Forum Navigation: Forum Index » Books and Reading » Reviews and Discussions about Specific Books and Series » Volunteer Reviews

Want FREE books and FREE Amazon gift cards?

Each day we announce via email a book that is either FREE or on a temporary sale at a great discount price. These are not your average free books. These are incredible insider deals on well-rated books. OnlineBookClub.org is where tomorrow's bestsellers are born. We also give away over $1,000 per month of free Amazon gift cards in free daily giveaways, exclusively to those signed up to these announcements! Hurry, sign up free now:

Sorry, this proves you are human.

Review by Slimer -- Border Post 99 by Kedar Patankar

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.

Review by Slimer -- Border Post 99 by Kedar Patankar

Post Number:#1 by Ren B
» 25 Jul 2017, 21:23

[Following is a volunteer review of "Border Post 99" by Kedar Patankar.]

Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Review by Ren B
Share This Review

Border Post 99: No Man’s Land by Kedar Patankar
Published by: Global Mind Publishing

Along the Pakistan-India border, formed in 1947, there are stretches of land to which neither country has an undisputed claim. These stretches of land are referred to as “no man’s land.” There is an understanding, albeit unspoken and unwritten, that neither side will station soldiers or weaponry in no man’s land.

India’s Post 99 isn’t acknowledged on a map because it’s located in no man’s land. It is Lieutenant Mangesh Sharma’s turn to patrol Post 99 for the next six weeks. Having just graduated from the Indian Military Academy, he is all nerves. Despite reassurances from Major Jadhav, Sharma’s commanding officer, that it will be an easy but solitary six weeks, Lt. Sharma is not the only person or thing prowling around Post 99.

Some of my favorite books are centered around war and military conflict. They touch on the gruesomeness, heartbreak, terror, hypocrisy and even love and humor that go on during such tumultuous times. No matter how macabre, I’m pulled into these stories in such a way that I always end up strongly rooting for or against the characters (almost pleading with the author, please let something go right, don’t kill this one, it can’t happen this way); however, it can be exhausting. It was with these expectations that I read Border Post 99: No Man’s Land. I was pleasantly surprised that the primary conflict in the novel is not about the destructiveness of war, but whether or not individuals can overcome the divisiveness of war. Border Post 99: No Man’s Land is stimulating without being taxing, allowing it to appeal to those who do not necessarily enjoy books of a grim nature.

There isn’t anything I disliked about this book. I admit I found myself smiling at a few of Major Jadhav’s appearances. While I don’t believe it was the author’s intention, I could not help imagining the Major as a similar persona to the Chief (or 'C'), Hawthorne’s boss, from Graham Greene’s Our Man in Havana. I have zero reason to think the author designed the Major in a comical fashion, even a dark one; however, if he did, it’s one of several subtle strokes of cleverness.

I give this book 4 out of 4 stars. The writing was uncluttered but not artless. The details in the writing are necessary, but not explained in an excessive manner. For example, within the evergreen forest that extends all around Post 99, the author mentions the presence of an oak tree and later a poplar tree. I thoroughly enjoyed Border Post 99: No Man’s Land and recommend it to everyone. It is a work of fiction, more or less taking place in modern day.

Border Post 99
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Slimer's review? Post a comment saying so!
Ren B's Latest Review: "H" by Ray Palla
Ren B

Currently Reading: in a dark, dark wood
Bookshelf Size: 110 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 0 Books
Goal Completion: 0%

Did you know?

Once you join the forums and log in you will get to enjoy a very ad-reduced experience. It's easy and completely free!

Re: Review by Slimer -- Border Post 99 by Kedar Patankar

Post Number:#2 by Izesicle
» 10 Aug 2017, 19:34

I don't like war stories but I can definitely relate to rooting for your characters. Ahem, game of thrones. 😀Feel free to check out my review. I rated it 4 out of 4 stars.
Izesicle

Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 51 books

View Reviewer Page
Reading Device: Kindle Paperwhite
2017 Reading Goal: 20 Books
Goal Completion: 55%

Post Number:#3 by Ren B
» 10 Aug 2017, 19:54

Izesicle wrote:I don't like war stories but I can definitely relate to rooting for your characters. Ahem, game of thrones. 😀Feel free to check out my review. I rated it 4 out of 4 stars.

Such a good book. Also, GoT...such a good show. :D :shock:
Ren B's Latest Review: "H" by Ray Palla
Ren B

Currently Reading: in a dark, dark wood
Bookshelf Size: 110 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 0 Books
Goal Completion: 0%

Post Number:#4 by Darakhshan Nazir
» 12 Aug 2017, 13:22

These two countries always had a rough time since 1997 .
I really liked your review 😊😊😊
"The night wasn't dark, it was her soul"
-Darakhshan Nazir
Darakhshan Nazir

Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 20 Books
Goal Completion: 65%