Forum Navigation: Forum Index » Books and Reading » Reviews and Discussions about Specific Books and Series » Other Fiction Forum

Want FREE books and FREE Amazon gift cards?

Each day we announce via email a book that is either FREE or on a temporary sale at a great discount price. These are not your average free books. These are incredible insider deals on well-rated books. OnlineBookClub.org is where tomorrow's bestsellers are born. We also give away over $1,000 per month of free Amazon gift cards in free daily giveaways, exclusively to those signed up to these announcements! Hurry, sign up free now:

Sorry, this proves you are human.

Official Review: Quest to the unknown by Annelies George

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.

Official Review: Quest to the unknown by Annelies George

Post Number:#1 by Jaime Lync
» 01 Aug 2017, 01:28

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Quest to the unknown" by Annelies George.]

Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Review by Jaime Lync
Share This Review

Quest to the Unknown by Annelies George is book one in the Jessie Golden 21st Century Earth Series. This other fiction novel can easily be described as an intriguing blend of the crime, romance, and supernatural genres. According to George’s LinkedIn page, the series is “an apocalyptic series of five,” and although the first three books are completed, book one is the only one that has been published thus far.

As suggested by the name of the series, the protagonist of the story is Jessie Golden. Miss. Golden, an up-and-coming Dutch journalist for a business magazine, recently ended a fifteen year old relationship after she and her partner simultaneously discovered they cheated on each other. It doesn’t take long for her to start dating Carlos Gomez, business mogul, and playboy. However, Carlos is not the only person who is attracted to Jessie. Is Carlos the right person for Jessie?

Moreover, when Jessie finds a folder full of information on a mysterious miracle healer named Nancy and her son Paul, she feels it imperative to further research these two strangers. Her quest leads her to various persons in different countries. Throughout her journey, our protagonist has a few supernatural encounters that lead her to question her worldview and her motives for seeking out Nancy and Paul.

This novel has a few strong points and flaws worth mentioning. The author does a great job creating suspense throughout the story. The book even ends with the prologue to the second book in the series. I was interested in finding out what happens next. Unfortunately, George’s use of foreshadowing sometimes detracted from the mystery element of the plot. Also, even though there were quite a few number of characters in the novel, most of them were pretty well developed. However, it seemed as if George was trying too hard to get me emotionally attached to key characters. There were several 'heart-wrenching' sob stories throughout the novel, but I promise you, my heart was not wrenched. One of the sob stories was repeated about three to four times, but I was never emotionally invested in the story. It would be remiss of me not to say that this is a subjective opinion. There should be some readers that are touched by the emotional aspect of this novel. Fortunately, I was able to enjoy the book because it was moderately paced, the plot was intriguing, and there was enough suspense to keep me turning the pages.

My copy of Quest to the Unknown has a prologue, twenty-six chapters, epilogue and it also features the prologue of book two in the series. The book is approximately 350 pages long and it is virtually free of grammatical errors. I cannot say the same about the formatting of the novel. George uses many scenes to construct each chapter. Unfortunately, there is not usually a smooth transition from one scene to the other. Numerous times I had to reread portions of the book because it seemed as if I had skipped a paragraph. If there was some sort of marking that outlined the beginning and end of a scene, I am sure that I would not have had any issues with the format.

In conclusion, I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. I highly recommend this novel to everyone who is interested in the amalgamation of the romance, crime, and supernatural genres.

Quest to the unknown
View: on Bookshelves

Like Jaime Lync's review? Post a comment saying so!
Jaime Lync's Latest Review: "Fate: the Psychiatrist" by John M Giles
Jaime Lync

Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 56 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 12 Books
Goal Completion: 441%

Did you know?

Once you join the forums and log in you will get to enjoy a very ad-reduced experience. It's easy and completely free!

Re: Official Review: Quest to the unknown by Annelies George

Post Number:#2 by Amagine
» 06 Aug 2017, 14:34

This book seems quite interesting and I love the blend of different genres.

Great Review! 💗
Secret To Writing A Bestseller

You write.
You stop dreaming of writing.
You stop talking about writing.
Stop wishing you were writing.
And you write.
Amagine's Latest Review: "Tales From A Nobody" by G.C. Cook
Amagine

Favorite Author: James Patterson
Favorite Book: Writing for Children and Teens
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 687 books

View Reviewer Page
Reading Device: Fire HD 7 Tablet
2017 Reading Goal: 400 Books
Goal Completion: 42%

Post Number:#3 by kandscreeley
» 06 Aug 2017, 14:38

I don't think this sounds like me, but I do appreciate the review. Thanks for sharing with us.
“There is no friend as loyal as a book.”
― Ernest Hemingway
kandscreeley

Currently Reading: Luna
Bookshelf Size: 87 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 100 Books
Goal Completion: 70%

Post Number:#4 by Jaime Lync
» 06 Aug 2017, 14:46

Thanks Amagine and Kandscreeley for reading and commenting. I had to be objective when rating this because I was leaning towards giving it 2 stars.
Jaime Lync

Currently Reading:

View Reviewer Page

Post Number:#5 by Miriam Molina
» 06 Aug 2017, 17:37

Hi, Jaime. What is it that makes authors write a series, instead of just one book? Just knowing something is part of a series already makes me wary.

I understand the difficulty of choosing between 2 and 3 stars, especially with the pros and cons you mentioned.

Thanks for an objective review.
Miriam Molina's Latest Review: "Shattered Perfection" by Heather Guimond
Miriam Molina

Currently Reading: Strong Heart
Bookshelf Size: 429 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 36 Books
Goal Completion: 100%

Post Number:#6 by Czarmaine AM
» 07 Aug 2017, 01:40

I actually thought that you would give this a 2 star rating after I've read the part where you said that the "heart wrenching sob stories" didn't make your heart wrenched. :lol: Thank you for sharing this Jaime. You've given this book a fair judgment.
"Though my soul may set in darkness, it will rise in perfect light;
I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night."
(The Old Astronomer to His Pupil by Sarah Williams)
Czarmaine AM

Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 30 Books
Goal Completion: 123%

Post Number:#7 by Titus Michael
» 07 Aug 2017, 05:39

For me I would have recommended a 2 star rating but three is still OK. Nice review.
Titus Michael

Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38 books
2017 Reading Goal: 5 Books
Goal Completion: 260%

Post Number:#8 by ritah
» 07 Aug 2017, 05:51

Sounds like a good read, thanks for the review.
ritah

Favorite Book: My trip to Adele
Currently Reading: Sylvio: Past and Present
Bookshelf Size: 41 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 100 Books
Goal Completion: 5%

Post Number:#9 by Jaime Lync
» 07 Aug 2017, 06:34

Miriam Molina wrote:Hi, Jaime. What is it that makes authors write a series, instead of just one book? Just knowing something is part of a series already makes me wary.

I understand the difficulty of choosing between 2 and 3 stars, especially with the pros and cons you mentioned.

Thanks for an objective review.

Thanks for reading and commenting Miriam. I think that some authors write series because of the financial advantage while others really have more than one story with the same characters ( for example The Chronicles of Narnia)

-- 07 Aug 2017, 06:37 --

Czarmaine AM wrote:I actually thought that you would give this a 2 star rating after I've read the part where you said that the "heart wrenching sob stories" didn't make your heart wrenched. :lol: Thank you for sharing this Jaime. You've given this book a fair judgment.

Thanks Czarmaine. I really struggled with the rating but I thought about it and felt that my emotional response was subjective and others may truly appreciate the heart wrenching sob stories.
Jaime Lync

Currently Reading:

View Reviewer Page

Post Number:#10 by juliusotinyo
» 11 Aug 2017, 13:28

A blend of genres, I'll probably check it out just to see how the author weaves it. Great review.
juliusotinyo's Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
juliusotinyo

Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 17 Books
Goal Completion: 100%

Post Number:#11 by Jaime Lync
» 11 Aug 2017, 13:36

Thanks for reading and commenting Juliosotinyo.
Jaime Lync

Currently Reading:

View Reviewer Page

Post Number:#12 by Darakhshan Nazir
» 11 Aug 2017, 13:46

I love supernatural .. Thank you for such a nice review 💕💕❤❤
"The night wasn't dark, it was her soul"
-Darakhshan Nazir
Darakhshan Nazir's Latest Review: "The Watchmen's Chronicle" by Michael Tsaphah
Darakhshan Nazir

Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 20 Books
Goal Completion: 40%

Post Number:#13 by Jaime Lync
» 11 Aug 2017, 13:48

Thanks for reading and commenting Darakhshan. The supernatural does play a vital role in this book. It does not permeate the story fully but it is definitely there.
Jaime Lync

Currently Reading:

View Reviewer Page