaged? Opposites attract as the two develop mutual feelings for each other. Interwoven in this piece of women’s fiction is literary fiction and realistic romance.

I was quite disappointed with Hello, My Love as a book. Seeing that the book is under one of my favorite genres-romance, I was looking forward to losing myself in the world of love, passion, and femininity. Unfortunately, I found the book to be rather dull. As a result, I find very little to praise. However, I still commend Journey for giving her characters at least a slight bit of personality and ending the story with a happy ending. Overall, I must say that there is still plenty of room for improvement. To begin with, Journey needs to provide more distinction amongst her characters. For instance she needs to show how they are unique. What are their strengths and weaknesses? What are their likes and dislikes? She also needs to display more individuality. The plot is also weak and undeveloped.

Upon looking at the entire book as a whole, I come to the conclusion that Journey’s efforts as a writer fall flat. Her most glaring weaknesses include: her poor quality writing, failure to show passion in the romance between two main characters, minimal details, and an over simplistic plot. Her poor quality writing was what stood out to me the most. This book is written on a third grade reading level, simple words and simple ideas. Moreover, her level of writing also reflects that of a third grader. Her poor story development serves as an indication. I hope to say that she is capable of producing better quality work. I would not want to see her waste any writing talent that she has that I know nothing about.

Now, the biggest disappointment of this book was its strong sense of realism. I found that it takes too much excitement and joy that should be derived from reading a romance novel. I believe the book would hold more promise if Journey had endowed more idealism. Moreover, I do cast my favors towards the everlasting bond between her two main characters: Greg and Elise.

I must give this book a rating of two out of four stars for the reason that it had failed to meet my expectations. On the other hand, I believe that this book would be most appealing to an audience of young adult females. They might be able to relate to some of Elise’s life circumstances.

Hello, My Love
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes | on Smashwords

Like Starving Author's review? Post a comment saying so!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”