Official Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
SomaKenya
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-somakenya.html
Latest Review: Mixed Blessings by J.M. Muse

Re: Official Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by SomaKenya »

Georgia Lyonhyde wrote: 18 Oct 2018, 15:40
SomaKenya wrote: 18 Oct 2018, 02:29
Georgia Lyonhyde wrote: 05 Oct 2018, 18:38 The reviews for this book have been outstanding. Yours is no exception. I am so excited to begin reading it for myself. For some reason, I find myself thinking about another novel, Shantaram, just because of all the emotions that are stirred and the fact that the main character has done some bad deeds but has to seek redemption.

I hope I find the novel as wonderful as you did.

Wow Georgia, your comment sounds like you are a good reader and reviewer, I would like to read your review. You'll surely enjoy McDowell, take it from a person who has read it too
Aw thank you. I have literally just finished the book and am putting the finishing touches to my review. I really loved it and I stand by my comment about the comparison. It's a wonderful story although I wish there was more detail in the final few chapters. I think we could have seen a bigger display of emotions from Sophie especially.

I couldn't agree more,I would have loved to see the tale of those two beautiful souls, if only that Gibson guy was a reality! Glad you enjoyed it, it was FANTASTIC
serendipity 27
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 286
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-serendipity-27.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by serendipity 27 »

This book definitely had my emotions everywhere as well. You wonder if, in the end, he was redeemed. Great review!
Give me the courage to get through this week...or at least a big bar of chocolate :D
Emjopin
Favorite Author: E.W. Johnson M.D.
Favorite Book: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci
Currently Reading: Lost Secret of the Ancient Ones
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emjopin.html
Latest Review: The Unbound Soul by Richard L. Haight
fav_author_id: 196577

Post by Emjopin »

CatInTheHat's book review perks up an aura ... McDowell surges an urge to immerse in each leaf of the book. An expose of Strong men hiding behind iron masks but deeply suffering from identity crises as well as Weaklings who were purged and never given the chance to assert what is right and good. The demolition team press corps features statesmen as great or evil according to how they are bribed or gagged. Literature and fiction books like McDowell is the only front-line left in a today's war-front between Truth and Spoof.
"There is a quite vulnerable thin line between life and death. All we have is fear to perish or FAITH, LOVE and LIVE " by Emjopin.
Coolton
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Coolton »

This is story told in two parts. The first half introduces us to our protagonist who has no redeeming qualities. An arrogant surgeon who likes to climb mountains and cheat on his wife. Yes, he’s a humanitarian but he’s also a man who causually tosses out the idea that his son should slept with his step sisters but only if he uses protection. As a reader you will be hard press to find any of the characters likable or sympathetic. I couldn’t stomach the wife who wouldn’t stand up for herself. Or the McDowell’s daughter’s who each seemed to choose partners with similar qualities as dear old dad. It’s a rare find in a work of fiction which adds to the intrigue of the second half of the book. I found myself not really caring about the title character or his journey through the second half. I was more interested in the secondary characters. I think the book would have been better as a series. Overall it was a good read. But at times I wanted to throw something.
segelondon-2018
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by segelondon-2018 »

This book of Mc Rowell Cole was fantastic. That really show us the way of life and how to interact with person including our enemies to have relationship with them and to show love with them.l will review it good,fine,courage and well perfect.l will also recommended it for read.
sarahmarlowe
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: One Second After
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 191
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarahmarlowe.html
Latest Review: The best therapy by Jim LaPierre LCSW, CCS
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by sarahmarlowe »

You are right that this is a story of two sides of one man. When I read McDowell, I despised Hiram in the first half of the book. Redemption is certainly a prominent topic in this novel. I think he did find redemption, although I don't think he was knowingly looking for it.

Great review!
sarahmarlowe
You can spend your time however you want, but you can spend it only once. :eusa-think:
Fozia-Bajwa
Currently Reading: The Newton Code
Bookshelf Size: 263
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fozia-bajwa.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by Fozia-Bajwa »

McDowell by William H. Coles is a story of a person with a strange character who does unexpected things at special moments of his life.Thanks for giving concentration to both parts of the book and for a thorough review.
Ma Cheryll
Currently Reading: Grace Revealed
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ma-cheryll.html
Latest Review: Beneath the Muscle by Lauren Powers

Post by Ma Cheryll »

I find this book truly amazing! So deserving of being #BOTM for the Month of October👏👏👏
It’s multi-genre and you’ll feel a lot of different emotions as you read through every page. I hated the main character, Hiram McDowell, right from the beginning, just like everyone does. But one great thing i like about this story is the fact that it showed an element of redemption. It makes the readers see that no matter how bad things or situations may seem to be, God can turn it into something good♥️He makes use of the oddest circumstances and twist it up for our good🤗That’s what i saw, it’s my take out from this book. I hope you’d see it too👍 Congratulations to the author William H. Coles on the #BOTD🙌
Last edited by Gravy on 07 Nov 2018, 21:21, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: soliciting comments
SummerWine
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-summerwine.html
Latest Review: It's Hard to Be a Vampire by Viktoria Faust

Post by SummerWine »

I absolutely love such a complex main character! Your review made me very curious about this book. So, thank you!
Van112
Currently Reading: How To Fall In Love
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vivianne-nat.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by Van112 »

The title is not as interesting as it looked in the cover photo but if you read into the review, you'll realize that there is so much to learn from his story which is about life. And we all need a little bit of his story in our lives. Such a great book to recommend to people. Congratulations on being one of the book of the month.
:techie-studyingbrown:

“I don't think all writers are sad, she said. I think it's the other way around- all sad people write.” - Langleav
stopherwere
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by stopherwere »

William H Cole's in this his book"Hiram Mcdowell" takes us through a long journey of life and the ups and downs that comes with it...we may all have our histories and past events that defines them but surely some of us have ones that has twists and turns worse than a rollercoaster ride, William banks on suspense in this his story full of unforgiving twist of events a story that readers will find intriuge and interest with the flawed surgeon himself leading the unfolding from the front, a very convincing and interesting review, thanks.
AnnaKathleen
Currently Reading: Kill Them All
Bookshelf Size: 1085
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-annakathleen.html
Latest Review: End of the Last Great Kingdom by Victor Rose

Post by AnnaKathleen »

Wonderful review, I loved seeing how thorough and concise you worded your thoughts. I think this sounds like an incredible read. Honestly, I can't wait to read it. Not to mention, from your review alone, it sounds like this book could make a compelling movie.
"I became darkness, shadow and wind." - Sarah J. Maas A Court of Mist and Fury
rogerthat
Favorite Book: Who Told You That You Were Naked?
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rogerthat.html
Latest Review: Who Told You That You Were Naked? by William Combs

Post by rogerthat »

This book has many lessons for me to learn. I'm looking forward to read it.
aolayide
Currently Reading: Are Your Kids Naked Online?
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aolayide.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by aolayide »

This is a job well done! Both on the part of the writer and the reviewer!

Wow! Guilt and redemption of a surgeon... That sounds catchy. This review makes the book more appealing and I would love to know the things Hiram did and how he redeemed himself.

Great Review!
SangeethaNarayan
Currently Reading: The Prophet
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sangeethanarayan.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

Post by SangeethaNarayan »

An awesome review of a really thorough book. As you said yourself, this book has everything and talks about all emotions known to mankind. The author took his time crafting this novel. Definitely deserved 4 out of 4. And I too considered Hiram to be narcissistic at various times

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”