Official Review: My Baby My Baby by Michael Charters

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Jaime Lync
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jaime-lync.html
Latest Review: You Are A Christian. NOW WHAT? by James Rondinone

Official Review: My Baby My Baby by Michael Charters

Post by Jaime Lync »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "My Baby My Baby" by Michael Charters.]
Book Cover
1 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

My Baby My Baby by Michael Charters is a fictional novel set in modern day England, written in the first person perspective of Susan Barnes, a witch who is dying from a rare terminal degenerative disease. Susan is not the stereotypical witch (no flying broomstick and magic potions). In fact, throughout the story, she questions her own claim to be a witch because she has yet to perform any magic. Her doctor has proclaimed that she has less than one hundred days to live. This ultimatum spurs her to obtain what she has desired for so long, a baby. How will Susan get a baby with only a few months to lives? Will she be able to use magic to heal herself? It would be convenient to simply urge you to read this book and find out the answers to these questions. Unfortunately, I would not recommend this book to anyone. Although the characters were very well developed, the ending was disappointing.

Susan became a witch by becoming a member of a Wicca cult. According to the Merriam-Webster dictionary, “Wicca is a religion ...that affirms the existence of supernatural powers (as magic) and of both male and female deities…” From the very first page, Susan begins her insulting remarks about God. It doesn’t take long before she extends her insults towards Christians and Muslims. I believe that bashing these religious views is a major ‘turn off’ for many readers. Charters employed characters that claim to hold these religious views but are obviously not in tune with the truths that these religions preach.

Moreover, Charters’ writing style is extremely long-winded. I was tempted to skip pages filled with paragraphs that did not add to the plot. Susan rambled on and on in a very irritating and repetitive manner. The first sentence in the novel was, “I am dying very fast.” This led me to believe that I would be reading a fast-paced novel. This was not the case. My Baby My Baby has 29 chapters and it is almost 700 pages long. It would have been a more enjoyable read if it was not so long and slow paced.

I must admit that for its length there were little grammatical errors. However, the few mistakes that I did see were blatant errors that could have been easily removed with one more proofreading from a professional editor. The only formatting error that I identified was that the table of contents was at the end of the book.

In conclusion, I rate My Baby My Baby 1 out of 4 stars. I am not a fan of giving such low ratings. However, I cannot see myself recommending this novel to anyone.

My Baby My Baby
View: on Bookshelves

Like Jaime Lync's review? Post a comment saying so!
Ekuma Stanley
Bookshelf Size: 7

Post by Ekuma Stanley »

Wow the book had almost caught my attention as I have developed the curiosity to know the aftermath of Susan Babes, for making such blasphemy against her creator.
MoOha
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by MoOha »

Good book to read
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I saw this one to review. Now I'm really glad I didn't decide to read it. Glad you made it through. Thanks for the review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Eryco

Post by Eryco »

The book My Baby My Baby is a wanting book to read.....with its epic events .....
Nanettenana

Post by Nanettenana »

Nice book indeed, although its disappointing the reader towards the end, the reader is eager to find out if Susan would actually become a witch within the few days left but it turns out she joins other forces to meet her reality of being a witch. This is disappointing but all the same its a nice book worth reading and recommending.
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by Amagine »

There is nothing worse than an incredibly long and slow-paced book. Hopefully the author gives the book a good rewrite and editting.

Great Review! ?
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Jaime Lync
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jaime-lync.html
Latest Review: You Are A Christian. NOW WHAT? by James Rondinone

Post by Jaime Lync »

Thanks everyone who read and commented on my review.
keneth Korir

Post by keneth Korir »

Wow it's a good book,I will have it so that I can read again and again,thanks to the author.
EDINAH JELAGAT

Post by EDINAH JELAGAT »

reading give us knowledge and understanding about somewhere to go or live
George kaniu

Post by George kaniu »

It is not a bad book by the way according to the review it is amazing and there is a lot of life
Alex Esendi

Post by Alex Esendi »

Good book encouraging
jenmwo

Post by jenmwo »

Wow the book my baby my baby, so fantastic and an interesting story with life lessons
Juliet Esther
Currently Reading: That place of knowledge
Bookshelf Size: 231
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliet-esther.html
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole

Post by Juliet Esther »

I thought the book was interesting at the beginning of the review but then i got discouraged in the middle, i think the storyline is interesting if not for it's shortcomings. I don't think I'd read the book,mainly cause of the length. Thank you for the nice and honest review
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole
LadyClaire
Currently Reading: Keys to Tetouan
Bookshelf Size: 91
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ladyclaire.html
Latest Review: "My Trip To Adele" by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer

Post by LadyClaire »

You're dead right. It sure is a major turnoff but I must say it's remarkable that for a book so long, you found few grammatical errors.
I think I'll skip, though. Thanks for the review.
To be without some of the things you want is an indispensable part of happiness.
-Bertrand Russel
Latest Review: "My Trip To Adele" by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”