Official Review: Quest to the unknown by Annelies George

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Jaime Lync
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jaime-lync.html
Latest Review: You Are A Christian. NOW WHAT? by James Rondinone

Official Review: Quest to the unknown by Annelies George

Post by Jaime Lync »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Quest to the unknown" by Annelies George.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Quest to the Unknown by Annelies George is book one in the Jessie Golden 21st Century Earth Series. This other fiction novel can easily be described as an intriguing blend of the crime, romance, and supernatural genres. According to George’s LinkedIn page, the series is “an apocalyptic series of five,” and although the first three books are completed, book one is the only one that has been published thus far.

As suggested by the name of the series, the protagonist of the story is Jessie Golden. Miss. Golden, an up-and-coming Dutch journalist for a business magazine, recently ended a fifteen year old relationship after she and her partner simultaneously discovered they cheated on each other. It doesn’t take long for her to start dating Carlos Gomez, business mogul, and playboy. However, Carlos is not the only person who is attracted to Jessie. Is Carlos the right person for Jessie?

Moreover, when Jessie finds a folder full of information on a mysterious miracle healer named Nancy and her son Paul, she feels it imperative to further research these two strangers. Her quest leads her to various persons in different countries. Throughout her journey, our protagonist has a few supernatural encounters that lead her to question her worldview and her motives for seeking out Nancy and Paul.

This novel has a few strong points and flaws worth mentioning. The author does a great job creating suspense throughout the story. The book even ends with the prologue to the second book in the series. I was interested in finding out what happens next. Unfortunately, George’s use of foreshadowing sometimes detracted from the mystery element of the plot. Also, even though there were quite a few number of characters in the novel, most of them were pretty well developed. However, it seemed as if George was trying too hard to get me emotionally attached to key characters. There were several 'heart-wrenching' sob stories throughout the novel, but I promise you, my heart was not wrenched. One of the sob stories was repeated about three to four times, but I was never emotionally invested in the story. It would be remiss of me not to say that this is a subjective opinion. There should be some readers that are touched by the emotional aspect of this novel. Fortunately, I was able to enjoy the book because it was moderately paced, the plot was intriguing, and there was enough suspense to keep me turning the pages.

My copy of Quest to the Unknown has a prologue, twenty-six chapters, epilogue and it also features the prologue of book two in the series. The book is approximately 350 pages long and it is virtually free of grammatical errors. I cannot say the same about the formatting of the novel. George uses many scenes to construct each chapter. Unfortunately, there is not usually a smooth transition from one scene to the other. Numerous times I had to reread portions of the book because it seemed as if I had skipped a paragraph. If there was some sort of marking that outlined the beginning and end of a scene, I am sure that I would not have had any issues with the format.

In conclusion, I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. I highly recommend this novel to everyone who is interested in the amalgamation of the romance, crime, and supernatural genres.

Quest to the unknown
View: on Bookshelves

Like Jaime Lync's review? Post a comment saying so!
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by Amagine »

This book seems quite interesting and I love the blend of different genres.

Great Review! ?
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I don't think this sounds like me, but I do appreciate the review. Thanks for sharing with us.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Jaime Lync
Currently Reading:

Post by Jaime Lync »

Thanks Amagine and Kandscreeley for reading and commenting. I had to be objective when rating this because I was leaning towards giving it 2 stars.
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

Hi, Jaime. What is it that makes authors write a series, instead of just one book? Just knowing something is part of a series already makes me wary.

I understand the difficulty of choosing between 2 and 3 stars, especially with the pros and cons you mentioned.

Thanks for an objective review.
Czarmaine AM
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-czarmaine-am.html
Latest Review: "Border Post 99" by Kedar Patankar

Post by Czarmaine AM »

I actually thought that you would give this a 2 star rating after I've read the part where you said that the "heart wrenching sob stories" didn't make your heart wrenched. :lol: Thank you for sharing this Jaime. You've given this book a fair judgment.
"Though my soul may set in darkness, it will rise in perfect light;
I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night."
(The Old Astronomer to His Pupil by Sarah Williams)
Latest Review: "Border Post 99" by Kedar Patankar
Titus Michael
Currently Reading: River's Remorse
Bookshelf Size: 47

Post by Titus Michael »

For me I would have recommended a 2 star rating but three is still OK. Nice review.
ritah
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 03345">The Darziods' Stone</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 184
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ritah.html
Latest Review: The Secrets To Living A Fantastic Life... by Dr. Allen Lycka & Harriet Tinka

Post by ritah »

Sounds like a good read, thanks for the review.
Jaime Lync
Currently Reading:

Post by Jaime Lync »

Miriam Molina wrote:Hi, Jaime. What is it that makes authors write a series, instead of just one book? Just knowing something is part of a series already makes me wary.

I understand the difficulty of choosing between 2 and 3 stars, especially with the pros and cons you mentioned.

Thanks for an objective review.
Thanks for reading and commenting Miriam. I think that some authors write series because of the financial advantage while others really have more than one story with the same characters ( for example The Chronicles of Narnia)

-- 07 Aug 2017, 06:37 --
Czarmaine AM wrote:I actually thought that you would give this a 2 star rating after I've read the part where you said that the "heart wrenching sob stories" didn't make your heart wrenched. :lol: Thank you for sharing this Jaime. You've given this book a fair judgment.
Thanks Czarmaine. I really struggled with the rating but I thought about it and felt that my emotional response was subjective and others may truly appreciate the heart wrenching sob stories.
juliusotinyo
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliusotinyo.html
Latest Review: Marrying a Playboy Billionaire by H M Irwing

Post by juliusotinyo »

A blend of genres, I'll probably check it out just to see how the author weaves it. Great review.
Jaime Lync
Currently Reading:

Post by Jaime Lync »

Thanks for reading and commenting Juliosotinyo.
Darakhshan Nazir
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-darakhshan-nazir.html
Latest Review: "Twisted Threads" by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Darakhshan Nazir »

I love supernatural .. Thank you for such a nice review ??❤❤
Do Read And Comment On My Latest Review!!
Latest Review: "Twisted Threads" by Kaylin McFarren
Jaime Lync
Currently Reading:

Post by Jaime Lync »

Thanks for reading and commenting Darakhshan. The supernatural does play a vital role in this book. It does not permeate the story fully but it is definitely there.
Vickie Noel
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 86063">Are you afraid of the dark</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 868
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vickie-noel.html
Latest Review: Modern Day Cowboy by Nathaniel Sheft
Reading Device: B01C9JZEBO

Post by Vickie Noel »

I love the book cover but I don't think the plot can really pull me in if I read it; it doesn't appear incredibly unique and I get why the rating was a bit more tasking. Thanks for your objectivity in delivery.
Stop waiting for what you WANT, start working with what you HAVE. --- Seth Cain
Never be bullied into questioning your own credibility. --- Vickie Noel
Jaime Lync
Currently Reading:

Post by Jaime Lync »

Vickie Noel wrote: 09 Apr 2018, 19:02 I love the book cover but I don't think the plot can really pull me in if I read it; it doesn't appear incredibly unique and I get why the rating was a bit more tasking. Thanks for your objectivity in delivery.
Thanks for your comment on this review. I remember reading this book became a little arduous after a while.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”