Official Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Fati-bola
Currently Reading: Rogue Captain
Bookshelf Size: 329
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fati-bola.html
Latest Review: Murder in Memory by Mike Thorne
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Re: Official Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by Fati-bola »

I agree with the reviewer completely. McDowell appealed to my emotions as it tugged at my rational mind as well. It's truly an in-person story realistically depicted and well crafted. Thanks for this great review.
Meritus
Favorite Book: Fifty Shades of Grey
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-meritus.html
Latest Review: Devilish by Tricia Barr

Post by Meritus »

Its an interesting review with characters that one can relate to. I definitely want it
Katerina Katapodi
Favorite Author: Rin Chupeco
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 3829

Post by Katerina Katapodi »

This book of William Coles is very rich in content and scenes, besides having to give many messages to readers on life, and some people, whose life becomes ''curious'' to know; especially people who love adventure and horror, this book of variety of facts and truths of life, can help anybody. At least, besides keeping reader in suspense some times, it's interesting in terms of vocabulary and successful descriptions..
Actually the hero ''McDowell'' does not actually represent the vast majority of people, but it just reveals, to what actions one may proceed, to be satisfied in life..And living the consequences of course..a continual path of life, is reflected by hero in this book: Money, career and power; all people love money, but in what way(-s): It's sure that McDowell is talented, but he takes advantage from facts, so that he looks as if he abuses other people through them, in order to achieve his goals! Yes, his family with first wife, is almost ruined and his children too are by far involved in his life; he feels this way, like ''being drowned'' in his options and mistakes, but he cannot stop.
Some times, in the course of his life, and adventures, it seems he's lost his orientation in life. Of course, he experience glory, from his achievements as scientist, but he seems to sacrifice many moral-social values, in order to go even higher, and meets his goals. He just lives ''moments'' for 'moments', thus what life brings everytime, and he doesn't hesitate to do anything he likes, a kind of amoralist, who doesn't actually believes in values, but instead, he lives just to live, without thinking too much!-And we mention this, because this man is also a scientist, he's learnt to ''think'' as it's supposed..in advance if so!..He just follows path of life, and to where it takes him, but one would wonder, whether he can lead his life,or left to be taken by it, to somewhere else, than he initially believes and believed. Is he a selfish person, or is his options in life are based on loving adventure, and not being afraid of anything, not taking account of his family and children or so. A game with destiny rather, and until end of book, reader will be curious and interested in knowing, what end will be..
The fact of treating women as sexual objects, show a rather hard and immoral person, who treats women this way for pleasure or just win the game with them.. The fact also he cheats his third wife, may tell a lot on his personality. And the end is interesting enough..say so for reader, rich scenes, written in dialogues of rich vocabulary, so in the end only, can a reader draw his own conclusions..
I give 4 Star to this book!...
Georgia Lyonhyde
Currently Reading: A Tale For The Time Being
Bookshelf Size: 123
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-georgia-lyonhyde.html
Latest Review: Snatched Up to Heaven! by Jemima Paul and Arvind Paul

Post by Georgia Lyonhyde »

The reviews for this book have been outstanding. Yours is no exception. I am so excited to begin reading it for myself. For some reason, I find myself thinking about another novel, Shantaram, just because of all the emotions that are stirred and the fact that the main character has done some bad deeds but has to seek redemption.

I hope I find the novel as wonderful as you did.
You know you’ve read a good book when you turn the last page and feel a little as if you have lost a friend.
–Paul Sweeney :tiphat:
Adesam449
Currently Reading: Invisible Martyrs
Bookshelf Size: 9

Post by Adesam449 »

Hiram also known as McDowell exiled himself from the public due to the fact that his people (family) refused to believe that he didn't commit the offence which they thought he committed but thanks to the journalist who moved close to him and write his biography which many later sees including his daughter.
It was even through these that his daughter realised that her father(Hiram) had left her a particular amount of money so that she can have a decent life
I give the book the ratings of xxx of xxxx
Ma Cheryll
Currently Reading: Grace Revealed
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ma-cheryll.html
Latest Review: Beneath the Muscle by Lauren Powers

Post by Ma Cheryll »

Wow :shock2: another well-written Crime and Romance Mystery Novel👍 No wonder this is #BOTM of October👏👏👏Congrats to the author! And congratulations on this wonderful review as well :D Best Regards!
Samisah
Currently Reading: Final Notice
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samisah.html
Latest Review: Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016 by William H. Coles

Post by Samisah »

This reviewer has made me fall for the book even without seeing it! Based on this review, I think McDowell will be a good read. Its always interesting to see how people who supposedly have it all struggle to discover their true nature.
David Galaxy
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by David Galaxy »

wonderful review... I love reading books I cant really guess what happens next but the difficulty in keeping track of time spacing wears me out easily.
Sounds llke a great book though.
SomaKenya
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-somakenya.html
Latest Review: Mixed Blessings by J.M. Muse

Post by SomaKenya »

CatInTheHat, your review of McDowell is superb. I have read the book and I'm pleasantly surprised at the different angles a review can come out in.
I share your sentiments to the tee, the experiencing of all emotions some at the same time, the sharing of reactions that you would take and that taken by different characters..

Most of all I loved the way you brought out the ambiguity of timelines...I thought of it, experienced it but you penned it excellently.

Sure, it is a book I would recommend for those who haven't read it
SomaKenya
Currently Reading:

Post by SomaKenya »

Samisah wrote: 09 Oct 2018, 03:05 This reviewer has made me fall for the book even without seeing it! Based on this review, I think McDowell will be a good read. Its always interesting to see how people who supposedly have it all struggle to discover their true nature.
I totally agree, isn't it always consoling to see the people who have it all struggle to discover their true nature? Read this book Samisa, you won't regret having taken your time out on this one
SomaKenya
Currently Reading:

Post by SomaKenya »

Katerina Katapodi wrote: 05 Oct 2018, 15:13 This book of William Coles is very rich in content and scenes, besides having to give many messages to readers on life, and some people, whose life becomes ''curious'' to know; especially people who love adventure and horror, this book of variety of facts and truths of life, can help anybody. At least, besides keeping reader in suspense some times, it's interesting in terms of vocabulary and successful descriptions..
Actually the hero ''McDowell'' does not actually represent the vast majority of people, but it just reveals, to what actions one may proceed, to be satisfied in life..And living the consequences of course..a continual path of life, is reflected by hero in this book: Money, career and power; all people love money, but in what way(-s): It's sure that McDowell is talented, but he takes advantage from facts, so that he looks as if he abuses other people through them, in order to achieve his goals! Yes, his family with first wife, is almost ruined and his children too are by far involved in his life; he feels this way, like ''being drowned'' in his options and mistakes, but he cannot stop.
Some times, in the course of his life, and adventures, it seems he's lost his orientation in life. Of course, he experience glory, from his achievements as scientist, but he seems to sacrifice many moral-social values, in order to go even higher, and meets his goals. He just lives ''moments'' for 'moments', thus what life brings everytime, and he doesn't hesitate to do anything he likes, a kind of amoralist, who doesn't actually believes in values, but instead, he lives just to live, without thinking too much!-And we mention this, because this man is also a scientist, he's learnt to ''think'' as it's supposed..in advance if so!..He just follows path of life, and to where it takes him, but one would wonder, whether he can lead his life,or left to be taken by it, to somewhere else, than he initially believes and believed. Is he a selfish person, or is his options in life are based on loving adventure, and not being afraid of anything, not taking account of his family and children or so. A game with destiny rather, and until end of book, reader will be curious and interested in knowing, what end will be..
The fact of treating women as sexual objects, show a rather hard and immoral person, who treats women this way for pleasure or just win the game with them.. The fact also he cheats his third wife, may tell a lot on his personality. And the end is interesting enough..say so for reader, rich scenes, written in dialogues of rich vocabulary, so in the end only, can a reader draw his own conclusions..
I give 4 Star to this book!...

Sure Katapodi, it is a book that can help one in life, something I loved most as well and that it is not in the category of self help books but does just that.
SomaKenya
Currently Reading:

Post by SomaKenya »

Meritus wrote: 05 Oct 2018, 04:51 Its an interesting review with characters that one can relate to. I definitely want it
Have you gotten it already,Meritus? and welcome to the OBC
SomaKenya
Currently Reading:

Post by SomaKenya »

Georgia Lyonhyde wrote: 05 Oct 2018, 18:38 The reviews for this book have been outstanding. Yours is no exception. I am so excited to begin reading it for myself. For some reason, I find myself thinking about another novel, Shantaram, just because of all the emotions that are stirred and the fact that the main character has done some bad deeds but has to seek redemption.

Wow Georgia, your comment sounds like you are a good reader and reviewer, I would like to read your review. You'll surely enjoy McDowell, take it from a person who has read it too
SomaKenya
Currently Reading:

Post by SomaKenya »

Fati-bola wrote: 03 Oct 2018, 13:41 I agree with the reviewer completely. McDowell appealed to my emotions as it tugged at my rational mind as well. It's truly an in-person story realistically depicted and well crafted. Thanks for this great review.
Truly agree with your sentiments
Georgia Lyonhyde
Currently Reading: A Tale For The Time Being
Bookshelf Size: 123
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-georgia-lyonhyde.html
Latest Review: Snatched Up to Heaven! by Jemima Paul and Arvind Paul

Post by Georgia Lyonhyde »

SomaKenya wrote: 18 Oct 2018, 02:29
Georgia Lyonhyde wrote: 05 Oct 2018, 18:38 The reviews for this book have been outstanding. Yours is no exception. I am so excited to begin reading it for myself. For some reason, I find myself thinking about another novel, Shantaram, just because of all the emotions that are stirred and the fact that the main character has done some bad deeds but has to seek redemption.

Wow Georgia, your comment sounds like you are a good reader and reviewer, I would like to read your review. You'll surely enjoy McDowell, take it from a person who has read it too
Aw thank you. I have literally just finished the book and am putting the finishing touches to my review. I really loved it and I stand by my comment about the comparison. It's a wonderful story although I wish there was more detail in the final few chapters. I think we could have seen a bigger display of emotions from Sophie especially.
You know you’ve read a good book when you turn the last page and feel a little as if you have lost a friend.
–Paul Sweeney :tiphat:

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”